Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

Default Dying for a Chevy Volt, but....

On Feb 26, 11:50*pm, harry wrote:
On Feb 27, 12:01*am, Gunner wrote:

On Tue, 26 Feb 2013 16:58:58 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"

wrote:

harry wrote:

America is the home of junk food. (I assume this is what you mean?)

* Junk food? *Blood pudding sounds like junk food to me. *Something any
civilized people consider waste. *Then there are the biblical warnings
not to use the blood as food. *Most of the crap meals I've seen from the
British aren't fit to feed to a hog, are are perfect for you ignorant
limeys.

They have a national holiday food known as Spotted Dick ...too.

Americans claiming our food is weird. That's rich.
This the nation that invented junk food.
The nation of fat gits.
The nation addicted to salt and sugar.
The nation with the most polluted, chemical filled food in the world.
The nation that stuffs it cows full of hormones.http://www.thedailymeal.com/andrew-z...-bizarre-ameri...

Yuck!!!!!!!

English food sucked till Marco Pierre White can along.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

wrote:

harry wrote:

America is the home of junk food. (I assume this is what you mean?)

* Junk food? *Blood pudding sounds like junk food to me. *Something any
civilized people consider waste. *Then there are the biblical warnings
not to use the blood as food. *Most of the crap meals I've seen from the
British aren't fit to feed to a hog, are are perfect for you ignorant
limeys.

They have a national holiday food known as Spotted Dick ...too.

Americans claiming our food is weird. That's rich.
This the nation that invented junk food.
The nation of fat gits.
The nation addicted to salt and sugar.
The nation with the most polluted, chemical filled food in the world.
The nation that stuffs it cows full of hormones.http://www.thedailymeal.com/andrew-z...-bizarre-ameri...

Yuck!!!!!!!

English food sucked till Marco Pierre White came along.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

harry wrote:

On Feb 27, 12:00 am, Gunner wrote:
On Tue, 26 Feb 2013 16:54:18 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"

wrote:

The US started a war with Japan. You cut off their oil resources.

Sure we did. After they bombed Pearl Harbor.

We did cut off their steel imports...after they brutalized China and
performed the Rape of Nanking.

They wanted the US out of the Pacific..they wanted total control of
the Pacific. We disagreed.

The rest is history.

Despite what the Leftwingers want to believe.

Gunner

Since when has the USA worried about what happened in China? The US
was just looking for trouble.
I wonder what would happen if the Iranians cut off US oil in the
straights of Hormus?

America would ship more, higher priced oil. Too bad that England has
lille more thena mostly spent cola mines that were closed in the name ow
'Glow-ball warming' by Thatcher.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

harry wrote:

The USA invaded Canada burning and looting. Why do you suppose
Canadians don't like you?

Then why do millions of them spend their winters in the southern US
states?

In the 1930's there was a US plan to invade Canada again.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_Plan_Red

Sigh, you really are a fool. There were thousands of 'War Plans'
that were contingencies. In other words, what would we do if we had
to... Unlike England's bloody history of enslaving people and putting
fools in place a 'Governors'.

Germany and Japan both declared war on you.

And both had their heads handed to them.

You had to come running to get our help (and the Russians)

Right. We needed someone to use up all of our surplus ammo, and
crash thosands of US built planes. They also used lots of 55 gallon
drums worth of US made antibiotics and canned foods that we would have
had to sold as surplus after the war.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

harry wrote:

On Feb 26, 9:55 pm, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:
Gunner wrote:

On Tue, 26 Feb 2013 12:23:46 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

harry wrote:

On Feb 26, 12:15 am, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:
Attila Iskander wrote:

But that comment again demonstrates how provincial harry's mindset is.
Obviously what works around him has to work just as well ALL OVER the world
It's a holdover from the times when Euros imagined they controlled and were
superior to the rest of the world

Their egos have always outreached their grasp.

True more of the USA than Europe.

The US has never started a world war, but you have two under your
belts. Does: "The sun will never set on the British Empire!" ring any
bells in your tiny belfry? How about your slave trade, where you limeys
brought slaves to your southern plantations, then left us to deal with
the problems when we kicked your syphilis infected carcasses out in that
little spat where a handful of farm boys kicked the **** out of "The
best army in the world"?

^5!! Very very well stated!! Bravo!!

He won't get it. He only knows the crap they printed in the British
tabloids they wrapped his fish & Chips in.

Hah. Another American ****ferbrains.
Did you ever go to school?

Why, didn't you? I was a broadcast engineer and later built
communications equipment for NASA. Tell me about England's space
program.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_imperialism
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_of_1812

I've already talked about the war of 1812, fool. Isn't it about time
for the nurse to change your diaper? You're stinking up all of Usenet.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

harry wrote:

The nation with the most polluted, chemical filled food in the world.

Name ONE food that isn't 'filled with chemicals'.

The nation that stuffs it cows full of hormones.

England's NHS stuff their men full of female hormones and gives free
sex changes.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

harry wrote:

On Feb 26, 9:58 pm, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:
harry wrote:

America is the home of junk food. (I assume this is what you mean?)

Junk food? Blood pudding sounds like junk food to me. Something any
civilized people consider waste. Then there are the biblical warnings
not to use the blood as food. Most of the crap meals I've seen from the
British aren't fit to feed to a hog, are are perfect for you ignorant
limeys.

Tsch. It is incorporated into American beefburgers/hot dogs you bloody
half wit..

Really? You've seen them process beef and add the blood back after
the carcass was drained. I suppose you did it in your invisible UFO
with the special Earl Schibe paint job.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

The Daring Dufas wrote:

The Daring Dufas wrote:

The Daring Dufas wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Tiny little liberals?

Naaa, they're a bunch of apolitical nonfunctional females much like
bees. ^_^

You just keep droning on! ;-)

What can I say, I have a BUZZ from all the pain meds I must take. I was
doing a bit of climbing yesterday to install and certify a CAT6 cable in
a Kmart yesterday.

Why bother? They are closing a lot of stores.

At least I wasn't having any chest pains.

You finally found a comfortable bra for your man boobs? ;-)

My man boobs went away when I lost a hundred pounds and I don't mean
U.K. currency. Sears merged with Kmart and me and JH do a lot of work
in both stores. We also wind up doing a lot of work in Sam's Club and
Walmart stores. We still need a young sober guy about 50 years old to
help us with the climbing around we're always having to do. O_o

Good for you.

They have closed several K-mart stores around here, and are talking
about closing most of the rest. I haven't been in Sears to buy anything
other than a pulley for a table saw in over 10 years. Then, I had to go
find their warehouse to get the part.

I was 20 when I was in Alabama, 40 years ago. I spent a couple
decades at Ft.Rucker, but they tell me it was really nine months. It
rained every weekend, starting Friday afternoon and it ended just before
falling out for 'Monday Morning Formation'. It was so bad at Rucker that
the transfer to Alaska was an improvement.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

harry wrote:

The exact reason that 11-9 event happened.
Only they didn't care about getting killed.

Just like all the people killed by car & bus bombs in England.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

harry wrote:

On Feb 26, 10:06 pm, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:
Frank wrote:

Bragging about his wealth trying to hit on a gal that posted in ng.
Found his place on Google maps and it looks like big bucks

If he really lives there, and isn't the butler or gardener.

Point of my post is that you give the government money to hand out and
smart people will know how to get it. People go where the money is and
then the Libs bitch about big business getting it. Follow the money,
how stupid can they get?

Too stupid to live, but no one has told them yet.

Hybrid/electric cars should succeed on their merits not subsidies.

If, at all. The technology just isn't there yet and likely never
will be unless they can make batteries that are tiny, indestructible and
weightless while allowing you to drive across the US without being
charged.

Ah. You mean a horse?

A horse is the least energy efficient way to cross the US. They need
food & fresh water several times a day. They can eat more than they can
haul. Thousands of pioneers died doing that when they migrated across
the US to settle the west coast. You really should go to school for
once in your sorry life.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

Doug wrote:

Agreed. I've read they will have filling stations for electric cars
too and I think they already have some as a prototype but I don't
recall where.

At the current rate, it will take hundreds of years to convert to
electric vehicles.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

"Gunner" wrote in message
harry wrote:

America is the home of junk food. (I assume this is what you
mean?)

Junk food? Blood pudding sounds like junk food to me. Something
any
civilized people consider waste. Then there are the biblical
warnings
not to use the blood as food. Most of the crap meals I've seen from
the
British aren't fit to feed to a hog, are are perfect for you
ignorant
limeys.

We have ethnic food from all over the world, including nations
notorious for starving, but have you ever seen an "English"
restaurant?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

wrote in message
news
One school system just annnounced a fee for students who want to
play
sports. IADT they paid their own way.

Sounds like a good idea to me. If they don't like that, they can
raise the money by working or baking cookies.

The people who scream discrimination against the poor conveniently
forget that team sports already discriminate against the kids who most
need the exercise.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Jim Wilkins" wrote:

We have ethnic food from all over the world, including nations
notorious for starving, but have you ever seen an "English"
restaurant?

We have a bunch of pubs in the area.. does that count?
the *******s."-- Claire Wolfe

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

The Daring Dufas wrote:

The Daring Dufas wrote:

The Daring Dufas wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

[...]

Back then the steel mills and paper mills were pouring all sorts of
stuff into the air during the week then when they stopped smoking on
the weekends, it would rain. The Air Force turned me down when I was
in college during the Vietnam era so it was my brother who was at Ft.
Rucker from time to time. Most folks don't know that "Mother Rucker"
is where helicopter pilots are spawned. Humm, all the rain may have
been because of the fort's nearness to The Gulf of Mexico? ^_^

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 27, 2:52*am, harry wrote:
On Feb 27, 12:09*am, wrote:

On Mon, 25 Feb 2013 20:45:43 -0500, wrote:
On Mon, 25 Feb 2013 16:04:03 -0600, Vic Smith
wrote:

On Mon, 25 Feb 2013 13:24:06 -0500, wrote:

The price of a Volt puts it totally out of the running. Car and Driver
ran the numbers and said the Cruze was a better deal.

Better deal? *Does that mean everybody should buy the one car that Car
and Driver says is a "better deal?"
+20,000 Volts were sold last year. *According to Forbes, the Volt "is
outselling about half of all cars marketed in the U.S."
http://www.forbes.com/sites/jimgorze...ust-chevrolet-....
So your "totally out of the running" is a personal opinion.

I agree the
government bribe may shade that a little but the real cost is just
being foisted off on the people who don't buy a Volt. If everyone
bought one, the rebate simply moves from your car payment to your tax
bill.

The all-electric Nissan Leaf gets more preference with government
incentives than the Volt.
And you probably meant to say "federal and state government bribes."
Many states are kicking in.
http://www.pluginamerica.org/incentives
I noticed a guy in the Volt forum said he got a $6k tax credit from
Colorado to add to the $7.5k from the fed.

So the poor are subsidizing the rich. That sounds right, at least the
way it works here. They also subsidize the people who can afford
$50,000 solar PV arrays.
I am surprised the big business republicans are not really pushing
this. *but maybe they are.

No, it's the big business Democrats who are really pushing this. *Wake
up.

Robin Hood stole from the rich and gave to the poor.
In America the rich have always stolen from the poor.
They import poor people for this purpose.- Hide quoted text -

Dumb as ever. If by "importing poor people", you mean
Mexicans, they obviously come here because there is
far more opportunity to earn money here than there is
in Mexico. They come because it makes their life better
for them and their families back in Mexico that they send
money they earn to. They come because it's a step UP
on the economic ladder for them. That is how free markets
work.

Then, just like the clueless libs, you assume everything
is static. That whoever had a low income in 1980, 1990,
2000 still has a low income today. That of course isn't
true. People start out at a low paying job and then work
their way up to a better job. Or start a business. That is how
it works, at least for those that want to get off their ass. I just
had two painters over here to give me quotes on painting
a great room and a foyer, $3,600 - $4,000. Are you gonna
tell us that skill set is beyond the reach of the common
person? I could do that job myself in a week. Do the math
at what income that works out to.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

wrote:

The US started a war with Japan. You cut off their oil resources.

* Sure we did. *After they bombed Pearl Harbor.

We did cut off their steel imports...after they brutalized China and
performed the Rape of Nanking.

They wanted the US out of the Pacific..they wanted total control of
the Pacific. *We disagreed.

The rest is history.

Despite what the Leftwingers want to believe.

Gunner

Since when has the USA worried about what happened in China? The US
was just looking for trouble.
I wonder what would happen if the Iranians cut off US oil in the
straights of Hormus?- Hide quoted text -

Clueless as ever. The US didn't blockade Japan's shipping routes
for oil. We just stopped selling them oil. Blocking an international
shipping
channel is an act of war.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

Kurt Ullman wrote:

In article ,
"Jim Wilkins" wrote:

We have ethnic food from all over the world, including nations
notorious for starving, but have you ever seen an "English"
restaurant?

We have a bunch of pubs in the area.. does that count?

If you have to ask? No.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

wrote:

harry wrote:

America is the home of junk food. (I assume this is what you mean?)

* Junk food? *Blood pudding sounds like junk food to me. *Something any
civilized people consider waste. *Then there are the biblical warnings
not to use the blood as food. *Most of the crap meals I've seen from the
British aren't fit to feed to a hog, are are perfect for you ignorant
limeys.

They have a national holiday food known as Spotted Dick ...too.

Americans claiming our food is weird. That's rich.
This the nation that invented junk food.
The nation of fat gits.
The nation addicted to salt and sugar.
The nation with the most polluted, chemical filled food in the world.
The nation that stuffs it cows full of hormones.http://www.thedailymeal..com/andrew-...-bizarre-ameri...

Yuck!!!!!!!

English food sucked till Marco Pierre White came along.- Hide quoted text -

We may have chemicals in our food, but at least we didn't
have people dying horrible, slow, deaths all over the place
from Mad Cow disease.....

And the Britts must really be dumb. Just across the way in
France the food is soooo delicious. Yet in the UK, for the most
part, it's sub-standard. You'd think they would have learned a
thing or two from the French by now.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

The Daring Dufas wrote:

The Daring Dufas wrote:

The Daring Dufas wrote:

The Daring Dufas wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

[...]

I worked Weathervision at the main airfield, and did some RADAR work
there as well. They trained Medivac pilots, and Air Force ATC to work
with Medivac pilots at Cairn Airfield. It was 90 miles to the gulf.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

On Feb 27, 1:35*am, Doug wrote:
On Mon, 25 Feb 2013 03:41:30 -0500, "Existential Angst"

wrote:
wrote in message
.. .
On Sun, 24 Feb 2013 18:48:17 -0800 (PST), bob haller
wrote:

His point was the autos rely on oil for a fuel source
and are responsible for using a whole lot of it.
Very little electricity is generated from oil, at least here
in the USA. It's only a few percent. Coal is the largest
source, followed by nat gas. And there is a lot more of
that available, enough for hundreds of years.

That's true, as far as it goes, but the infrastructure isn't there to
allow a significant number of cars to switch. ...and there are no
plans to put it there because the same people who are insisting on
electric vehicles are standing in the way of more generation.

During the day the power grid is used a lot, but after work, evenings
nights and weekends the power grid as lots of extra capacity

People could charge their vehicles at nght, at off peak rates.

...and come home from work in the morning. *Nice idea, dolt.

I got it, I got it.... *this krw asshole is Plimpton, THE legendary
venerealated asshole of multiple ngs.....
Howzit goin, Plimpie?? *Why'd you give up yer moniker?

And, and once again, you are fulla****, and haller is right.
The night-time grid could easily accommodate the initial transition to
electric.... *mebbe not the WHOLE transition, suddenly, but certainly the
transition at its current rate, and rate-to-come for a while.

WTF would you think otherwise??

Agreed. * I've read they will have filling stations for electric cars
too and I think they already have some as a prototype but I don't
recall where. * *- Hide quoted text -

Except of course that with a regular vehicle, you're refilled
in 10 mins and on your way. With an electric car, when you're
near empty, you're done for a long, long time. The filling station
is called a car park.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

wrote:

Doug wrote:

Agreed. I've read they will have filling stations for electric cars
too and I think they already have some as a prototype but I don't
recall where.

At the current rate, it will take hundreds of years to convert to
electric vehicles.

Why?

Think about it. The technology isn't there. The power generation
isn't there. It can take 25 years to get the permits to build & put one
power plant on line. Viable electric vehicles have been "Just around
the corner" for 100 years. Picture this: Every car in town is
electric. A massive power failure and after a few days most of them are
sitting on the road where the batteries died. How long before people
start stealing the expensive batteries to replace their failed batteries
instead of paying the dealer full retail?

Study electronics for yourself, and do some heavy math. You'll see
for yourself. There is very little excess capacity in the grid, and the
nighttime usage allows them to take some generators or controls down for
minor repairs. Without that, the whole facility is run till it needs a
major overhaul, which can take months or years. The entire grid is
aging, and a lot of equipment is well past its design life. Between the
MBAs, NIMBYs and Greenies, it's a looming crisis.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

wrote:

Doug wrote:

[...]

After a major power failure, half the people in an area buy
gernerators. If we have electric cars, we'll just have to buy little
trailers to carry the generators...

Seriously, electric cars are likely to have only slow and incremental
growth. The most likely scenario I've seen involves several
configurations and energy sources: all-electrics for people who have
another car; plug-in hybrids (with or without trailers g);
liquid-fuel cars (gasoline; diesel; gasohol) and CNG cars. Hydrogen
fuel cells seem, to me, to be least likely, or to require some
breakthrough that we don't know about yet. The wire-in-road electrics
sound like "a helicopter in every garage."

It will be interesting to see how all of these types jocky for market
share. Lithium-based batteries sound like they're going to be a
limiting factor for electrics, but there is always another battery
technology in a lab somewhere. Don't bet the farm or count them out.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 27, 9:24*am, wrote:
On Tue, 26 Feb 2013 23:40:01 -0800 (PST), harry

wrote:
I wonder what would happen if the Iranians cut off US oil in the
straights of Hormus?

The US does not really buy much oil from the middle east and "the
Americas" as a whole are pretty much energy independent. Most US oil
is domestic or comes from Canada and Mexico.

I guess it depends on your definition of "much". From what I
can find, looks like we are importing about 20% net of our oil from
the mideast. Better than if it was half, but it would still be a
huge problem for the USA if it were cut off.

Obviously oil is a world commodity and shutting down the gulf would
affect everyone but it would be because Europe and Asia would be
competing for western oil.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

The Daring Dufas wrote:

The Daring Dufas wrote:

The Daring Dufas wrote:

The Daring Dufas wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

[...]

Were you able to watch cloud formations come your way from the Gulf? ^_^

TDD
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

wrote:

Doug wrote:

[...]

I'd like to see fuel cells running on natural gas to supplement or
supplant power from the grid for homes. The country has ample supplies
of NG now and the power grid may go down during severe weather but the
NG service rarely fails unless it's a situation like the 100 year storm
that hit The East Coast. The technology for CNG powered cars and fuel
cells exists now and it works but like any technology the infrastructure
is not all there at this time along with the production in numbers that
would bring the price down. ^_^

TDD
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

wrote:

Doug wrote:

[...]

All of the alternatives have limitations. The Honda Civic CNG car that
they sold until a few years ago had little trunk space and a 120 mile
range. If was good for commuters and it was popular in one of the
western states (Idaho? Utah?) where they didn't have a
transportation-fuel tax on natural gas.

For something between $3,000 and $4,000, you could buy a home
refueling station from Honda that would fill your tank(s) overnight.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

On Tue, 26 Feb 2013 23:33:24 -0800 (PST), harry
wrote:

On Feb 26, 10:12*pm, "Existential Angst" wrote:
despite
the fact that there is 1/100 the mechanical complexity in an electric than
in an ICE.

EVs are FAR more complex than an ICE car.
Hybrids even more so, you have two complete power systems inone car.

Yes but EA isn't interested in an actual EV. He thinks there could be
a cheap, full electric, long range, no computer, no airbags,
lightweight, roadworthy car that can also reduce his utility rate and
be so simple that even a proven mental midget could build it. He COULD
try doing some basic research, perhaps starting by reading the manual
for an electric wheelchair controller. But it's easier to keep making
unsupportable claims. It's akin to a child thinking he can climb a
ladder to touch the sun. When the ladder doesn't reach he gets a
taller ladder.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

wrote:

Doug wrote:

[...]

Alabama Gas has been running their service trucks on CNG for decades and
the information on the new Honda lists it's range as 200+ miles
and it can be refueled in minutes at a CNG filling station as opposed to
hours for a battery charge for an electric vehicle. Like any technology,
CNG for passenger cars needs more development to make it ready for prime
time. I do think CNG is closer to practical reality than electric power
for passenger cars. ^_^

TDD
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

wrote:

Doug wrote:

[...]

Aha! So they're back in the market, eh? Is it available in the US?

If you have CNG fueling stations around, though, you're lucky. If
there are any here, I don't know about them. There's one in Newark
(don't go there on purpose, please...) and another on Staten Island.
(only about 10 miles, but the toll is $12 cash, one-way. No thanks.)

CNG has a way to go for most areas. Gas in NJ is relatively cheap,
anyway.

Like any technology,
CNG for passenger cars needs more development to make it ready for prime
time. I do think CNG is closer to practical reality than electric power
for passenger cars. ^_^

I agree. We'll be in fracking paradise before long....

--
Ed Huntress

TDD

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

On Wed, 27 Feb 2013 10:52:42 -0500, Ed Huntress
wrote:

I agree. We'll be in fracking paradise before long....

Lots of different tech for different apps. More power to them all.

"Before long" reminds me of the cull date though. I went for
something I could drive until the 2000lb, $15k, 300 mile range EV
Beetle hits the market. I hear they're going to include bell
bottoms and paisley lined pointy shoes for early adopters.

Going on a 200 mile round trip today. No range anxiety, but it will
push down my EV percentage a bit.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

On 2013-02-26, dsi1 wrote:
I don't know of anybody in America that thought these cars were very
good. Perhaps it's different in the UK. No matter, the idea changed
everything.

It was a brilliant car from a purely technical standpoint but suffered
mightily from poor excecution, spotty build quality, and nonexistent
rustproofing. (In other words, a pretty typical BMC/British Leyland
product. :-) The Austin America was heavily advertised in the U.S. as
having a fully-automatic 4-speed transmission available, which was unheard
of in a small import at the time. Even full-size Chevys were still using a
2-speed automatic back then. Unfortunately those transmissions, sharing
the engine oil, frequently would not even make it through the warranty
period without grenading, particulary given the typical American driver's
penchant for skipping oil changes..

The hydro-elastic was pretty radical and cool too. It did have that
nasty habit of uncontrolled steering oscillation but that was just part
of the excitement of owning this FWD English car. You couldn't get that
kind of fun from a rear drive MG or Spitfire - those had the
self-jacking rear ends. :-)

The transverse engine idea was actually introduced with the original Mini
in 1959. The Austin America shared the same basic drivetrain but with a
larger displacement engine, which is another reason so few are left --
many were tossed aside after the power unit was plucked to install in
a Mini.

That's right - we had the big Mini.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

wrote:

harry wrote:

[...]

What the English know about good food came from Marco Pierre White who
was French trained.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marco_Pierre_White

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

wrote:

I agree. We'll be in fracking paradise before long....

Lots of different tech for different apps. More power to them all.

"Before long" reminds me of the cull date though. I went for
something I could drive until the 2000lb, $15k, 300 mile range EV
Beetle hits the market. I hear they're going to include bell
bottoms and paisley lined pointy shoes for early adopters.

I've been saving mine, waiting for the fashion cycle to swing my way.

Going on a 200 mile round trip today. No range anxiety, but it will
push down my EV percentage a bit.

Get an EV and find a couple of those 10-hp Stirling generators that
Philips made for Winnebago back in the '70s (quiet, on-board electical
generator). Put them on a trailer and hook up cables to your
batteries. Then you can just pull off the road and shovel in some wood
chips, bird poop, or whatever, and go another 100 miles.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

On 2/27/2013 6:23 AM, dsi1 wrote:

The hydro-elastic was pretty radical and cool too. It did have that
nasty habit of uncontrolled steering oscillation but that was just part
of the excitement of owning this FWD English car. You couldn't get that
kind of fun from a rear drive MG or Spitfire - those had the
self-jacking rear ends. :-)

Sorry, I meant hydro-elastic SUSPENSION. I guess the proper BMC or BLMC
term would be "hydrolastic."

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

wrote:

Doug wrote:

[...]

The Dodge RAM CNG truck has the same kind of issue with lack of usable
bed space because of the CNG fuel tanks.

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2012/10...-2500-cng.html
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

On Wed, 27 Feb 2013 06:45:29 -1000, dsi1
wrote:

On 2/27/2013 6:23 AM, dsi1 wrote:

The hydro-elastic was pretty radical and cool too. It did have that
nasty habit of uncontrolled steering oscillation but that was just part
of the excitement of owning this FWD English car. You couldn't get that
kind of fun from a rear drive MG or Spitfire - those had the
self-jacking rear ends. :-)

Sorry, I meant hydro-elastic SUSPENSION. I guess the proper BMC or BLMC
term would be "hydrolastic."

The "self-jacking rear ends" were early Spitfires, not MGs. MGs were
solid rear axles with semi-elliptics. Early Spitfires had swing axles.

You may be thinking of the first AH Sprites. They had quarter-elliptic
springs and were almost self-steering (into the ditches on the side of
the road) above 70 mph. No jacking, though.

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

The Daring Dufas wrote:

Were you able to watch cloud formations come your way from the Gulf? ^_^

I rarely got to see a RADAR scope, and only when I was carrying a 21"
video monitor into or out of the control room. I worked the other end:
The pulse transmitters, receivers & timing circuits. About all I really
saw were the two channels of weather data for the pilot ready rooms
while working in our shop.

Dying for a Chevy Volt, but.... azotic[_4_] Metalworking 3 February 26th 13 03:36 AM
OT Chevy Volt John B. Metalworking 93 February 29th 12 02:24 PM
Help me figure the cost to charge a Chevy Volt in my town? RickH Home Repair 46 November 15th 10 06:31 PM
Chevrolet | Electric Car - Chevy Volt. Fully Charged 2010 jolly Electronics Repair 0 October 2nd 09 10:57 AM
Run a 9.6 volt Makita drill off 12 volt car battery - voltatage dropping resistor ? [email protected] Electronics Repair 10 January 3rd 05 04:13 AM