Posted to alt.home.repair

Default New requirement for Electric cars. Straw in the spoke.

On Jan 11, 10:26*pm, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On Fri, 11 Jan 2013 07:21:03 -0500, Kurt Ullman
wrote:

Always has been. Thus, when air bags were first put in cars, they were
sold as an ALTERNATIVE safety measure for those who wouldn't buckle
their seat belts.. *Ooops.

Seat belts were an option on some cars in the early 60's. No one
bought them so the car companies may no profit on them. *They the
government mandated them and the car companies apologized for raising
the price of the car and blamed the government for them being able to
make a couple of extra bucks.

My '62 Corvair had the bolt holes so you could buy aftermarket belts.
IIRC, the attachment system was mandated around that time, belts a
couple of years later in 1965. *Wisconsin was first in 1961.

my wife had a ford falcon of that era that had similar mounting
plates. Bell Labshad some sort of a deal where we the employees could
buy seat belts and then put them in ourselves.