Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Hauling With A Chain

On Mon, 01 Apr 2013 20:04:09 -0700, Oren wrote:

On Mon, 1 Apr 2013 19:11:17 -0700 (PDT), Pavel314
wrote:

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions. I'd forgotten about the possibility of the chain getting permanently stuck from knotting. Years ago I found an old chain in the barn which had a big tangled knot on the end. I guess someone else didn't have a hook handy many years ago. I managed to get it unstuck with a hammer and channel locks. Not that I needed the chain for anything at the time, it was just a big metal puzzle.

Why I mentioned a hammer on the knot in the chain. Done a number of
times pulling trucks out of the swamp. Pound it a few times. It will
give some slack to take the knot out.

Hooks are good, unless you have no place to hook them without damage.

Knots in the chain work :-\

BTDT

Wrapping the chain and hooking the chain to itself is still better
than the knot - and you don't need anywhere to "place the hook"
without damage. If you can do it with a knot, you CAN do it with a
proper hook. Different hook to grab a link than to "cinch" with a
chain.