Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart Noble Stuart Noble is offline

Default Backing Paper for painting

geraldthehamster wrote:
On 12 Dec, 13:20, NoSpam wrote:
Arthur 51 wrote:
Hi.
It never occured to me before but I saw a site that suggested that
backing paper is acceptable for painting over.
Anyone got any thought and/or experience of this method?
Thanks.
Arthur

Yes, I always paper over wooden boxing before painting walls. No problems.

Dave

Faced with a choice of sugar-soaping the old crud left after striping
wallpaper, or hanging a lining paper, I'd go for the latter. Deals
with a multitude of imperfections.

Happily, the previous owners of our house wallpapered the bedroom with
some kind of vinyl stuff, which peeled off dry in sheets, leaving
behind a perfect paper backing layer, with just a few corners and
seams needing to be pasted back before over-painting with emulsion.

Regards
Richard

You can also get special lining paper for painting. Not as absorbent as
the usual stuff and appears to have a thin vinyl layer on the surface.
Better to paint on, but it doesn't stretch, so is less forgiving with
wavy walls.