Posted to alt.home.repair
Tekkie® Tekkie® is offline

Default Fire Extinguishers - when need to replace?

The Daring Dufas posted for all of us...

And I know how to SNIP

On 9/20/2013 8:31 PM, Tekkie® wrote:
Oren posted for all of us...

And I know how to SNIP

On Mon, 16 Sep 2013 12:31:50 -0700, "Bob F"
wrote:

Anyone here, besides myself, ever work in a place that used Halon
fire suppression systems in an area?

Is halon still used in new systems? I thought they outlawed it.
CFC's.

I have no clue. I did work in an area in ~1992. A "Control Center"
above a basement with sensitive equipment below for the entire
facility.

Policy required that a person NOT abandon the control center. Also
required a second person to open a second exterior (sally port entry)
door that required a push button to get out in emergency without a
second person to open the outside door with a key.

Given this, you could possibly die if the system activated in a fire.
ISTR halon takes all the oxygen from the room space (size of a single
garage).

Not sure if the system has been changed since then. You could not
knock the security glass to escape.

Halon systems are designed to dump to certain
level above the floor. IIRC 4' Therefore provide
breathing air to occupants. The are also complex
to design and build because the doors must be
sealed and ceiling tiles must be clipped to keep
them from blowing out. All penetrations must be
sealed but that is code anyway...

The system I was in on installing was designed to fill the air with a 5%
concentration of Halon 1301 which was nontoxic at that level to humans.
On the other hand, the system was tested with Halon 1211 which
is very toxic. The 1301 was used used rather than CO2 which would
smother any personnel who happened to be in the facility when fire broke
out. ^_^

TDD

Not if stumped used his majik undies to filter it.
Ahh the aroma of comet.

--
Tekkie