Posted to rec.woodworking

Default looking for a plywood/lumber hauling trailer

I have an SUV, but no pickup, and I'm doing enough home renovations that I'm considering
getting a trailer to tow behind it, for plywood, lumber, and such. Anyone have
recommendations for something that (a) won't break the bank, but (b) will reliably
haul 4x8 ply?

-- Andy Barss
Posted to rec.woodworking

Andrew Barss wrote in
:

I have an SUV, but no pickup, and I'm doing enough home renovations
that I'm considering getting a trailer to tow behind it, for plywood,
lumber, and such. Anyone have recommendations for something that (a)
won't break the bank, but (b) will reliably haul 4x8 ply?

-- Andy Barss

If I was looking for a trailer, I'd want a covered one. Easier to
protect stuff from the wind (from driving 65mph) and the rain. They seem
to run around $2,000 for a basic one around here. A flat trailer big
enough for plywood runs around $700-$1200.

If you're only going to use it for a short time, is rental or delivery a
better option? You've not only got to purchase the trailer, but register
it as well.

FWIW, a Dodge Grand Caravan and many other mini vans with removable or
folding seats will haul 4x8 sheets just fine. Not sure about your SUV...
you may get lucky.

Puckdropper
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/31/2010 2:44 PM, Andrew Barss wrote:
I have an SUV, but no pickup, and I'm doing enough home renovations that I'm considering
getting a trailer to tow behind it, for plywood, lumber, and such. Anyone have
recommendations for something that (a) won't break the bank, but (b) will reliably
haul 4x8 ply?

-- Andy Barss

get on craigs list and find you an old pickup bed trailer. They are
priceless as far as i'm concerned. And if you decide to haul a load of
fire wood, then it'll do that too.

--
Steve Barker
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Andrew Barss" wrote in message
I have an SUV, but no pickup, and I'm doing enough home renovations that
I'm considering
getting a trailer to tow behind it, for plywood, lumber, and such. Anyone
have
recommendations for something that (a) won't break the bank, but (b) will
reliably
haul 4x8 ply?

-- Andy Barss

If you are doing home "renovations" on a continuous basis on other peoples
homes, you should consider the trailer. If you are doing home renovations
on your own home and not as a continuous ordeal, rent a truck.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 31, 4:32*pm, Puckdropper puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote:

If I was looking for a trailer, I'd want a covered one. *Easier to
protect stuff from the wind (from driving 65mph) and the rain. *They seem
to run around $2,000 for a basic one around here. *A flat trailer big
enough for plywood runs around $700-$1200.

If you're only going to use it for a short time, is rental or delivery a
better option? *You've not only got to purchase the trailer, but register
it as well.

Rental isn't a bad idea unless you think you will have the trailer a
long time and use it often. I used to rent the largest U Haul rental
(about 5' x 12' as I recall). You can haul a lot of stuff in one of
those and rental is in the $30-40/ weekend range. I now have a PJ 16'
wide bed dovetail and love it. It might be overkill for you, but it
has moved a lot of our stuff to our new location; and has been
invaluable during construction and completion of our new house. Cost
was in the $2,000 range.

RonB

RonB

Posted to rec.woodworking

Andy,

I have an SUV, but no pickup, and I'm doing enough home renovations
that I'm considering getting a trailer to tow behind it, for plywood,
lumber, and such. Anyone have recommendations for something that (a)
won't break the bank, but (b) will reliably haul 4x8 ply?

I have a "Folding Trailer Kit" I picked up a local department store for
around $200. You just need to bolt everything together, add your own
plywood floor, and wire in the lights. You can then add simple 2x4 stakes
on the sides, or build sides and/or top as extravagant as you wish. I
didn't need the folding feature, so I just bolted mine up solid.

I've been pulling mine with a 1976 VW Rabbit for over 20 years with no
problems. I've hauled plywood, sheetrock, lumber, misc building supplies,
woodstove and appliances, loads of garbage to the dump, barkdust for the
yard, and more. I can tow about 1000 pounds with ease, while still having
the space for my family and groceries in the car, and get 25mpg while doing
it. Only costs about $20/yr to license (WA State), and is covered by my
regular car insurance at no additional cost.

One of the best purchases I've ever made.

I think "Northern Hydraulics" carries similar trailers if you can't find
them locally.

Anthony
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 1 Nov 2010 18:56:31 +0000 (UTC), HerHusband
wrote:

Andy,

[...]

In Ontario it's $25 lifetime and the car insurance covers it.
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
says...

Andy,

I have an SUV, but no pickup, and I'm doing enough home renovations
that I'm considering getting a trailer to tow behind it, for plywood,
lumber, and such. Anyone have recommendations for something that (a)
won't break the bank, but (b) will reliably haul 4x8 ply?

I have a "Folding Trailer Kit" I picked up a local department store for
around $200. You just need to bolt everything together, add your own
plywood floor, and wire in the lights. You can then add simple 2x4 stakes
on the sides, or build sides and/or top as extravagant as you wish. I
didn't need the folding feature, so I just bolted mine up solid.

Harbor Fright has those, $299 right now. If you've got a 20 percent off
coupon it's 240.

I've been pulling mine with a 1976 VW Rabbit for over 20 years with no
problems. I've hauled plywood, sheetrock, lumber, misc building supplies,
woodstove and appliances, loads of garbage to the dump, barkdust for the
yard, and more. I can tow about 1000 pounds with ease, while still having
the space for my family and groceries in the car, and get 25mpg while doing
it. Only costs about $20/yr to license (WA State), and is covered by my
regular car insurance at no additional cost.

One of the best purchases I've ever made.

I think "Northern Hydraulics" carries similar trailers if you can't find
them locally.

Anthony

Posted to rec.woodworking

Thanks -- sounds just the ticket.

-- Andy

HerHusband wrote:
: Andy,

[...]

ooooooooooooooooo oooooo
Andy Barss
Department of Linguistics, University of Arizona
Communications 114A, 626-3284
ooooooooooooooooo oooooo

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 31, 3:44*pm, Andrew Barss wrote:
I have an SUV, but no pickup, and I'm doing enough home renovations that I'm considering
getting a trailer to tow behind it, for plywood, lumber, and such. *Anyone have
recommendations for something that (a) won't break the bank, but (b) will reliably
haul 4x8 ply? *

-- Andy Ba

I bought one at K-mart for many years ago. I built sides out of
2x4's and plywood so I can haul dirt and gravel. The box is only about
3 1/2 feet by 4, so I built an "outrigger" to haul sheet goods.Two
2x4's mounted to the tailgate on an angle, and one across the top,
supported by chains so the top 2x4 is the same height as the top of
the box, and about 3 feet behind it. Looks kinda goofy, but it works.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/31/2010 12:44 PM, Andrew Barss wrote:
I have an SUV, but no pickup, and I'm doing enough home renovations that I'm considering
getting a trailer to tow behind it, for plywood, lumber, and such. Anyone have
recommendations for something that (a) won't break the bank, but (b) will reliably
haul 4x8 ply?

-- Andy Barss

http://www.harborfreight.com/automotive-motorcycle/trailer-trailer-accessories.html
Posted to rec.woodworking

I seem to remember once seeing a plywood carrier that hangs off the side of
a car. Don't know if they're still available or even how much safety can be
attributed to them, but it sounds like a convenient viable option for
carrying home a 1/2 dozen sheets of ply.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 2 Nov 2010 20:14:33 -0500, "Upscale"
wrote:

I seem to remember once seeing a plywood carrier that hangs off the side of
a car. Don't know if they're still available or even how much safety can be
attributed to them, but it sounds like a convenient viable option for
carrying home a 1/2 dozen sheets of ply.

At 25 lbs per 1/4 inch of 4X8 ply, 6 sheets of 1/2 inch is 300 lbs.
I would not hang that on the side of a car - not to mention it is
illegal to block the vision out the front side window.

I've seen carriers for hauling ladders - and even 2X4s on the side of
a car in the late sixties - but I'd not put one on any modern car I
cared about.

Same goes for the roof rack. MOST car roof racks are rated at about
80 lbs., with 165 lbs being just about the highest limit on any
automotive application (like an SUV)

That's not much plywood, and even less drywall
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
At 25 lbs per 1/4 inch of 4X8 ply, 6 sheets of 1/2 inch is 300 lbs.
I would not hang that on the side of a car - not to mention it is
illegal to block the vision out the front side window.

Can't comment on the illegality of such a setup, G:, just that I seem to
remember seeing one in operation. ~ something along the lines of similar
carriers being used to haul sheets of glass. A few sheets of ply a few
inches south of most front side windows should still leave all or most of
those sheets adjacent to the side of most cars. I can envision a jury rigged
setup utilizing a hanger off the front side window, the rear side window and
hooked into a rear trunk/hatch might be possible. Of course safety is
paramount with a safe reasonably slow trip home being most prudent.

- Just trying to envison a possible setup that doesn't include the cost of a
trailer, trailer hitch and wiring harness for brake and turn signal lights.
Expense for a trailer necessarily includes costs for several additional
accessories.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

I seem to remember once seeing a plywood carrier that hangs off the side of
a car. Don't know if they're still available or even how much safety can be
attributed to them, but it sounds like a convenient viable option for
carrying home a 1/2 dozen sheets of ply.

At 25 lbs per 1/4 inch of 4X8 ply, 6 sheets of 1/2 inch is 300 lbs.
I would not hang that on the side of a car - not to mention it is
illegal to block the vision out the front side window.

I've seen carriers for hauling ladders - and even 2X4s on the side of
a car in the late sixties - but I'd not put one on any modern car I
cared about.

Same goes for the roof rack. MOST car roof racks are rated at about
80 lbs., with 165 lbs being just about the highest limit on any
automotive application (like an SUV)

That's not much plywood, and even less drywall

Off topic but I believe some will find it interesting: My grandfather was a
paperhanger and lived in a very urban South Philadelphia neighborhood.
He never owned a car or truck of his own. Mostly worked right in his
own neighborhood. I do remember though, that sometimes he and his partner
would take a bus or trolley (As they called streetcars in Philly) to a
job. They would take a ladder by holding it outside the bus through the
windows, one sitting several rows back from the other. One would get on
the bus, the other would hand him one end of the ladder, then get on
the bus himself. The first would lift up the ladder from his end so the
partner could grab the other end. These were wooden ladders too, aluminum
was not common yet. People just don't work that way an more. (And it's
a good thing they don't, many would say!)

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Upscale" wrote in
:

*snip*

- Just trying to envison a possible setup that doesn't include the
cost of a trailer, trailer hitch and wiring harness for brake and turn
signal lights. Expense for a trailer necessarily includes costs for
several additional accessories.

Even a decent pick up truck set up includes a variety of accessories. ;-)
Sometimes we might even need the light... Or a red flag. Depends on your
state/province laws regarding material extending off the bed.

Puckdropper
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article om,
Puckdropper says...

"Upscale" wrote in
:

*snip*

- Just trying to envison a possible setup that doesn't include the
cost of a trailer, trailer hitch and wiring harness for brake and turn
signal lights. Expense for a trailer necessarily includes costs for
several additional accessories.

Even a decent pick up truck set up includes a variety of accessories. ;-)
Sometimes we might even need the light... Or a red flag. Depends on your
state/province laws regarding material extending off the bed.

A decent pickup truck has a bed that will take a sheet of plywood lying
flat with the gate closed.
Posted to rec.woodworking

A utility trailer will outlast many, many tow vehicles. So many that
the long-term cost will be negligible. Plus, you'll still have it to
pass on to the grandkids. If the OP's SUV has a step bumper or a hitch
receiver, the cost of a hitch is only a few bucks, and the wiring can
be easily done yourself for the price of a connector.

I use mine all the time. Pick up a major sppliance and take the old
one to the dump -- saves the delivery charge, plus I do it when it's
convenient for me. Pick up free firewood after a wind storm -- save
money. I even take it hunting in case I ever get a deer (Could
happen!)

I'd be lost without mine.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Max is offline

"J. Clarke" wrote in message
in.local...
In article om,
Puckdropper says...

"Upscale" wrote in
:

*snip*

- Just trying to envison a possible setup that doesn't include the
cost of a trailer, trailer hitch and wiring harness for brake and turn
signal lights. Expense for a trailer necessarily includes costs for
several additional accessories.

Even a decent pick up truck set up includes a variety of accessories. ;-)
Sometimes we might even need the light... Or a red flag. Depends on your
state/province laws regarding material extending off the bed.

A decent pickup truck has a bed that will take a sheet of plywood lying
flat with the gate closed.

Yabbut who wants to buy a Ford F250 Superduty diesel just to haul plywood?

Max (owner of one)

Posted to rec.woodworking

You guys would be amazed and frightened the amount of wood I've had
strapped to the roof of my old minivan. :-)

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

"J. Clarke" wrote

An 8 foot bed is a 300 buck option on an F150. No need for an "F250
superduty diesel".

I find that amazing.

The eight foot bed should be the standard. After all, many building
materials come in 8 foot or longer lengths and many sheet good are 4 X 8.

I see so many truck out there that have extended cabs, leather seats, super
stereo systems, custom wheels and absolutely shiny, blinding paint.
Remember, way back when, trucks were actually used to do some honest work?

I had a jeep pickup for many years. It had a seven foot bed. It was OK.
But many times I missed that 8 foot bed I had on previous trucks. And when I
buy another truck, it will definitely have an eight foot bed. And it will
actually be used to do some work.

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article om,
Lee Michaels leemichaels*nadaspam* at comcast dot net wrote:

"J. Clarke" wrote

An 8 foot bed is a 300 buck option on an F150. No need for an "F250
superduty diesel".

I find that amazing.

The eight foot bed should be the standard. After all, many building
materials come in 8 foot or longer lengths and many sheet good are 4 X 8.

I see so many truck out there that have extended cabs, leather seats, super
stereo systems, custom wheels and absolutely shiny, blinding paint.
Remember, way back when, trucks were actually used to do some honest work?

...snipped...

I sure do, and plenty of dishonest work as well!

Posted to rec.woodworking

Max wrote:
"J. Clarke" wrote in message
in.local...
In article om,
Puckdropper says...

"Upscale" wrote in
:

*snip*

- Just trying to envison a possible setup that doesn't include the
cost of a trailer, trailer hitch and wiring harness for brake and
turn signal lights. Expense for a trailer necessarily includes
costs for several additional accessories.

Even a decent pick up truck set up includes a variety of
accessories. ;-) Sometimes we might even need the light... Or a red
flag. Depends on your state/province laws regarding material
extending off the bed.

A decent pickup truck has a bed that will take a sheet of plywood
lying flat with the gate closed.

Yabbut who wants to buy a Ford F250 Superduty diesel just to haul
plywood?
Max (owner of one)

Huh??? Every half ton pickup out there comes in a full sized bed that will
haul plywood. Even the 6 foot beds will do the job with the tailgate down.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Lee Michaels wrote:
"J. Clarke" wrote

An 8 foot bed is a 300 buck option on an F150. No need for an "F250
superduty diesel".

I find that amazing.

The eight foot bed should be the standard. After all, many building
materials come in 8 foot or longer lengths and many sheet good are 4
X 8.
I see so many truck out there that have extended cabs, leather seats,
super stereo systems, custom wheels and absolutely shiny, blinding
paint. Remember, way back when, trucks were actually used to do some
honest work?
I had a jeep pickup for many years. It had a seven foot bed. It was
OK. But many times I missed that 8 foot bed I had on previous trucks.
And when I buy another truck, it will definitely have an eight foot
bed. And it will actually be used to do some work.

Oh geeze Lew - don't even get me started. My truck has an extended cab and
a 6 foot box. Hasn't stopped me from hauling sheet goods, and it does some
real work. Don't believe it? Come on up to central NY this winter for a
looksee. There are compromises in everything. I wanted an extended cab for
a lot of reasons, and I don't regret it for one moment. At the same time, I
needed a turning radius that a full 8 foot bed wouldn't provide. Now go
ahead and call my truck a sissy truck if you choose, but you'd look awful
foolish doing so.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 3 Nov 2010 22:19:20 -0400, "Mike Marlow"
wrote:

Lee Michaels wrote:
[...]

I owned a shortbed F-150/standard cab before the standard cab/standard
bed (6.5') Tundra and never had a problem with anything but 16-20'
sticks of lumber in 'em. My F-150 had a tighter turning radius than
my sister's 1973 BLMC MGB-GT.

I got 2,060 lbs of 1/4- gravel in the Tundra bed (with plenty of
suspension travel left over) a couple weeks ago, then two yards of
bark the following week. Not a problem.

My first pickup was a 1960 F-100 with a full-sized bed. Both my newer
trucks turn in much tighter circles than it did, and it would outturn
anything on the road today with either an extended cab or long bet.

I HATE WIDE TURNING RADII! Just say "NO!" to longbeds.

--
Experience is a good teacher, but she send in terrific bills.
-- Minna Thomas Antrim
Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Max is offline

"Mike Marlow" wrote in message
Max wrote:
"J. Clarke" wrote in message
in.local...
In article om,
Puckdropper says...

"Upscale" wrote in
:

*snip*

[...]

I think you've been whooshed.

Max

Posted to rec.woodworking

Max wrote:
"Mike Marlow" wrote in message
Max wrote:
"J. Clarke" wrote in message
in.local...
In article om,
Puckdropper says...

"Upscale" wrote in
:

*snip*

[...]

Ya know what - that very thought occurred to me not long after sending out
that reply. Damn...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

[...]