Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Removing paper backing from old Plexiglas

Yesterday I was about to toss all the Plexi scraps I have because the paper
backing is stuck on so tight it can't be peeled off. I decided to try
laquer thinner, assuming it was going to melt the plexiglass since they were
headed for the trash anyway.

I moistened a paper towel with it, place it on the paper backing and a few
minutes later it had softened the backing enough so that I could peel it
free (with a bit of work - the scraps are probably 25 years old).

The Plexiglas appears to be completely unharmed by the solvent, which really
surprised me. I thought would cloud it or melt it. I am now going to try
to figure out the best way to scale up the process to get the backing off
some very large sheets of 1/4" stuff. If anyone's interested I'll post the
brand of laquer thinner and the type of Plexiglas it's working on. I know I
have some Lexan scraps mixed in, so it may only work on certain types of
Plexi.

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Robert Green" wrote in news:k8332m$uuk$1@dont-
email.me:

Yesterday I was about to toss all the Plexi scraps I have because the paper
backing is stuck on so tight it can't be peeled off. I decided to try
laquer thinner, assuming it was going to melt the plexiglass since they were
headed for the trash anyway.

I moistened a paper towel with it, place it on the paper backing and a few
minutes later it had softened the backing enough so that I could peel it
free (with a bit of work - the scraps are probably 25 years old).

Have you tried a heat gun?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/15/2012 9:05 AM, Doug Miller wrote:
"Robert Green" wrote in news:k8332m$uuk$1@dont-
email.me:

Yesterday I was about to toss all the Plexi scraps I have because the paper
backing is stuck on so tight it can't be peeled off. I decided to try
laquer thinner, assuming it was going to melt the plexiglass since they were
headed for the trash anyway.

I moistened a paper towel with it, place it on the paper backing and a few
minutes later it had softened the backing enough so that I could peel it
free (with a bit of work - the scraps are probably 25 years old).

Have you tried a heat gun?

wouldn't it be tricky to not melt the plexi too?

i know acetone will fog plexi, and ammonia products can lead to
microfractures.

Posted to alt.home.repair

chaniarts wrote:
On 11/15/2012 9:05 AM, Doug Miller wrote:
"Robert Green" wrote in news:k8332m$uuk$1@dont-
email.me:

Yesterday I was about to toss all the Plexi scraps I have because the paper
backing is stuck on so tight it can't be peeled off. I decided to try
laquer thinner, assuming it was going to melt the plexiglass since they were
headed for the trash anyway.

I moistened a paper towel with it, place it on the paper backing and a few
minutes later it had softened the backing enough so that I could peel it
free (with a bit of work - the scraps are probably 25 years old).

Have you tried a heat gun?

wouldn't it be tricky to not melt the plexi too?

i know acetone will fog plexi, and ammonia products can lead to microfractures.

Perhaps the lacquer thing was a matter of timing.

Don't use alcohol.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

Robert Green wrote:

[...]

There is a Chem-Peel product specifically for that purpose that is
available from plastics suppliers. The laquer thinner may not cause
immediately visible damage, it can appear days later.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/15/2012 10:44 AM, Robert Green wrote:
[...]

Polymethylmethacrylate is susceptible to most solvents. I know you can
use 15% isopropanol in water to safely clean it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
. ..
"Robert Green" wrote in

email.me:

Yesterday I was about to toss all the Plexi scraps I have because the

paper
backing is stuck on so tight it can't be peeled off. I decided to try
laquer thinner, assuming it was going to melt the plexiglass since they

were
headed for the trash anyway.

I moistened a paper towel with it, place it on the paper backing and a

few
minutes later it had softened the backing enough so that I could peel it
free (with a bit of work - the scraps are probably 25 years old).

Have you tried a heat gun?

I tried everything. The heat gun doesn't seem to soften the backing but it
does warp the plastic. Has it worked for you? Maybe there's a difference
in heat output or technique.

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"chaniarts" wrote in message
On 11/15/2012 9:05 AM, Doug Miller wrote:
"Robert Green" wrote in

email.me:

Yesterday I was about to toss all the Plexi scraps I have because the

paper
backing is stuck on so tight it can't be peeled off. I decided to try
laquer thinner, assuming it was going to melt the plexiglass since they

were
headed for the trash anyway.

I moistened a paper towel with it, place it on the paper backing and a

few
minutes later it had softened the backing enough so that I could peel

it
free (with a bit of work - the scraps are probably 25 years old).

Have you tried a heat gun?

wouldn't it be tricky to not melt the plexi too?

i know acetone will fog plexi, and ammonia products can lead to
microfractures.

I was very suprised to see that the plexi wasn't immediately melted. Laquer
thinner seems to have that effect on most other plastics it comes it contact
with. I'll take my camera downstairs to take some pictures. I used the
lacquer thinner since I was about to toss the scraps and figured what the
heck. Not sure how the technique will work on the big 4 foot sheets I have.
I am thinking of some felt pads soaked with LT and then covered by aluminum
foil to retard evaporation. Once it soaks through (and NOTHING else I have
tried soaked through before) the backing gets gooey and (mostly) peels off.

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"gregz" wrote in message
stuff snipped

i know acetone will fog plexi, and ammonia products can lead to

microfractures.

Perhaps the lacquer thing was a matter of timing.

Don't use alcohol.

This 25 year old backing paper laughed at acetone, alcohol, turpentine, hot
water, ammonia and more. Nothing softened the paper or seemed to penetrate.
I was pretty shocked to see the backing peel away and the Plexi not be
melted by the LT.

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Pete C." wrote in message
.com...

Robert Green wrote:

[...]

I looked for that the last time I went through this. Couldn't find it.
Some chemical facial peels at spas showed up in the search. Lots of
differing opinions how to do this, lots of different types of plastic, some
resistance to LT, some not. One hint for large sheets came out of that
search:

"To get the old paper off and even the new in large sheets we use a broom
stick and two strong guys with big fore arms. You start peeling back the
edge of the paper and then wrap it around the broom stick or other stick and
start rolling it. Be carefull not the let it tear. this works great and when
you are all done throw out the stick. We have also added wood clamps on the
end of the stick to make it easier to roll up. We use a chemical called
Bestine it is the best for removing gummy, sticky materials. It is used in
the sign industry."

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb...iglass-194671/

Found a post by you from the long ago past, too: (-:

http://www.homegardenguides.com/gard...r-backing.html

Chem-peel - Specifically designed for that purpose and works very well
without harming the plex. I got mine from a plastic supply house,
imagine you'd have to do the same as it was clearly not a consumer
product. Seem to recall it was made by something like "Ogden Labs" in
Utah.

Pete C.

Thanks for your input, Pete.

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

chaniarts wrote in :

On 11/15/2012 9:05 AM, Doug Miller wrote:
"Robert Green" wrote in news:k8332m$uuk$1@dont-
email.me:

Yesterday I was about to toss all the Plexi scraps I have because the paper
backing is stuck on so tight it can't be peeled off. I decided to try
laquer thinner, assuming it was going to melt the plexiglass since they were
headed for the trash anyway.

I moistened a paper towel with it, place it on the paper backing and a few
minutes later it had softened the backing enough so that I could peel it
free (with a bit of work - the scraps are probably 25 years old).

Have you tried a heat gun?

wouldn't it be tricky to not melt the plexi too?

Depends on how careful you are, I guess. It works for me.
Senior Member

I agree with Frank. Plexiglas is just Rohm & Haas' trade name for a cast sheet made of a plastic called "polymethyl methacrylate" or PMMA for short. If DuPont were to make that sheet, it'd be called "Lucite", and if ICI of Britain were to make it, it'd be a sheet of "Perspex". They're all just trade names for a cast sheet of the same plastic.

PMMA is used to make good quality interior and exterior latex paints, floor finishes, grout and masonary sealers, Corian and other fake marble counter tops and women's nail polish. So, anything that dissolves PMMA will also dissolve paints, floor finishes, Corian counter tops, etc., including lacquer thinner, toluene (the principle constituent of lacquer thinner) acetone, alcohols (including isopropyl and methanol), xylene, MEK and paint stripper (aka: methylene chloride).

If it were me, I would wet the paper down with mineral spirits instead, and then wrap with Saran Wrap or wax paper to prevent the mineral spirits from evaporating. That will allow more time for the mineral spirits to penetrate to the paper/PMMA interface and dissolve the old glue there. Mineral spirits won't harm PMMA at all.

Last edited by nestork : November 16th 12 at 07:25 AM
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/16/2012 12:18 AM, nestork wrote:
[...]

I had some old pieces of red plex that I'd given up ever removing the
paper. Tossed them in a bucket. Long story, but ended up with a
plastic bottle of brake fluid that was leaking in the same bucket. The
paper slid right off the plexiglas. It would be worth an experiment to
see how long it would take to reach this state.

--

___________________________________

Keep the whole world singing . . .
Dan G
remove the seven

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2012-11-16, nestork wrote:

glue there. Mineral spirits won't harm PMMA at all.

.....and they will work eventually. We used stoddard's solvent.

I would be interested in knowing about the brake fluid. We had some
plexi that was years old and even stoddards required some elbow grease.

Another nightmare is masking tape on metal and allowed to bake in hot
sun for a long hot summer.

nb

--
Definition of objectivism:
"Eff you! I got mine."
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11-15-2012 10:44, Robert Green wrote:
Yesterday I was about to toss all the Plexi scraps I have because the paper
backing is stuck on so tight it can't be peeled off. I decided to try
laquer thinner, assuming it was going to melt the plexiglass since they were

I haven't tried it on plexiglas, but I've often put stubborn glues in
the dishwasher. Have yet to find anything that leaves even a trace
after one cycle.

Of course I also haven't tried it on anything subject to water damage.

Also in the dishwasher: I bought a used computer which worked fine
except that the keyboard must have been used for years to protect the
table cloth from syrup and grease drippings. Dishwasher fixed that,
too. Typing on it now. (You do have to drain them well and give them a
few days to dry completely before plugging them in.)

--
Wes Groleau

Is it an on-line compliment to call someone a Net Wit ?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, November 15, 2012 10:51:51 AM UTC-5, Robert Green wrote:
[...]

I use "Quick 'n Easy" Specialty Adhesive Remover by AUTOTECH. This stuff is awesome. Just spray it on and let it soak in to the paper, then carefully peel it off. Wet a shop rag with the spray and wipe away the residual adhesive. It doesn't melt the plexiglass! Old deteriorated plexiglass with paper that's been sitting in the corner for a few years...no problem http://www.autotechmfg.com/products.html
John.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I use Naptha as a general purpose solvent, it doesn't seem to do anything to Plexiglas.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/8/2013 7:23 PM, wrote:
[...]

By accident I had a bottle of brake fluid break open where it got on
some red plexiglas that I had been saving, but could not get the paper
off. It was not instant, but that paper came off in full sheets with
zero harm to the plexiglas.

If I have the problem again, I will look for the autotech product. No -
I know that I'm enough of a cheapskate, I'll probably go with the brake
fluid again.

--

___________________________________

Keep the whole world singing . . .
Dan G
remove the seven

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, November 15, 2012 at 5:51:51 PM UTC+2, Robert Green wrote:
[...]

Hi Bobby,

May you please advise of the brand of laquer thinner to use. I have very large sheets which I intend to use.

Thanks

Godfrey
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/20/2015 8:22 AM, wrote:
[...]

Brand matters little. In years past, they were all ketone based, MEK,
and worked pretty much that same. New air standards have changed the
formula and most have soy methyl esters, ethylene glycol and stuff but
most are similar. If the OP used a can that was a few years old, the
formula has changed.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/20/2015 8:45 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 1/20/2015 8:22 AM, wrote:
[...]

Exactly! Buy some damn lacquer thinner, try it on a small area and see
what happens. It either works or it doesn't. If it crazes the acrylic
sheet you then know that it doesn't work. If it doesn't craze it and
doesn't remove the paper are you any the worse off?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2015-01-21, Unquestionably Confused wrote:

Exactly! Buy some damn lacquer thinner, try it on a small area and see
what happens. It either works or it doesn't. If it crazes the acrylic
sheet you then know that it doesn't work. If it doesn't craze it and
doesn't remove the paper are you any the worse off?

I usta work at a US govt lab. We hadda lotta plexiglass and some was
pretty old. The old paper backing in those days (80s) was near
impossible to get off, after a certain age. We had a lotta solvents,
etc, and tried 'em all. Stoddard's solvent (wht spirits) worked the
best, but still required mucho elbo grease.

Even worse!! ....plain ol' masking tape on stainless steel, baked on
for 2 mos in the CA Summer sun. Sorry! No solvents work. Jes a
lotta guys with razor blade scrappers, also in the hot CA sun.

I've got some plexiglass from True Value. Now, seems to be covered
with a see-thru plastic film cover. Comes right off on a piece that's
2 yrs old. Thank-you, whoever you are!

nb

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, November 15, 2012 at 9:51:51 AM UTC-6, Robert Green wrote:
[...]

Naptha softens/dissolves most backing glues for me.
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Robert Green, John wrote:
It actually works. Soak paper with lacquer thinner
Allow to soak for 10 minutes then test peel. If not lifting, add another wipe
of thinner. When paper lifts, peel back slowly and repeat till the end. Wipe
off excess glue with thinner rag as you go....thank you so much...
Cheers
John

--
posted from
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...as-721896-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2016-06-25, John wrote:
replying to Robert Green, John wrote:
It actually works. Soak paper with lacquer thinner
Allow to soak for 10 minutes then test peel. If not lifting, add another wipe
of thinner. When paper lifts, peel back slowly and repeat till the end. Wipe
off excess glue with thinner rag as you go....thank you so much...

I'm not gonna dispute John's post, as I do not know what they are
doing, now. But, waay back, we had some really old Plexiglass w/ some
kinda brn paper protecting the surface.

Couldn't get it off. Tried everything and we hadda buncha choices.
This at a govt lab that could get any solvent on the planet. We
finally settled on Stodard's (mineral) solvent.

Still, this was many yrs ago. The last sheet of Plexiglass I bought
had some sorta "clear" covering. Heck, it's peeling off on its own.

nb
Posted to alt.home.repair

Well read thru everyone's posts I'm having the same problems here's what I learned ....
The paper laminate ply is latex in my circumstance no Chem peel and ironically, there's no adhesive . the paper/ latex is rolled onto the acrylic sheet a creates a static adhesive that shrinks when cool
My experiment will be to use a new car buffer pad and plexiglass cleaner as a medium
Other than that its taken two people and six hours to manually remove the paper and now the latex .... One has contemplated harri marry while the other creates suggestions in the middle of the day ling project one has also considered melting the plexi and latex with carb choke cleaner as a last resort toward the frustration this causes ... However I think the buffer plexi cleaner hot water will work

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Robert Green, Lou Delach wrote:
I just heard a solution of water and Oxi-clean will work. Soak the parts and
labels should come off glass and plastic. I haven't tried it yet, but was just
about to try this.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...as-721896-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair
bob bob is offline

I tried Goo gone ,goof off , WD 40, and other chemicals ,cleaners .NONE worked like just using a pressure washer from harbor freight tools. or just go to a car wash and use the hot wax setting .

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...as-721896-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, June 8, 2021 at 2:15:08 PM UTC-4, bob wrote:
I tried Goo gone ,goof off , WD 40, and other chemicals ,cleaners .NONE worked like just using a pressure washer from harbor freight tools. or just go to a car wash and use the hot wax setting .

The best adhesive remover known to man:

https://www.amazon.com/Ronson-Ounces.../dp/B088KS53NL

Soaks through paper labels and gets right to the adhesive. If the label is water resistant, just
lift a corner and let the fluid seep underneath. Peel back slowly as the adhesive dissolves.

Some water resistant labels can be delaminated. The plastic outer layer can be removed
with a pair of tweezers, leaving the paper behind. Soak the paper with the lighter fluid and
remove it as the adhesive dissolves.

I have removed literally thousands of labels over time and nothing works better than good
old Ronsonol.