Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Green Robert Green is offline

Default Removing paper backing from old Plexiglas

"chaniarts" wrote in message
On 11/15/2012 9:05 AM, Doug Miller wrote:
"Robert Green" wrote in

email.me:

Yesterday I was about to toss all the Plexi scraps I have because the

paper
backing is stuck on so tight it can't be peeled off. I decided to try
laquer thinner, assuming it was going to melt the plexiglass since they

were
headed for the trash anyway.

I moistened a paper towel with it, place it on the paper backing and a

few
minutes later it had softened the backing enough so that I could peel

it
free (with a bit of work - the scraps are probably 25 years old).

Have you tried a heat gun?

wouldn't it be tricky to not melt the plexi too?

i know acetone will fog plexi, and ammonia products can lead to
microfractures.

I was very suprised to see that the plexi wasn't immediately melted. Laquer
thinner seems to have that effect on most other plastics it comes it contact
with. I'll take my camera downstairs to take some pictures. I used the
lacquer thinner since I was about to toss the scraps and figured what the
heck. Not sure how the technique will work on the big 4 foot sheets I have.
I am thinking of some felt pads soaked with LT and then covered by aluminum
foil to retard evaporation. Once it soaks through (and NOTHING else I have
tried soaked through before) the backing gets gooey and (mostly) peels off.

--
Bobby G.