Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Hauling With A Chain

On Mon, 01 Apr 2013 16:37:33 -0700, chaniarts
wrote:

On 4/1/2013 4:30 PM, wrote:
On Mon, 1 Apr 2013 17:49:56 -0400, "EXT"
wrote:

"Oren" wrote in message
On Mon, 1 Apr 2013 13:26:37 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Apr 1, 4:22 pm, Pavel314 wrote:
I want to use a chain to haul a fallen tree out of the marshy area up to
solid ground where I can saw it up. I have a long chain but it doesn't
have chain hooks on the ends. Will it hold if I wrap it around the trunk
a few times then do a double knot with it? It seems like the links of
the chain should grab onto each other as the pulling starts and keep it
from slipping.

It would seem to me that a hook is only one way of securing
a chain. Another could be a bolt, washers and a nut.

Agree. Still, with enough length in the chain (once wrapped) to tie a
good knot will work.

But, it may take forever to get the chain off after it tightened up.

It may hold - and it may not. You don't want to find out it won't
when it is under stress - and the chain comes after your ass when it
lets go!!!. BOLT it if you don't have hooks.

chains don't store energy, so rarely come after you like a tow
strap/rope do, or so i've heard.

Tell that to the chain!!! Not as nasty as a cable, but still extremely
dangerous.