Posted to alt.home.repair
Pavel314[_2_] Pavel314[_2_] is offline

Default Hauling With A Chain

On Monday, April 1, 2013 8:40:01 PM UTC-4, Hench wrote:
On 4/1/2013 4:22 PM, Pavel314 wrote:

I want to use a chain to haul a fallen tree out of the marshy area up to solid ground where I can saw it up. I have a long chain but it doesn't have chain hooks on the ends. Will it hold if I wrap it around the trunk a few times then do a double knot with it? It seems like the links of the chain should grab onto each other as the pulling starts and keep it from slipping.

I've done it a couple of times when I had a firewood business. If

tightly wrapped around the tree, the chain will bite into the bark and

hopefully you have some wider trunk area before the chain wrap so the

chain can't slip off. The only downside is if the branches are hung up

on other trees etc.

However take the advice of many people in this thread: Find a way to

get a temporary hook on that chain. In the long run, it's safer and easier.

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions. I'd forgotten about the possibility of the chain getting permanently stuck from knotting. Years ago I found an old chain in the barn which had a big tangled knot on the end. I guess someone else didn't have a hook handy many years ago. I managed to get it unstuck with a hammer and channel locks. Not that I needed the chain for anything at the time, it was just a big metal puzzle.

I picked up two chain hooks with clevis pins at Home Depot this evening for about $5 each. They're rated at about two tons so they should do the job.

Paul