Posted to uk.d-i-y
fredbloggstwo

Default Wall paper for painting ?

I am decorating my son's bedroom in out 1930's semi.
Wall are stripped back to plaster.
Walls are not in very good condition.
Have filled major holes in walls.
Son wants to paint walls off-white.
I think this will look pretty crap if painting over existing surface.
Don't want expense of skimming.
Think paper is a probable fix - then paint this.

What would you paper the walls with prior to painting?

Thanks

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

fredbloggstwo wrote:
I am decorating my son's bedroom in out 1930's semi.
Wall are stripped back to plaster.
Walls are not in very good condition.
Have filled major holes in walls.
Son wants to paint walls off-white.
I think this will look pretty crap if painting over existing surface.
Don't want expense of skimming.
Think paper is a probable fix - then paint this.

What would you paper the walls with prior to painting?

Thanks

Cheap £2 a roll non vinyl wallpaper or thick lining paper.
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

fredbloggstwo wrote:
I am decorating my son's bedroom in out 1930's semi.
Wall are stripped back to plaster.
Walls are not in very good condition.
Have filled major holes in walls.
Son wants to paint walls off-white.
I think this will look pretty crap if painting over existing surface.
Don't want expense of skimming.

How bad is it? Small cracks, etc. can be dealt with by using a float
and wiping runny polyfilla over the surface. Holes can be filled and
rubbed down gently with glasspaper on a wooden block. You can apply
a coat of paint (do *not* use rubbish!) and see how it looks - and
then make good imperfections.

Think paper is a probable fix - then paint this.

It would work (you want "whites"), but the surface still needs to be
reasonable, or the result will "look pretty crap"! You could do a
halfway thing - paper the worst, paint the rest.

What would you paper the walls with prior to painting?

Lining paper will be most resistant to damage from furniture
rubbing against it. "Wood chip" (ingrain) is OK, but the "chips"
may come out. Embossed papers are more likely to flatten or rip.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
EricP

On Wed, 23 Nov 2005 21:27:59 -0000, "fredbloggstwo"
wrote:

I am decorating my son's bedroom in out 1930's semi.
Wall are stripped back to plaster.
Walls are not in very good condition.
Have filled major holes in walls.
Son wants to paint walls off-white.
I think this will look pretty crap if painting over existing surface.
Don't want expense of skimming.
Think paper is a probable fix - then paint this.

What would you paper the walls with prior to painting?

Thanks

Wickes do 1000 guage lining paper. like hardboarding the wall.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

EricP wrote:
Wickes do 1000 guage lining paper. like hardboarding the wall.

They do long rolls, too (50m) for £3.59 ISTR. This paper is not
first quality, but it's OK if you don't rub it a lot putting
it on. It needs a *lot* of soaking to become pliable, 20 minutes
is OK. Wipe the wall over with paste, too.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mathew Newton

wrote:

I am decorating my son's bedroom in out 1930's semi.
Wall are stripped back to plaster.
Walls are not in very good condition.
Have filled major holes in walls.
Son wants to paint walls off-white.
I think this will look pretty crap if painting over existing surface.
Don't want expense of skimming.
Think paper is a probable fix - then paint this.

What would you paper the walls with prior to painting?

Thanks

Wickes do 1000 guage lining paper. like hardboarding the wall.

Indeed. We use 1400 grade - superb for covering imperfections and a
doddle to hang seem-free given the thickness!

Mathew

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rick

wrote:

I am decorating my son's bedroom in out 1930's semi.
Wall are stripped back to plaster.
Walls are not in very good condition.
Have filled major holes in walls.
Son wants to paint walls off-white.
I think this will look pretty crap if painting over existing surface.
Don't want expense of skimming.
Think paper is a probable fix - then paint this.

What would you paper the walls with prior to painting?

Thanks

Thick lining paper, possibly more than one layer.

Rick

Posted to uk.d-i-y
fredbloggstwo

"fredbloggstwo" wrote in message
I am decorating my son's bedroom in out 1930's semi.
Wall are stripped back to plaster.
Walls are not in very good condition.
Have filled major holes in walls.
Son wants to paint walls off-white.
I think this will look pretty crap if painting over existing surface.
Don't want expense of skimming.
Think paper is a probable fix - then paint this.

What would you paper the walls with prior to painting?

Thanks

Thanks to all
Trip to Wickes it is.

Kind regards, Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart Noble

Andy wrote:
"fredbloggstwo" wrote in message

"fredbloggstwo" wrote in message

I am decorating my son's bedroom in out 1930's semi.
Wall are stripped back to plaster.
Walls are not in very good condition.
Have filled major holes in walls.
Son wants to paint walls off-white.
I think this will look pretty crap if painting over existing surface.
Don't want expense of skimming.
Think paper is a probable fix - then paint this.

What would you paper the walls with prior to painting?

Thanks

Thanks to all
Trip to Wickes it is.

Kind regards, Mike

You can get some very nice embossed wallpapers nowadays, my brother has
them. Just paint over them in the colour of your choice, very effective.

Andy.

You can also get "lining paper for decorative surfaces" from B&Q or
Focus. This has a blown vinyl layer (which isn't mentioned on the label)
but virtually no texture, so you can't tell it from standard lining
paper once it's up. Slightly less forgiving so soak for half an hour to
avoid bubbles.
Less absorbent so a lot less paint required to get a good finish

Raising shed walls/trusses keyridge Woodworking 12 July 8th 05 12:54 PM
Bare brick internal wall: paper or emulsion? [email protected] UK diy 7 January 28th 05 11:27 PM
video on plastering TXXT123 UK diy 9 September 2nd 04 11:21 PM
Deck Set on Retaining Wall jacktripper Home Repair 6 July 22nd 04 06:22 PM
"Damp" internal wall - initial measurements made. Any ideas? Clive Long,UK UK diy 5 January 30th 04 09:28 AM