Posted to alt.home.repair
Erik[_5_] Erik[_5_] is offline

Default Hauling With A Chain

In article ,
Pavel314 wrote:

I want to use a chain to haul a fallen tree out of the marshy area up to
solid ground where I can saw it up. I have a long chain but it doesn't have
chain hooks on the ends. Will it hold if I wrap it around the trunk a few
times then do a double knot with it? It seems like the links of the chain
should grab onto each other as the pulling starts and keep it from slipping.

I think if I were to do this with the chain alone, I'd use a Timber
hitch, or the closely relater Killick hitch. Note that I've never tried
either in chain.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timber_hitch

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Killick_hitch

As others have said, probably your best bet is a the biggest diameter
bolt that'll go through your chain links.

Be careful... good luck!

Erik