Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

ameijers

Default removing shelf paper

House I just bought has multiple layers of that damn shelf paper stuff in
all the kitchen cabinets and drawers, and top layer feels sticky to the
touch, but doesn't look dirty. (Maybe previous owners pulled out the paper
they put in, and got discouraged at all the layers?) Any hints on how to
remove all this crap, preferably without spending a week doing it, or
steam-cleaning the cabinets? Is Simple Green or any of the common spray
cleaners solvent for the adhesive used? I want bare wood shelves, however
ugly. If they are too scarred up, I will paint the interiors. Cabinets are
1960-vintage wood in sound condition for age, but with an unfortunate
amateur refinish on outside.

aem sends....

KLS

On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 11:03:33 GMT, "ameijers"
wrote:

House I just bought has multiple layers of that damn shelf paper stuff in
all the kitchen cabinets and drawers, and top layer feels sticky to the
touch, but doesn't look dirty. (Maybe previous owners pulled out the paper
they put in, and got discouraged at all the layers?) Any hints on how to
remove all this crap, preferably without spending a week doing it, or
steam-cleaning the cabinets? Is Simple Green or any of the common spray
cleaners solvent for the adhesive used? I want bare wood shelves, however
ugly. If they are too scarred up, I will paint the interiors. Cabinets are
1960-vintage wood in sound condition for age, but with an unfortunate
amateur refinish on outside.

I totally sympathize. My experience is that only elbow grease works:
patience and persistence in scoring and scraping and pulling up the
old sticky stuff. It's worth doing for the end result you want,
though, seriously, so just gut it out. I was fortunately able to
convince my other half that we didn't need to put down new contact
paper, that we could just use that clear vinyl stuff on the shelves,
and I really like it because you can take it out to clean it and then
put it back, no permanent attachment.
Al Bundy

ameijers wrote:
House I just bought has multiple layers of that damn shelf paper stuff in
all the kitchen cabinets and drawers, and top layer feels sticky to the
touch, but doesn't look dirty. (Maybe previous owners pulled out the paper
they put in, and got discouraged at all the layers?) Any hints on how to
remove all this crap, preferably without spending a week doing it, or
steam-cleaning the cabinets? Is Simple Green or any of the common spray
cleaners solvent for the adhesive used? I want bare wood shelves, however
ugly. If they are too scarred up, I will paint the interiors. Cabinets are
1960-vintage wood in sound condition for age, but with an unfortunate
amateur refinish on outside.

aem sends....

Heat it up with a hair dryer and it should pull right off.

PSA Sand Paper Leon Woodworking 18 May 29th 05 04:48 PM
This Old Shelf? Tom Watson Woodworking 4 May 2nd 05 05:09 AM
Opps! Removing wall paper Oh_Jeeze Home Repair 4 December 19th 04 11:43 PM
Neanderthal-style Shelf Installation (long) Patrick Olguin Woodworking 11 April 5th 04 04:39 AM
Run on toilet paper predicted Stormin Mormon Home Repair 12 October 30th 03 08:48 PM