Posted to rec.woodworking
Ed Sievers

Default Folding Utility Trailer Hauling Cross Country

I was looking in the archives via Google to try to find out
if anyone (in any newsgroup) had experience towing one of
those rinky dink folding utility trailers cross
country....but alas, there was no info. I bit the bullet
and towed mine with an 800 lb payload (approx) some 950
miles to Dallas and I just wanted to get something into the
archives so the next person will have at least one data
point.

My trailer is the little red bolt-together variety from
Harbor Frt and I have had it about 4 yrs now. I use it to
haul mulch and other lt wt stuff close to home and when I am
done, I take off the sideboards, fold it up and store it in
the garage. I am moving to a town North of Dallas, and I
decided to attempt taking some of my "garage stuff" + my
contractor's table saw; a drill press; and my 18 gal air
compressor down on my own. I added additional side boards
(1X12) to the 16-inch sides I originally built and I screwed
on a 4X8 sheet of 1/2 " CDX plywood (with a pair of 1X2
"stiffener" runners) on top. I am guessing that the total
wt counting the 3/4 inch plywood floor, sides, and the
payload was about 1000 pounds......so I wasn't overloaded,
but not lightly loaded either. The sides and screwed-on top
acutally seemed to stiffen up the frame of the rig (which
ordinarilly twists tortionally enough to make one cringe).
I aired the tires up to 60 psi cold (recommended for max
loads) the night before the trip.

The rig performed flawlessly...even better than any U-Haul
I have ever rented. I pulled it 65MPH over (mostly) good
interstate roads with a 2005 Buick Terazza "Soccer Mom Van".
On the return trip I towed it 75MPH empty and though it hops
around a little because of the simplistic suspension, there
was no "fishtailing" whatever. (I should mention, that my
trailer has the larger [12"] wheels.) I got about 2 MPG
less than normal for my minivan.

I intend to make another (one way) trip to our new home in
about 3 weeks, and I will be a little more alert than when
running without the "hitchhiker" behind but with a lot less
apprehension than on the first couple of hundred miles of
its maiden cross-country trip.

I know there is another company (maybe a lot more than that)
who sells this type of rig ....... I believe it is called
RedTrailer or something like that. I like the design of the
tongue on theirs better, but I sure can't knock the one I
have.

Not looking for replys.......I really just wanted to get my
$.02 worth of data archived for the next guy.....but I will
answer any serious questions anyone may have to the best of
my ability. I suppose there may be a horror story or two
out there on this subject, but my experience with this "$220
Wonder" is nothing but good.

Ed Sievers
Scottsbluff, Nebraska

Posted to rec.woodworking
Tom G

"Ed Sievers" wrote in message
[...]

Didn't realize anyone was looking for experiences with one of those
trailers. So here's mine. I had one exactly like yours which I used to
move from one place to the next. Then I trailed it from Arizona to Illinois
and back twice. Only had two minor problems. Because it jumps around a
little (you mentioned the suspension), I had the fender brackets break once
from the vibration. Also lost a license plate because the same vibration
caused the metal bracket holding it to fatigue and break away. Fixed both
problems by making new brackets out of thicker stock. Eventually sold the
trailer for more than I paid for it and bought a much bigger trailer. I
also bought the much smaller version (40" x 48") to haul luggage, etc. on
trips and that made a couple of trips from AZ to IL and back. Biggest
surprise with that one was the shock I got when I went to title and license
it. AZ had changed the rules and it cost me about $50 more to title and
license it than I paid for it. A good friend bought one of the little ones
from HF with the galvanized box to haul luggage, etc to Florida and back
from Wisconsin and loved it. He kind of goes overboard with lights,
however. Put running lights on the sides, those tall lighted whips to aid
backing it up and a fake red flashing light to give the impression it has an
onboard security system. Must have something to do with his pre-retirement
trucking days.
Enjoy,
Tom G
Now permanently back in Illinois.

Posted to rec.woodworking
rich

I have the 40x48" non folding garden trailer, small 8" wheels.
available from the Borg for about $250. To haul a ton of stuff from
Chicago to western Montana, I just flopped a 4x8 1/2 inch plywood on
it, trimmed to fit the fenders, roped a 2x4 brace in the front, and
loaded it till the top of the load was eyeball high. I mounted hooks
around the frame for tiedown straps.

I started the load with a queen size bed, then boxes, then a dining
room table, some chairs, and filled in any holes with whatever fit. It
was all pulled with an 88 Mustang, 4cyl. Mostly 60mph, except some of
those passes over the Rockies. Saw 45mph a few times.

Conclusions: Grease the bearings, and the hitch. The lights are a
little hard to see under the load. I ran the small tires at 60psi, and
they stayed only warm when checked on the road. The ride when loaded
is very smooth. Empty, it bounces a little, but not bad. Plastic
tarps aren't good for 2000 miles. Maybe about 1500 miles. Motorcycle
straps work pretty good.

Hope this helps the next guy.

Tom G wrote:
"Ed Sievers" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

I am posting this not in response to this specific thread but rather
for those who may be searching in the future for info/opinions on these
"foldable utility trailers." My experience is that however well it may
perform on the road, I'd avoid it and spend a little more money on a
pre-assembled steel mesh trailer, flatbed, etc. from Home Depot or
Lowes.

I bought the 4x8 "heavy duty" foldable model from Harbor Freight. I'd
read estimates of an assembly time ranging from 3-4 hours to 10+ hours.
I'm no Bob Vila but I know my around the shop and toolbox and I spent
3 evenings of 2-3 hours each putting it together. The instructions are
awful, with tiny pictures, poor descriptions and many instructions not
logically arranged (ie pieces having to be loosened or taken off to
make subsequent pieces "fit").

Just when you think you've got it licked, you get to install your own
decking. So add on another $30 for decent decking and hardware. Then
try to drill holes to match the holes in the frame of the trailer. 'By
far the most frustrating experience I've had in some time.

And when you're finished, you've got a trailer with no side rails or
rear gate for driving up a mower, etc.

The $300 or so I saved on this cheaper route ended up seeming pretty
silly by the end of the experience. The quality of this kit appears to
be fine, but if I had it to do again I'd spend the extra money in a
heartbeat and avoid my time and frustration.

rich wrote:
I have the 40x48" non folding garden trailer, small 8" wheels.
available from the Borg for about $250. To haul a ton of stuff from

[snip]

Posted to rec.woodworking

Tom,
I've got a '4x8 folder' and also one of the smaller '40x48' ones. Both times
I got them 'just because' . . . and I had a feeling I would need/use them
'some day'.

The 'folder' has the 8in wheels and I got it, several years ago, on a
close-out at the local Home Depot. I think it was about $200. The 'smaller'
one is the 'heavy duty' model, I intended to 'swap axles & wheels' with the
8 footer . . . but the WIDTH is the 40in. DAMN!! However, at a SPECIAL
price - at a locally opened Harbor Freight store - of $159 it was cheaper
then buying just the axel to build a 'small boat delivery' trailer. All I
have to do is extend the tongue with a laminated beam, or scrounge up a
proper sized steel channel.

I haven't made and 'cross country' trips, but the FIRST TIME {It has sat,
folded up for three years}I used it was to transport a 17foot {LOA} dory
from Havre de Grace, MD to here in the Philly suburbs. Neat bit of
'arranging' for a 8 foot bed !! Down I-95 with no load, and up again with a
slight load . . . no problems and tracked like a dream.

Next time they go on 'special' I might just buy one of the 'standard duty'
ones at $129. {I'll have to put the boxes in the upper storage area of the
shop . . . so Joanne won't find out that I've gotten a 5th trailer !!

Regards,
Ron Magen
Backyard Boatshop

"Tom G" wrote in message

"Ed Sievers" wrote in message
I was looking in the archives via Google to try to find out if anyone (in
any newsgroup) had experience towing one of those rinky dink folding
utility trailers cross country....but alas, there was no info. I bit the
bullet and towed mine with an 800 lb payload (approx) some 950 miles to
Dallas and I just wanted to get something into the archives so the next
person will have at least one data point.
SNIP

I also bought the much smaller version (40" x 48") to haul luggage, etc.
on
trips and that made a couple of trips from AZ to IL and back.

SNIP

Posted to rec.woodworking

Fred,

I agree with you about the instructions, etc. I think ALL of these -
purchased from Home Depot, Harbor Freight, Northern, etc - come from the
SAME factory in China.

What I don't agree with is the difficulty you had with assembly. The larger
one took me a leisurely afternoon - the hardest part was manipulating the
completed frame to get the tires secured. That was only because of the
weight - I was working alone. I had to 're-drill' one off-center hole, but
that was the only problem. {I didn't build the wood 'fence sides' until I
needed to transport a half-ton of topsoil - 'lined' with a plastic tarp,
dumped the front-end loader scoop, and off I went}. When I assembled the
'shorty', it only took about an hour or two.

Here's how it worked out . . .

Years ago I got one of the 'standard duty' {8in tires} from a local Home
Depot. 'Closed out' at the end of the summer for about $200. I didn't even
assemble it until the following Spring - and then didn't even use it for
about 3 years. Last year I bought one of the small, 'heavy duty' {12in
tires}ones from the local Harbor Freight store. At only $159 I just couldn't
pass it up !! I intended to 'swap' axles & wheels with the 8-footer . . .
but the 40in dimension was the WIDTH - BUMMER!! However, the total price was
LESS then the cost of an axel alone - to build a 'small boat delivery'
trailer. All I have to do {That's right - I haven't even used it yet !!} is
fabricate a tongue extension from laminated wood, or scrounge the proper
size steel channel.

oups.com...