Posted to rec.woodworking

Default looking for a plywood/lumber hauling trailer

In article ,
says...

Andy,

I have an SUV, but no pickup, and I'm doing enough home renovations
that I'm considering getting a trailer to tow behind it, for plywood,
lumber, and such. Anyone have recommendations for something that (a)
won't break the bank, but (b) will reliably haul 4x8 ply?

I have a "Folding Trailer Kit" I picked up a local department store for
around $200. You just need to bolt everything together, add your own
plywood floor, and wire in the lights. You can then add simple 2x4 stakes
on the sides, or build sides and/or top as extravagant as you wish. I
didn't need the folding feature, so I just bolted mine up solid.

Harbor Fright has those, $299 right now. If you've got a 20 percent off
coupon it's 240.

I've been pulling mine with a 1976 VW Rabbit for over 20 years with no
problems. I've hauled plywood, sheetrock, lumber, misc building supplies,
woodstove and appliances, loads of garbage to the dump, barkdust for the
yard, and more. I can tow about 1000 pounds with ease, while still having
the space for my family and groceries in the car, and get 25mpg while doing
it. Only costs about $20/yr to license (WA State), and is covered by my
regular car insurance at no additional cost.

One of the best purchases I've ever made.

I think "Northern Hydraulics" carries similar trailers if you can't find
them locally.

Anthony