Posted to alt.home.repair
Oren[_2_] Oren[_2_] is offline

Default New requirement for Electric cars. Straw in the spoke.

On Fri, 11 Jan 2013 11:18:18 -0500, George
wrote:

On 1/10/2013 7:03 PM, Oren wrote:
On Thu, 10 Jan 2013 18:18:39 -0500, Kurt Ullman
wrote:

In article ,
Metspitzer wrote:

The Department of Transportation is proposing new regulations that
would require hybrid and electric cars to make more noise when their
engines are running. The rules are designed to make it easier for
nearby pedestrians to hear the traditional quiet automobiles when they
are approaching. Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood said the change
would make it easier for hybrid and electric car drivers to share the
road.

"Safety is our highest priority, and this proposal will help keep
everyone using our nation's streets and roadways safe, whether they
are motorists, bicyclists or pedestrians, and especially the blind and
visually impaired," LaHood said in a statement released by the DOT.
Under the requirement, cars would be required to be heard above
typical street noises when they are traveling at speeds less than 18
miles per hour.

I almost got run over by one backing out of parking space without
looking a couple of days ago. They ARE quiet.

Washington state is loosing gas taxes from these green cars, because
they pay lesser taxes by not buying enough fuel at the pump.

Now the creatures want to place a tax per mile on the green cars to
make-up the difference.

Insanity ...

What part is insane? The government collects road use taxes on liquid
fuel sales to pay for roads. Since "green" car operators purchase less
or maybe no liquid fuels how do you propose taxes would be fairly collected?

I agree with you (Keith & Ed) they should pay taxes for road use like
we all do at the pump. How will they record and collect the
information about mileage? Will they demand that you attach some gizmo
to the car and what gives them the authority to do so?

My mileage is taken each year when the smog inspection is done. I see
no simple way other than that... Not all cars are registered at one
time, so it seems to me it would be a nightmare - just sayin'.