Posted to alt.home.repair
dadiOH[_3_] dadiOH[_3_] is offline

Default Hauling With A Chain

Pavel314 wrote:
I want to use a chain to haul a fallen tree out of the marshy area up
to solid ground where I can saw it up. I have a long chain but it
doesn't have chain hooks on the ends. Will it hold if I wrap it
around the trunk a few times then do a double knot with it? It seems
like the links of the chain should grab onto each other as the
pulling starts and keep it from slipping.

If you just wrap it, it will unwrap. It will hold if you make a clove
hitch.

Also if you use a shackle; or a nut and bolt; or even with a piece of rebar
stuck through links and secured so it doesn't slide out.

--

dadiOH