Posted to rec.woodworking
Ron Magen Ron Magen is offline

Default Folding Utility Trailer Hauling Cross Country

Tom,
I've got a '4x8 folder' and also one of the smaller '40x48' ones. Both times
I got them 'just because' . . . and I had a feeling I would need/use them
'some day'.

The 'folder' has the 8in wheels and I got it, several years ago, on a
close-out at the local Home Depot. I think it was about $200. The 'smaller'
one is the 'heavy duty' model, I intended to 'swap axles & wheels' with the
8 footer . . . but the WIDTH is the 40in. DAMN!! However, at a SPECIAL
price - at a locally opened Harbor Freight store - of $159 it was cheaper
then buying just the axel to build a 'small boat delivery' trailer. All I
have to do is extend the tongue with a laminated beam, or scrounge up a
proper sized steel channel.

I haven't made and 'cross country' trips, but the FIRST TIME {It has sat,
folded up for three years}I used it was to transport a 17foot {LOA} dory
from Havre de Grace, MD to here in the Philly suburbs. Neat bit of
'arranging' for a 8 foot bed !! Down I-95 with no load, and up again with a
slight load . . . no problems and tracked like a dream.

Next time they go on 'special' I might just buy one of the 'standard duty'
ones at $129. {I'll have to put the boxes in the upper storage area of the
shop . . . so Joanne won't find out that I've gotten a 5th trailer !!

Regards,
Ron Magen
Backyard Boatshop

"Tom G" wrote in message

"Ed Sievers" wrote in message
I was looking in the archives via Google to try to find out if anyone (in
any newsgroup) had experience towing one of those rinky dink folding
utility trailers cross country....but alas, there was no info. I bit the
bullet and towed mine with an 800 lb payload (approx) some 950 miles to
Dallas and I just wanted to get something into the archives so the next
person will have at least one data point.
SNIP

I also bought the much smaller version (40" x 48") to haul luggage, etc.
on
trips and that made a couple of trips from AZ to IL and back.

SNIP