Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Backing Paper for painting

Hi.
It never occured to me before but I saw a site that suggested that
backing paper is acceptable for painting over.
Anyone got any thought and/or experience of this method?

Thanks.

Arthur
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12 Dec, 12:23, Arthur 51 wrote:
Hi.
It never occured to me before but I saw a site that suggested that
backing paper is acceptable for painting over.
Anyone got any thought and/or experience of this method?

Thanks.

Arthur

In case of confusion. By backing paper I mean wallpaper backing
paper.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 12, 12:50 pm, Arthur 51 wrote:
On 12 Dec, 12:23, Arthur 51 wrote:

Hi.
It never occured to me before but I saw a site that suggested that
backing paper is acceptable for painting over.
Anyone got any thought and/or experience of this method?

Thanks.

Arthur

In case of confusion. By backing paper I mean wallpaper backing
paper.

Lining paper? Yes, it's very acceptable for painting over.

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Arthur 51 wrote:
Hi.
It never occured to me before but I saw a site that suggested that
backing paper is acceptable for painting over.
Anyone got any thought and/or experience of this method?

Thanks.

Arthur

Yes, I always paper over wooden boxing before painting walls. No problems.

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12 Dec, 13:20, NoSpam wrote:
Arthur 51 wrote:
Hi.
It never occured to me before but I saw a site that suggested that
backing paper is acceptable for painting over.
Anyone got any thought and/or experience of this method?

Thanks.

Arthur

Yes, I always paper over wooden boxing before painting walls. No problems.

Dave

Faced with a choice of sugar-soaping the old crud left after striping
wallpaper, or hanging a lining paper, I'd go for the latter. Deals
with a multitude of imperfections.

Happily, the previous owners of our house wallpapered the bedroom with
some kind of vinyl stuff, which peeled off dry in sheets, leaving
behind a perfect paper backing layer, with just a few corners and
seams needing to be pasted back before over-painting with emulsion.

Regards
Richard

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12 Dec, 12:50, Arthur 51 wrote:
On 12 Dec, 12:23, Arthur 51 wrote:

Hi.
It never occured to me before but I saw a site that suggested that
backing paper is acceptable for painting over.
Anyone got any thought and/or experience of this method?

Thanks.

Arthur

In case of confusion. By backing paper I mean wallpaper backing
paper.

When I was a professional decorator, I always painted onto lining
paper, even on new plaster. You get an incomporably better finish, no
matter how well trowelled or filled the wall. This is especially so
when you have to deal with walls that have previously been painted
with a roller (makes sign of the cross) because Real Painters use
brushes. I've just lined the ceiling and walls of our kitchen, partly
because the previous finish looked like W H Auden's face, and partly
because removing the coving and the attendant snots of adhesive meant
that painting the surface directly would have resulted in a sub-
optimal finish. Gave the ceiling its first coat this morning - boss
job.

Edward
Posted to uk.d-i-y

geraldthehamster wrote:
On 12 Dec, 13:20, NoSpam wrote:
Arthur 51 wrote:
[...]

You can also get special lining paper for painting. Not as absorbent as
the usual stuff and appears to have a thin vinyl layer on the surface.
Better to paint on, but it doesn't stretch, so is less forgiving with
wavy walls.