Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Hauling With A Chain

I want to use a chain to haul a fallen tree out of the marshy area up to solid ground where I can saw it up. I have a long chain but it doesn't have chain hooks on the ends. Will it hold if I wrap it around the trunk a few times then do a double knot with it? It seems like the links of the chain should grab onto each other as the pulling starts and keep it from slipping.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 1, 4:22*pm, Pavel314 wrote:
I want to use a chain to haul a fallen tree out of the marshy area up to solid ground where I can saw it up. I have a long chain but it doesn't have chain hooks on the ends. Will it hold if I wrap it around the trunk a few times then do a double knot with it? It seems like the links of the chain should grab onto each other as the pulling starts and keep it from slipping.

It would seem to me that a hook is only one way of securing
a chain. Another could be a bolt, washers and a nut.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 1 Apr 2013 13:26:37 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Apr 1, 4:22*pm, Pavel314 wrote:
I want to use a chain to haul a fallen tree out of the marshy area up to solid ground where I can saw it up. I have a long chain but it doesn't have chain hooks on the ends. Will it hold if I wrap it around the trunk a few times then do a double knot with it? It seems like the links of the chain should grab onto each other as the pulling starts and keep it from slipping.

It would seem to me that a hook is only one way of securing
a chain. Another could be a bolt, washers and a nut.

Agree. Still, with enough length in the chain (once wrapped) to tie a
good knot will work.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/1/2013 4:22 PM, Pavel314 wrote:
I want to use a chain to haul a fallen tree out of the marshy area up to solid ground where I can saw it up. I have a long chain but it doesn't have chain hooks on the ends. Will it hold if I wrap it around the trunk a few times then do a double knot with it? It seems like the links of the chain should grab onto each other as the pulling starts and keep it from slipping.

Use a bolt and nut to secure the chain.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
wrote:
On Mon, 01 Apr 2013 17:07:04 -0400, Chuck wrote:

Use a bolt and nut to secure the chain.

...snipped...
If I thought I would ever use this chain for hauling anything again I
would get a couple "clevis" grab hooks and make a real tow chain out
of it.

http://tinyurl.com/c7nek38

A sling hook rather than a grab hook would be better for the end that
goes around the log.

http://www.gunnebojohnson.com/grabiq...kn-sling-hook/

Allows the chain loop to tighten around the log.

Larry W. - Baltimore Maryland - lwasserm(a)sdf. lonestar.org

Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

wrote:

On Apr 1, 4:22 pm, Pavel314 wrote:
I want to use a chain to haul a fallen tree out of the marshy area up to
solid ground where I can saw it up. I have a long chain but it doesn't
have chain hooks on the ends. Will it hold if I wrap it around the trunk
a few times then do a double knot with it? It seems like the links of
the chain should grab onto each other as the pulling starts and keep it
from slipping.

It would seem to me that a hook is only one way of securing
a chain. Another could be a bolt, washers and a nut.

Agree. Still, with enough length in the chain (once wrapped) to tie a
good knot will work.

But, it may take forever to get the chain off after it tightened up.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Padlock.
..
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
..
wrote in message

It would seem to me that a hook is only one way of securing
a chain. Another could be a bolt, washers and a nut.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Pavel314" wrote in message

I want to use a chain to haul a fallen tree out of the marshy area up to
solid ground
. . . I have a long chain but it doesn't have chain hooks on the ends.

You can add a chain hook (or two) with a special link called a clevis,
sold at hardware or auto parts stores for about $5.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Posted to alt.home.repair

I had a nylon rope bind, one time. I let someone else tie, and he didn't
know how to do a bowline. Lost a foot or so off my good tow rope, due to his
inexperience.
..
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
..
wrote in message

There is a very good chance that a knot will
bind and never come apart.

If I thought I would ever use this chain for hauling anything again I
would get a couple "clevis" grab hooks and make a real tow chain out
of it.

http://tinyurl.com/c7nek38

Match the hook size to the chain size. You can usually do better than
Grainger on price.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 1 Apr 2013 17:49:56 -0400, "EXT"
wrote:

It would seem to me that a hook is only one way of securing
a chain. Another could be a bolt, washers and a nut.

Agree. Still, with enough length in the chain (once wrapped) to tie a
good knot will work.

But, it may take forever to get the chain off after it tightened up.

Had it happen. Think hammer.

The answer is a bolt / nut OR a long 4" nylon strap used in four
wheeling.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Pavel314 wrote:

I want to use a chain to haul a fallen tree out of the marshy area up to
solid ground where I can saw it up. I have a long chain but it doesn't have
chain hooks on the ends. Will it hold if I wrap it around the trunk a few
times then do a double knot with it? It seems like the links of the chain
should grab onto each other as the pulling starts and keep it from slipping.

I think if I were to do this with the chain alone, I'd use a Timber
hitch, or the closely relater Killick hitch. Note that I've never tried
either in chain.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timber_hitch

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Killick_hitch

As others have said, probably your best bet is a the biggest diameter
bolt that'll go through your chain links.

Be careful... good luck!

Erik
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 1 Apr 2013 17:49:56 -0400, "EXT"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

On Apr 1, 4:22 pm, Pavel314 wrote:
I want to use a chain to haul a fallen tree out of the marshy area up to
solid ground where I can saw it up. I have a long chain but it doesn't
have chain hooks on the ends. Will it hold if I wrap it around the trunk
a few times then do a double knot with it? It seems like the links of
the chain should grab onto each other as the pulling starts and keep it
from slipping.

It would seem to me that a hook is only one way of securing
a chain. Another could be a bolt, washers and a nut.

Agree. Still, with enough length in the chain (once wrapped) to tie a
good knot will work.

But, it may take forever to get the chain off after it tightened up.

It may hold - and it may not. You don't want to find out it won't
when it is under stress - and the chain comes after your ass when it
lets go!!!. BOLT it if you don't have hooks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 1 Apr 2013 17:57:22 -0400, "Don Phillipson"
wrote:

"Pavel314" wrote in message

I want to use a chain to haul a fallen tree out of the marshy area up to
solid ground
. . . I have a long chain but it doesn't have chain hooks on the ends.

You can add a chain hook (or two) with a special link called a clevis,
sold at hardware or auto parts stores for about $5.

Or you can by a "repair link" that screws together.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/1/2013 4:22 PM, Pavel314 wrote:
I want to use a chain to haul a fallen tree out of the marshy area up to solid ground where I can saw it up. I have a long chain but it doesn't have chain hooks on the ends. Will it hold if I wrap it around the trunk a few times then do a double knot with it? It seems like the links of the chain should grab onto each other as the pulling starts and keep it from slipping.

I've done it a couple of times when I had a firewood business. If
tightly wrapped around the tree, the chain will bite into the bark and
hopefully you have some wider trunk area before the chain wrap so the
chain can't slip off. The only downside is if the branches are hung up
on other trees etc.

However take the advice of many people in this thread: Find a way to
get a temporary hook on that chain. In the long run, it's safer and easier.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, April 1, 2013 8:40:01 PM UTC-4, Hench wrote:
On 4/1/2013 4:22 PM, Pavel314 wrote:

I want to use a chain to haul a fallen tree out of the marshy area up to solid ground where I can saw it up. I have a long chain but it doesn't have chain hooks on the ends. Will it hold if I wrap it around the trunk a few times then do a double knot with it? It seems like the links of the chain should grab onto each other as the pulling starts and keep it from slipping.

I've done it a couple of times when I had a firewood business. If

tightly wrapped around the tree, the chain will bite into the bark and

hopefully you have some wider trunk area before the chain wrap so the

chain can't slip off. The only downside is if the branches are hung up

on other trees etc.

However take the advice of many people in this thread: Find a way to

get a temporary hook on that chain. In the long run, it's safer and easier.

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions. I'd forgotten about the possibility of the chain getting permanently stuck from knotting. Years ago I found an old chain in the barn which had a big tangled knot on the end. I guess someone else didn't have a hook handy many years ago. I managed to get it unstuck with a hammer and channel locks. Not that I needed the chain for anything at the time, it was just a big metal puzzle.

I picked up two chain hooks with clevis pins at Home Depot this evening for about $5 each. They're rated at about two tons so they should do the job.

Paul
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Pavel314" wrote in message
I want to use a chain to haul a fallen tree out of the marshy area up to
solid ground where I can saw it up. I have a long chain but it doesn't have
chain hooks on the ends. Will it hold if I wrap it around the trunk a few
times then do a double knot with it? It seems like the links of the chain
should grab onto each other as the pulling starts and keep it from slipping.

* * * *

Follow me on this: Tie a clove hitch, and leave the short end about one
foot long. Tie it down a ways from the end. Move up the tree, making half
hitches every foot or two. As you pull the chain, each half hitch will bind
the tree tauter. The ending clove hitch will secure the chain from pulling
off, but all of the strain will be on the first half hitch towards the
truck, and each successive one will have less strain. The last clove hitch
just anchors the chain to the tree.

Look up clove hitch and half hitch. Simple stuff used when you really need
to have a bind on something that might slip.

Another thing to use would be a timber hitch, although it could slip with a
chain. Again, a timber hitch is simple to tie and untie, and will pull hard
without slipping. If you do use the timber hitch, pull the running end
through the loop in the chain all the way tight before you put a bind on the
thing, as if it is loose, the chain will not bite on itself due to the
nature of the individual links, and not run up tight like a rope used in the
same situation would do.

The clove hitch/half hitches idea would require multiple knots, and the
timber hitch would require one.

Let me know if you need pics, and I will post them on flickr.

I was an Offshore Petroleum Institute certified rigger, and union certified
a few times.

HTH

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On Mon, 1 Apr 2013 17:49:56 -0400, "EXT"
wrote:

. ..
wrote:

[...]

Bolt is bad idea. Unsafe.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Pavel314" wrote

I picked up two chain hooks with clevis pins at Home Depot this evening for
about $5 each. They're rated at about two tons so they should do the job.

Paul

NEVER EVER use the words should and probably when describing if a rigging
technique will work. It will either work or fail. And you need to make it
three times stronger than what you intend to pull.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 1 Apr 2013 19:11:17 -0700 (PDT), Pavel314
wrote:

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions. I'd forgotten about the possibility of the chain getting permanently stuck from knotting. Years ago I found an old chain in the barn which had a big tangled knot on the end. I guess someone else didn't have a hook handy many years ago. I managed to get it unstuck with a hammer and channel locks. Not that I needed the chain for anything at the time, it was just a big metal puzzle.

Why I mentioned a hammer on the knot in the chain. Done a number of
times pulling trucks out of the swamp. Pound it a few times. It will
give some slack to take the knot out.

Hooks are good, unless you have no place to hook them without damage.

Knots in the chain work :-\

BTDT
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 1 Apr 2013 19:30:13 -0700, "Steve B" wrote:

.. .

wrote:

[...]

Depends on the bolt - and the bolt needs to be TIGHT - with proper
washers. And it needs to be properly installed - you don't want the
bolt to be taking the full load. Chain doubled back means the bolt
only carries half the load. Don't want a grade 2 OR a grade 8 bolt. 2
is too soft and weak, 8 is too hard and brittle - so that leaves a
grade 5 - it can bend without snapping or tearing (stretching).

A proper hook is always best - and a good "link" is better than a bolt
- but a bolt is better than a knot - or a safety FOR a knot.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 1 Apr 2013 19:33:45 -0700, "Steve B" wrote:

"Pavel314" wrote

I picked up two chain hooks with clevis pins at Home Depot this evening for
about $5 each. They're rated at about two tons so they should do the job.

Paul

NEVER EVER use the words should and probably when describing if a rigging
technique will work. It will either work or fail. And you need to make it
three times stronger than what you intend to pull.

Steve

And a chain wrapped around something and hooked to itself puts half
the full load on the hook. Almost always better than a straight hook
connection
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions. I'd forgotten about the possibility of the chain getting permanently stuck from knotting. Years ago I found an old chain in the barn which had a big tangled knot on the end. I guess someone else didn't have a hook handy many years ago. I managed to get it unstuck with a hammer and channel locks. Not that I needed the chain for anything at the time, it was just a big metal puzzle.

Why I mentioned a hammer on the knot in the chain. Done a number of
times pulling trucks out of the swamp. Pound it a few times. It will
give some slack to take the knot out.

Hooks are good, unless you have no place to hook them without damage.

Knots in the chain work :-\

BTDT

Wrapping the chain and hooking the chain to itself is still better
than the knot - and you don't need anywhere to "place the hook"
without damage. If you can do it with a knot, you CAN do it with a
proper hook. Different hook to grab a link than to "cinch" with a
chain.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 2 Apr 2013 00:17:30 +0000 (UTC), DerbyDad03
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

chains don't store energy, so rarely come after you like a tow strap/rope
do, or so i've heard.

Someone should tell that to this chain:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VK0HSBAcG8c&sns=em

I watched it twice. I saw him sit down on the pavement, but I never
saw the chain do more than budge. Do I need a still faster internet
connection? I thought Replay got the data from my harddrive and not
the Internet.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 1, 9:22*pm, Pavel314 wrote:
I want to use a chain to haul a fallen tree out of the marshy area up to solid ground where I can saw it up. I have a long chain but it doesn't have chain hooks on the ends. Will it hold if I wrap it around the trunk a few times then do a double knot with it? It seems like the links of the chain should grab onto each other as the pulling starts and keep it from slipping.

You might not get the knot undone is my experience.

The best way failing a hook is to wrap the chain round several times
and secure with fencing wire threaded through the links a few times
and twisted up.
Cut off afterwards.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Pavel314 wrote:
I want to use a chain to haul a fallen tree out of the marshy area up
to solid ground where I can saw it up. I have a long chain but it
doesn't have chain hooks on the ends. Will it hold if I wrap it
around the trunk a few times then do a double knot with it? It seems
like the links of the chain should grab onto each other as the
pulling starts and keep it from slipping.

If you just wrap it, it will unwrap. It will hold if you make a clove
hitch.

Also if you use a shackle; or a nut and bolt; or even with a piece of rebar
stuck through links and secured so it doesn't slide out.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Did you not see the portion of the chain on the ground come whipping back
towards the worker?

Don't watch the chain on the left side of the screen. Watch the chain on
the right that goes out towards the water.

Posted to alt.home.repair

The hooks will make the chain much more versatile, and I'd guess you will
get your money's worth out of the hooks. Very wise choice.
..
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
..
"Pavel314" wrote in message

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions. I'd forgotten about the
possibility of the chain getting permanently stuck from knotting. Years ago
I found an old chain in the barn which had a big tangled knot on the end. I
guess someone else didn't have a hook handy many years ago. I managed to get
it unstuck with a hammer and channel locks. Not that I needed the chain for
anything at the time, it was just a big metal puzzle.

I picked up two chain hooks with clevis pins at Home Depot this evening for
about $5 each. They're rated at about two tons so they should do the job.

Paul

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bolt and nut sure got a lot of mention.

Best Richard Dawson voice:
"Survey...... SAYS!!!!!"
..
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
..
"Steve B" wrote in message

It may hold - and it may not. You don't want to find out it won't
when it is under stress - and the chain comes after your ass when it
lets go!!!. BOLT it if you don't have hooks.

Bolt is bad idea. Unsafe.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Stuck in the mud / was: Hauling With A Chain

I bought a used Ford Ranger pickup. Came with some wood scraps in the back.
The guy suggested I just drive out back and throw the wood in the burn pile.
It was a bit wet, but he says we can always pull you out with the tractor. I
drove out, but it wasn't one of my better judgement calls. I came walking
back, with wet feet.

So, the seller fired up the tractor, and went after the Ford. Got the
tractor stuck up to its axle in mud, too. He tried various things under the
wheels, none helped much.

He had an old Jeep, a really old one. Enclosed cab model, with a bit of
enclosed space in the back. A bit like a Chevy Suburban. Used that to pull
the tractor, and my truck out.

This all took several days, in which time I wasn't driving my "new to me"
truck. I should have just carried the scrap out back. Or, dump the scrap on
the driveway and lethim put it on the burn pile.

And, also, thanks for the memory.
..
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
..
"Oren" wrote in message

No doubt and I agree with using hooks on the chain.

Still a knot works when necessary. We were almost knee deep in mud one
day in a swamp. A flatbed '67 Chevy truck. STUCK!

My brother stuck a 1/4 - 1/3 stick of dynamite under the rear axle,
certain it would help (long story). WRONG.

The truck lifted and dropped into the Everglades muck. What a hole
that axle dropped into. Tires in deep. Axle under the mud.

Two more trucks, chains with and without hooks finally pulled the ole
Chevy out. It took some knots to do it.

Not to mention two days me and my bride spent stuck another time (I
was AWOL from work)

Thanks for the memory.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 1 Apr 2013 21:40:47 +0000 (UTC),
(Larry W) wrote:

In article ,
wrote:
On Mon, 01 Apr 2013 17:07:04 -0400, Chuck wrote:

Use a bolt and nut to secure the chain.

...snipped...
If I thought I would ever use this chain for hauling anything again I
would get a couple "clevis" grab hooks and make a real tow chain out
of it.

http://tinyurl.com/c7nek38

A sling hook rather than a grab hook would be better for the end that
goes around the log.

http://www.gunnebojohnson.com/grabiq...kn-sling-hook/

Allows the chain loop to tighten around the log.

+1-- Grab hook on the 'tractor' end-- slip hook on the log. That
allows you to shorten up the chain if need be.

BTDT

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

micky wrote:

On Tue, 2 Apr 2013 00:17:30 +0000 (UTC), DerbyDad03
wrote:

-snip-
chains don't store energy, so rarely come after you like a tow strap/rope
do, or so i've heard.

Someone should tell that to this chain:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VK0HSBAcG8c&sns=em

I watched it twice. I saw him sit down on the pavement, but I never
saw the chain do more than budge. Do I need a still faster internet
connection? I thought Replay got the data from my harddrive and not
the Internet.

Watch the *other* chain. to the right of the focus point.

I'm impressed-- I've seen a couple log chains break but with a lot
less drama. Still better than a rope or cable.

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 1, 1:26*pm, "
wrote:
On Apr 1, 4:22*pm, Pavel314 wrote:

I want to use a chain to haul a fallen tree out of the marshy area up to solid ground where I can saw it up. I have a long chain but it doesn't have chain hooks on the ends. Will it hold if I wrap it around the trunk a few times then do a double knot with it? It seems like the links of the chain should grab onto each other as the pulling starts and keep it from slipping.

It would seem to me that a hook is only one way of securing
a chain. *Another could be a bolt, washers and a nut.

Or spend a few bucks for one of those 'add a link' where one leg of
the link scews open, or one that slips on then gets pound flat, etc.
A few moments in the 'chain' area of any hardware store will give a
lot of easy solutions.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 1, 2:40*pm, (Larry W) wrote:
In article ,

http://www.gunnebojohnson.com/grabiq...-sling-systems...

Allows the chain loop to tighten around the log.

--
* * *Better to be stuck up in a tree than tied to one.

* * *Larry W. - Baltimore Maryland - lwasserm(a)sdf. lonestar.org

The standard method is "sling" on one end, "grab" on the other.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 1, 4:12*pm, Erik wrote:
In article ,

*Pavel314 wrote:
I want to use a chain to haul a fallen tree out of the marshy area up to
solid ground where I can saw it up. I have a long chain but it doesn't have
chain hooks on the ends. Will it hold if I wrap it around the trunk a few
times then do a double knot with it? It seems like the links of the chain
should grab onto each other as the pulling starts and keep it from slipping.

I think if I were to do this with the chain alone, I'd use a Timber
hitch, or the closely relater Killick hitch. Note that I've never tried
either in chain.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timber_hitch

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Killick_hitch

As others have said, probably your best bet is a the biggest diameter
bolt that'll go through your chain links.

Be careful... good luck!

Erik

No, the best bet is to use a clevis, repair link, etc that is DESIGNED
to take the load. I cut firewood and have over 400 ft of various
chains, cables, tow straps, etc. and I gaurantee you I would never use
a bolt for that purpose. The right thing is available for not much
money in any hardware store in the chain section.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, April 1, 2013 4:22:40 PM UTC-4, Pavel314 wrote:
I want to use a chain to haul a fallen tree out of the marshy area up to solid ground where I can saw it up. I have a long chain but it doesn't have chain hooks on the ends. Will it hold if I wrap it around the trunk a few times then do a double knot with it? It seems like the links of the chain should grab onto each other as the pulling starts and keep it from slipping.

Surely you live somewhere near a Home Depot or Lowes. They have chain hooks for $8 each or less. It's a one-time expense and when you're done you have a much more useful chain.