Posted to rec.woodworking
Ed Sievers

Default Folding Utility Trailer Hauling Cross Country

I was looking in the archives via Google to try to find out
if anyone (in any newsgroup) had experience towing one of
those rinky dink folding utility trailers cross
country....but alas, there was no info. I bit the bullet
and towed mine with an 800 lb payload (approx) some 950
miles to Dallas and I just wanted to get something into the
archives so the next person will have at least one data
point.

My trailer is the little red bolt-together variety from
Harbor Frt and I have had it about 4 yrs now. I use it to
haul mulch and other lt wt stuff close to home and when I am
done, I take off the sideboards, fold it up and store it in
the garage. I am moving to a town North of Dallas, and I
decided to attempt taking some of my "garage stuff" + my
contractor's table saw; a drill press; and my 18 gal air
compressor down on my own. I added additional side boards
(1X12) to the 16-inch sides I originally built and I screwed
on a 4X8 sheet of 1/2 " CDX plywood (with a pair of 1X2
"stiffener" runners) on top. I am guessing that the total
wt counting the 3/4 inch plywood floor, sides, and the
payload was about 1000 pounds......so I wasn't overloaded,
but not lightly loaded either. The sides and screwed-on top
acutally seemed to stiffen up the frame of the rig (which
ordinarilly twists tortionally enough to make one cringe).
I aired the tires up to 60 psi cold (recommended for max
loads) the night before the trip.

The rig performed flawlessly...even better than any U-Haul
I have ever rented. I pulled it 65MPH over (mostly) good
interstate roads with a 2005 Buick Terazza "Soccer Mom Van".
On the return trip I towed it 75MPH empty and though it hops
around a little because of the simplistic suspension, there
was no "fishtailing" whatever. (I should mention, that my
trailer has the larger [12"] wheels.) I got about 2 MPG
less than normal for my minivan.

I intend to make another (one way) trip to our new home in
about 3 weeks, and I will be a little more alert than when
running without the "hitchhiker" behind but with a lot less
apprehension than on the first couple of hundred miles of
its maiden cross-country trip.

I know there is another company (maybe a lot more than that)
who sells this type of rig ....... I believe it is called
RedTrailer or something like that. I like the design of the
tongue on theirs better, but I sure can't knock the one I
have.

Not looking for replys.......I really just wanted to get my
$.02 worth of data archived for the next guy.....but I will
answer any serious questions anyone may have to the best of
my ability. I suppose there may be a horror story or two
out there on this subject, but my experience with this "$220
Wonder" is nothing but good.

Ed Sievers
Scottsbluff, Nebraska