Posted to alt.home.repair

Default New requirement for Electric cars. Straw in the spoke.

The Department of Transportation is proposing new regulations that
would require hybrid and electric cars to make more noise when their
engines are running. The rules are designed to make it easier for
nearby pedestrians to hear the traditional quiet automobiles when they
are approaching. Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood said the change
would make it easier for hybrid and electric car drivers to share the
road.

"Safety is our highest priority, and this proposal will help keep
everyone using our nation's streets and roadways safe, whether they
are motorists, bicyclists or pedestrians, and especially the blind and
visually impaired," LaHood said in a statement released by the DOT.
Under the requirement, cars would be required to be heard above
typical street noises when they are traveling at speeds less than 18
miles per hour.

--
Stephanie: What did you do today?
Leonard Hofstadter: Well, I'm a physicist, so I just thought about stuff.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Metspitzer wrote:

[...]

I almost got run over by one backing out of parking space without
looking a couple of days ago. They ARE quiet.
the *******s."-- Claire Wolfe
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 10 Jan 2013 18:18:39 -0500, Kurt Ullman
wrote:

In article ,
Metspitzer wrote:

[...]

Washington state is loosing gas taxes from these green cars, because
they pay lesser taxes by not buying enough fuel at the pump.

Now the creatures want to place a tax per mile on the green cars to
make-up the difference.

Insanity ...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 10 Jan 2013 16:03:42 -0800, Oren wrote:

On Thu, 10 Jan 2013 18:18:39 -0500, Kurt Ullman
wrote:

In article ,
Metspitzer wrote:

[...]

You don't want greenies to pay for their share of the roads? I sure
do! Double! ...unless they're packing heat. ;-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/10/13 5:14 PM, Metspitzer wrote:
[...]

So why are the geniuses proposing a 54 mpg standard for vehicles?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 10 Jan 2013 18:24:21 -0600, Dean Hoffman
" wrote:

[...]

Herding sheep is their highest priority.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/10/2013 6:18 PM, Kurt Ullman wrote:
In article ,
Metspitzer wrote:

[...]

I rode in a new Prius and it was surprising how high the road noise was.

Quiet outside, noisy inside

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 01/10/2013 03:18 PM, Kurt Ullman wrote:

I almost got run over by one backing out of parking space without
looking a couple of days ago. They ARE quiet.

HA! You beat me to this post, and mine happened just two days ago.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

Metspitzer wrote:

[...]

The busy little 4 cyl in a Prius is hardly silent from outside either
- unless you are talking road noise when in electric only mode.

My old electric Fiat was far from silent when accelerating from a dead
stop either. AC motors are a bit quieter, but if the frequency of the
switching is set "right" they can produce significant sound as well.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/10/2013 3:14 PM, Metspitzer wrote:
[...]

Guess they picked that number to keep the noise down in a 20 MPH school
zone.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/10/2013 5:14 PM, Metspitzer wrote:
[...]

I believe the darn things should sound like the flying cars from "The
Jetsons". ^_^

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yjy-fnsmWR4

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 10 Jan 2013 21:19:44 -0600, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

[...]

Get in an accident and they'll fold up like one.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 10, 4:03*pm, Oren wrote:
On Thu, 10 Jan 2013 18:18:39 -0500, Kurt Ullman
wrote:

In article ,
Metspitzer wrote:

[...]

So you think they should be allowed to use public property and not
help pay for it?

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

* Metspitzer wrote:

[...]

Sound deadening adds weight

The advocates of them insist they are fine for long distance driving.
Yep if you want to ride a small crackerbox with limited amenities long
distances.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Don't you just love the sound of the Jetsons car? ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 10 Jan 2013 16:03:42 -0800, Oren wrote:

Washington state is loosing gas taxes from these green cars, because
they pay lesser taxes by not buying enough fuel at the pump.

Now the creatures want to place a tax per mile on the green cars to
make-up the difference.

Insanity ...

Why insanity? They use the roads, wear them out just like the rest of
us. They should pay their fair share to maintain them.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Dean Hoffman " wrote:

[...]

Always has been. Thus, when air bags were first put in cars, they were
sold as an ALTERNATIVE safety measure for those who wouldn't buckle
their seat belts.. Ooops.
the *******s."-- Claire Wolfe
Posted to alt.home.repair

The Daring Dufas wrote:
-snip-

I believe the darn things should sound like the flying cars from "The
Jetsons". ^_^

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yjy-fnsmWR4

I agree-- and the start-up, and reverse sounds should be different,
but one should be that 'meet George Jetson' riff.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/10/2013 6:14 PM, Metspitzer wrote:
[...]

Sort of reminds me of the old Western Electric company from the early
days when they used to make vacuum cleaners. They had an excellent
unit, that had more suction than the competition, but couldn't sell
them. Why? They were too quiet and the users perceived them to not be
as powerful as the noisy competition!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Per Metspitzer:
The rules are designed to make it easier for
nearby pedestrians to hear the traditional quiet automobiles when they
are approaching.

Riding my bike, I've been startled several times by cars passing
me in electric mode. No close calls yet, but the hazard seems
obvious.

I recall an interview with somebody about a deceased deaf person.
The question arose "How did he die?". The answer was "The same
way the vast majority of deaf people die: he was hit by a car.".

Rang true to me at the time, and now it's been re-enforced.
--
Pete Cresswell
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/10/2013 7:03 PM, Oren wrote:
On Thu, 10 Jan 2013 18:18:39 -0500, Kurt Ullman
wrote:

In article ,
Metspitzer wrote:

[...]

What part is insane? The government collects road use taxes on liquid
fuel sales to pay for roads. Since "green" car operators purchase less
or maybe no liquid fuels how do you propose taxes would be fairly collected?
Posted to alt.home.repair

And the cake mix that didn't sell, with just add water. They changed the
directions to add an egg and water, and sales took right off.

I was cleaning carpet for a restaurant, years ago. Using the unscented
detergent. I ran out, and had to use the stinky stuff. The manager came by,
and remarked how that stuff really was working. Not sure it really did any
better.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Art Todesco"
wrote in message ...

Sort of reminds me of the old Western Electric company from the early
days when they used to make vacuum cleaners. They had an excellent
unit, that had more suction than the competition, but couldn't sell
them. Why? They were too quiet and the users perceived them to not be
as powerful as the noisy competition!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Metspitzer wrote:
The Department of Transportation is proposing new regulations that
would require hybrid and electric cars to make more noise when their
engines are running. The rules are designed to make it easier for
nearby pedestrians to hear the traditional quiet automobiles when they
are approaching. Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood said the change
would make it easier for hybrid and electric car drivers to share the
road.

Assholes in the government abound! This is a solution is search of a
problem!

How many blind people have been killed or injured by "silent" cars?
Approximately zero.

Makes as much sense as having each Prius tow a steam calliope playing
Hackity-Sack music complete with a scampering monkey soliciting donations.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 11 Jan 2013 11:18:18 -0500, George
wrote:

On 1/10/2013 7:03 PM, Oren wrote:
On Thu, 10 Jan 2013 18:18:39 -0500, Kurt Ullman
wrote:

In article ,
Metspitzer wrote:

[...]

I agree with you (Keith & Ed) they should pay taxes for road use like
we all do at the pump. How will they record and collect the
information about mileage? Will they demand that you attach some gizmo
to the car and what gives them the authority to do so?

My mileage is taken each year when the smog inspection is done. I see
no simple way other than that... Not all cars are registered at one
time, so it seems to me it would be a nightmare - just sayin'.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Well, sure. I sorta liked Astro's voice, too.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Oren" wrote in message
On Fri, 11 Jan 2013 11:18:18 -0500, George
I agree with you (Keith & Ed) they should pay taxes for road use like
we all do at the pump. How will they record and collect the
information about mileage? Will they demand that you attach some gizmo
to the car and what gives them the authority to do so?

Doesn't the computer in the newer cars keep track of the milage ? Not sure
if all states require an inspection or not. They have to plug into the
computer to pass the inspection . In NC the cars are sent a seperate state
tax bill. It would be easy to send out the tax bill based on the car milage
and tax value as the tax value is based on the 'blue book' value.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 1/10/2013 7:03 PM, Oren wrote:
On Thu, 10 Jan 2013 18:18:39 -0500, Kurt Ullman
wrote:

In article ,
Metspitzer wrote:

[...]

That's the plan, AIUI. In fact, some are suggesting that we all use
them. Makes it easier to herd the sheep, don't ya' know.

Who gives them the authority? Remember, driving is a privilege. The
government owns the roads.

My mileage is taken each year when the smog inspection is done. I see
no simple way other than that... Not all cars are registered at one
time, so it seems to me it would be a nightmare - just sayin'.

GPS is cheap now. Force every car to have one and it gets even
cheaper. After all, Uncle Sam is requiring a black box. What's a GPS
cost on top of that? $.50 for the half that doesn't already have a
GPS?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 1/10/2013 7:03 PM, Oren wrote:
On Thu, 10 Jan 2013 18:18:39 -0500, Kurt Ullman
wrote:

In article ,
Metspitzer wrote:

Washington state is loosing gas taxes from these green cars, because
they pay lesser taxes by not buying enough fuel at the pump.

Now the creatures want to place a tax per mile on the green cars to
make-up the difference.

Insanity ...

What part is insane? The government collects road use taxes on liquid
fuel sales to pay for roads. Since "green" car operators purchase less
or maybe no liquid fuels how do you propose taxes would be fairly collected?

I agree with you (Keith & Ed) they should pay taxes for road use like
we all do at the pump. How will they record and collect the
information about mileage? Will they demand that you attach some gizmo
to the car and what gives them the authority to do so?

That's the plan, AIUI. In fact, some are suggesting that we all use
them. Makes it easier to herd the sheep, don't ya' know.

They can suggest all they like. I ain't fallin' for it.

Who gives them the authority? Remember, driving is a privilege. The
government owns the roads.

They do not own my vehicle.

My mileage is taken each year when the smog inspection is done. I see
no simple way other than that... Not all cars are registered at one
time, so it seems to me it would be a nightmare - just sayin'.

GPS is cheap now. Force every car to have one and it gets even
cheaper. After all, Uncle Sam is requiring a black box. What's a GPS
cost on top of that? $.50 for the half that doesn't already have a
GPS?

Uh-huh. One giant database for government abuse and intrusion.

Spit!

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 1/10/2013 7:03 PM, Oren wrote:
On Thu, 10 Jan 2013 18:18:39 -0500, Kurt Ullman
wrote:

In article ,
Metspitzer wrote:

[...]

The *do* own the roads it drives on. Hell, some states even claim to
own your driveway and you *can* get a DUI on your own property. Don't
tell me that they haven't the power to make your life miserable.

My mileage is taken each year when the smog inspection is done. I see
no simple way other than that... Not all cars are registered at one
time, so it seems to me it would be a nightmare - just sayin'.

GPS is cheap now. Force every car to have one and it gets even
cheaper. After all, Uncle Sam is requiring a black box. What's a GPS
cost on top of that? $.50 for the half that doesn't already have a
GPS?

Uh-huh. One giant database for government abuse and intrusion.

But of course. All the better to herd sheep. That *is* what people
just voted for.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/11/13 5:54 PM, wrote:

But of course. All the better to herd sheep. That *is* what people
just voted for.

Lining up for an inaugural ball:
http://tinyurl.com/aslbhsx
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 11 Jan 2013 12:43:19 -0800, Oren wrote:

I agree with you (Keith & Ed) they should pay taxes for road use like
we all do at the pump. How will they record and collect the
information about mileage? Will they demand that you attach some gizmo
to the car and what gives them the authority to do so?

My mileage is taken each year when the smog inspection is done. I see
no simple way other than that... Not all cars are registered at one
time, so it seems to me it would be a nightmare - just sayin'.

Easy enough to do. Many cars already come equipped to do that with
OnStar or BlueLink. They send monthly reports to the owner about the
car, they could also send it to the tax man.

The more difficult part is doing it by state. Truck for many years
have had to record miles traveled and fuel bought in each state
traveled. They then pay the appropriate taxes to each state. It is
now automated with GPS systems, and while that can be put into cars,
it is more expensive. With volume, I bet it is no more than a couple
of hundred bucks per car.

I live in a border town and travel more in the other state than where
my car is registered. With gas, I pay the tax where I buy the fuel.
With electric, I'd pay the tax at home, but wear out the roads
elsewhere.

With an all electric, there should be no smog inspection, but I'm sure
the state will find a way of getting you in to pay the tax.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 11 Jan 2013 16:03:06 -0500, "Ralph Mowery"
wrote:

Doesn't the computer in the newer cars keep track of the milage ? Not sure
if all states require an inspection or not. They have to plug into the
computer to pass the inspection . In NC the cars are sent a seperate state
tax bill. It would be easy to send out the tax bill based on the car milage
and tax value as the tax value is based on the 'blue book' value.

Here in CT we have no safety inspection and emissions is only after
four years old. Even then, it is only every other year for
inspection.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 11 Jan 2013 07:21:03 -0500, Kurt Ullman
wrote:

Always has been. Thus, when air bags were first put in cars, they were
sold as an ALTERNATIVE safety measure for those who wouldn't buckle
their seat belts.. Ooops.

Seat belts were an option on some cars in the early 60's. No one
bought them so the car companies may no profit on them. They the
government mandated them and the car companies apologized for raising
the price of the car and blamed the government for them being able to
make a couple of extra bucks.

My '62 Corvair had the bolt holes so you could buy aftermarket belts.
IIRC, the attachment system was mandated around that time, belts a
couple of years later in 1965. Wisconsin was first in 1961.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Always has been. Thus, when air bags were first put in cars, they were
sold as an ALTERNATIVE safety measure for those who wouldn't buckle
their seat belts.. *Ooops.

Seat belts were an option on some cars in the early 60's. No one
bought them so the car companies may no profit on them. *They the
government mandated them and the car companies apologized for raising
the price of the car and blamed the government for them being able to
make a couple of extra bucks.

My '62 Corvair had the bolt holes so you could buy aftermarket belts.
IIRC, the attachment system was mandated around that time, belts a
couple of years later in 1965. *Wisconsin was first in 1961.

my wife had a ford falcon of that era that had similar mounting
plates. Bell Labshad some sort of a deal where we the employees could
buy seat belts and then put them in ourselves.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 01-11-2013 15:35, HeyBub wrote:
Makes as much sense as having each Prius tow a steam calliope playing
Hackity-Sack music complete with a scampering monkey soliciting donations.

I could vote for that! Bread and circuses!

--
Wes Groleau

In any formula, constants (especially those obtained
from handbooks) are to be treated as variables.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 11 Jan 2013 18:57:29 -0600, Dean Hoffman
" wrote:

On 1/11/13 5:54 PM, wrote:

But of course. All the better to herd sheep. That *is* what people
just voted for.

Lining up for an inaugural ball:
http://tinyurl.com/aslbhsx

That's just not right. ROTFLMAO!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/11/2013 11:12 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
[...]

Many operators still use reporting of self determined data subject to
audit. They all use IFTA but if they aren't set up with GPS on each
vehicle tied into a reporting system they total up everything and enter
the miles/state and fuel purchases/state and upload that to IFTA.

As an aside our former governor was a big proponent of making all major
roads part of the PA pike. One of his selling points was the untrue
statement that out of state trucks transiting the state cause the most
damage and they "don't pay anything" even though IFTA has been in place
for a very long time to fairly apportion the collected taxes.

I live in a border town and travel more in the other state than where
my car is registered. With gas, I pay the tax where I buy the fuel.
With electric, I'd pay the tax at home, but wear out the roads
elsewhere.

With an all electric, there should be no smog inspection, but I'm sure
the state will find a way of getting you in to pay the tax.

The obvious solution is to require a GPS on each vehicle and have it log
all activity. Later they could even go further and implement time of day
surcharges and other "features". I am for everyone paying their fair
share but am against that idea because of the massive privacy violation
involved. For some reason I can never understand the republicans would
not have an issue.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Per HeyBub:
How many blind people have been killed or injured by "silent" cars?
Approximately zero.

I cannot cite, but somewhere I read a piece where somebody asked
how a deceased deaf person died. The answer was to the effect of
"They died the same way most deaf people die: hit by a car."

It rang true to me then and now, after being surprised by a few
electric cars while riding my bike, it rings even truer.
--
Pete Cresswell

More on electric cars. harryagain UK diy 1170 October 21st 12 07:19 PM
Electric cars. harry UK diy 2 September 7th 12 10:08 PM
Electric cars. harry UK diy 38 September 2nd 12 12:38 AM
Electric cars again Bob Eager[_2_] UK diy 30 February 26th 12 11:46 AM
Electric cars [email protected][_2_] Metalworking 9 September 29th 07 04:28 AM