Posted to alt.home.repair
Frank[_17_] Frank[_17_] is offline

Default New requirement for Electric cars. Straw in the spoke.

On 1/10/2013 6:18 PM, Kurt Ullman wrote:
In article ,
Metspitzer wrote:

The Department of Transportation is proposing new regulations that
would require hybrid and electric cars to make more noise when their
engines are running. The rules are designed to make it easier for
nearby pedestrians to hear the traditional quiet automobiles when they
are approaching. Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood said the change
would make it easier for hybrid and electric car drivers to share the
road.

"Safety is our highest priority, and this proposal will help keep
everyone using our nation's streets and roadways safe, whether they
are motorists, bicyclists or pedestrians, and especially the blind and
visually impaired," LaHood said in a statement released by the DOT.
Under the requirement, cars would be required to be heard above
typical street noises when they are traveling at speeds less than 18
miles per hour.

I almost got run over by one backing out of parking space without
looking a couple of days ago. They ARE quiet.

I rode in a new Prius and it was surprising how high the road noise was.

Quiet outside, noisy inside