Posted to alt.home.repair

Default (OT) Must I allow political calls on my phone?

My landline phone is on the "Do Not Call" (DNC) list. That has stopped
most of the phone spam. However, I know that the DNC list does not
block political calls. With election time getting close, I'm getting
more of these. I dont want them. Particularly those that want my
opinion about candidates. This annoys me to no end.

1. I hate politics, and want no part of any of it. It's bad enough
seeing all the TV commercials that make every candidate look bad. I
wont vote for any *major party* candidate for any reason.

2. My choice of candidate is no one's business except my own, and I
refuse to tell anyone other than family members who I choose.

3. They are flooding my answering machine with this garbage, which is
causing me to lose important calls when the machine gets filled.

My phone is PRIVATE, and I dont want *anyone* calling it except persons
to whom I give my phone number.

Must I allow political calls on my phone, or is there some way to stop
them?

Until I do find a way to stop them, I will continue to be as rude and
nasty as I can to those who do call. Doing that just makes me hope they
get the message that I dont want them calling me.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 11, 12:45*pm, wrote:
My landline phone is on the "Do Not Call" (DNC) list. *That has stopped
most of the phone spam. *However, I know that the DNC list does not
block political calls. *With election time getting close, I'm getting
more of these. *I dont want them. *Particularly those that want my
opinion about candidates. *This annoys me to no end.

1. I hate politics, and want no part of any of it. *It's bad enough
seeing all the TV commercials that make every candidate look bad. *I
wont vote for any *major party* candidate for any reason.

Your emphasis on "major party" implies that you will vote for a minor
party candidate. If that's true, then you do indeed want some part of
politics.

You can't have it both ways.

2. My choice of candidate is no one's business except my own, and I
refuse to tell anyone other than family members who I choose.

Yet you just told all of us who you would *not* vote for, so you have
indeed made it somebody else's business.

You can't have it both ways.

Posted to alt.home.repair

My guess, is that the people who wrote the "anti obnoxious calls" laws,
exempted themselves. Being rude will probably not reduce the calls. But,
worth trying.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 11 Sep 2012 17:34:08 -0400, wrote:

Sending an unsolicited fax is a federal crime so I doubt they would do
that.

Even if they did send a fax, I've never seen a person doing time for
it. Not a single person jailed. Oops I misdialed.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
My guess, is that the people who wrote the "anti obnoxious calls"
laws, exempted themselves. Being rude will probably not reduce the
calls. But, worth trying.

You guessed wrong.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 11 Sep 2012 11:44:03 -0500, wrote:

[...]

A couple possibilities.

Move to maryland or one of the other states where it's certain who
will win. We don't get calls, we don't get tv or radio commercials,
or more than a couple mailings. We barely know what's going on.
When a famous political commercial is discussed, we don't know what it
says.

You have to pay for this, but there are phone company options that
only let some callers through. Wait, that's email. Maybe it's that
you can get a second number that will ring the same phones but ring it
differently. Then you have to give that number to people you like.
Of course that takes time, and maybe the political callers just call
phone numbers in numeric order, so they'll get you anyhow. (I don't
thinkit's because you registered to vote. At least in Md. Ididnt'
give them my phone number. )

So I guess I have no good ideas. Sorry.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Let the phone ring. Most robo callers hang up by the 4th ring. By the
second ring my caller ID on the TV has identified them anyway.
Sometimes I just pick up and hang up.

I often wondered if the robo dialer was smart enough to hear a fax
machine and remove the number from the list.

Before the do not call list, there was a tone you could record on your
phone machine that I believe told the robocall computer to erase you.
First they sold this tone, but then it appeared on the web, and I was
going to put it on my phone machine but the DNC list appeared.

I'm sure it's still on the web, and I think that I read it works.

Sending an unsolicited fax is a federal crime so I doubt they would do
that.

Good point. Well, except they woudln't be sending a fax, just
talking to the fax maachine.

Still, that tone might have been the fax machine tone.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 11 Sep 2012 11:44:03 -0500, wrote:

My landline phone is on the "Do Not Call" (DNC) list. That has stopped
most of the phone spam. However, I know that the DNC list does not
block political calls.

Right. Political speech is traditionally considered one of the most
protected, and even though blocking the calls would not be a violation
of the first amendment, since they can say whatever they want
somewhere else

I haven't got time to read this right now, It's 100 dollars but seems
to do several things.
http://www.digitone.com/Digitone%20Call%20Blocker.htm

This is what I referred to in another post
It wasn't a fax tone. It was the squeal that it makes when you call a
disconnected number. If this does't work, you can probably call a
disconnected number and record the tone. Put the tone at the start
of your phone machine's message. People may wonder what it is but at
least the second time your friend's call they[ll wait on the line past
the tone.

http://www.payphone-directory.org/sounds.html

Margaret writes

Here's the answer to all our prayers. Telemarketers almost
exclusively use "autodialers" to make their calls. One out of a
thousand will have live reps doing the dialing. When these dialers
connect (you answer the phone) they listen for any "tones" generated.
If no "tones" are detected they then transfer the call to one of the
reps in a call center. "IF" the autodialer hears the 3 beeps from

-- I wouldn't call them beeps. I think they were like oooeeeooo.
And I don't know which sound on that page is the one you want, because
I'm too in a hurry to read them all. Let us know which is the right
one. --

dialing a "DISCONNECTED" number, the number that was just dialed is
automatically "REMOVED" from their list. Below is a link that has
this "tone" plus the verbal message. You DO NOT need the verbal
message. Download or copy the "DISCONNECTED" MP3 or WAV file to your
desktop. Create or change the greeting you have when someone calls
you and you're not available. At the VERY BEGINNING of your message
place the 3 tones (NOT THE VOICE MESSAGE) then continue with your
usual or normal greeting. The autodialer will hear the tones and
BINGO, your number will be removed since they think it's a
disconnected number. DONE. In a few weeks you will be removed from
all the lists. Of course you may have to explain the tones to the
callers you DO want to speak to but that's a small tradeoff. Pass
this info on to anyone you know that gets junk calls or even help post
this on these websites. GET RID OF JUNK / SPAM CALLS.

http://www.payphone-directory.org/sounds.html

Posted to alt.home.repair

This might be the sound. They are more like beeps than I remember,
but not quite. I guess I haven't gotten this for a long time.

About 3/4's of the time I misdial, I get a number not in service, so
it should be easy enough to do that on purpose and hear the current
tone.

http://www.payphone-directory.org/so...sconnected.wav
and in mp3
http://www.payphone-directory.org/mp...l/disconnected

Wow, here's the same thing from GTE. She sounds a lot cuter. I'm
going to try to switch my service to GTE.
http://www.payphone-directory.org/so...sconnected.wav
But the tones sound alike, so t hey must be agreed on.

Margaret writes

In 2012 btw, so maybe this all still works.

But I quoted her here.

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

One more thing

The phone company WILL let you block calls that don't provide a return
call number. I don't know if there's a charge for this or not, or if
you can turn it on and off yourself or not

There are loads of new options, that used to be listed in the front of
hte white pages, but in MD aren't anymore.

This is one of the features of the $100 thing I posted about, but you
don't need there machine to do it (of course if there's a monthly
charge from the phone company, but paying 100 will be a one-time
charge, it's probably worth it. It says

"How it works

The Digitone Call Blocker 10 comes from the factory preset to allow
all callers with a valid phone number displayed to ring through just
like normal. Block unwanted calls are Unknown, Unavailable, Out of
Area, Anonymous, Private or any name without a phone number and will
be hung up on. Also, the phones throughout your home or office will
continue to ring on Invited calls until the seventh ring, when the
call blocker will answer the call and hang up to prevent a caller from
tying up the line. Alternatively, if you miss your Invited caller,
your OWN, IF YOU HAVE ONE combo phone/answer machine or your phone
company's voice mail service will take a message for you. "

http://www.digitone.com/Digitone%20Call%20Blocker.htm
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote

Must I allow political calls on my phone, or is there some way to stop
them?

If the caller doesn't allow their number to be displayed with caller ID I
let it roll to voicemail. If the call comes from an area code that is out
of my area I let that go to voicemail, too. Cuts down on the annoyances.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

The problem is that they leave this **** on my answering machine, and
fill it up, thus I lose important calls. I rarely answer any phone.
Evne my cell is normally turned off unless I want to make a call. What
****es me off, is that the DNC still allows political calls. DO NOT
CALL should mean exactly what it says. Just because *some* people get
all hyped up over elections, does not mean all of us give a damn. As
far as I'm concerned, whoever gets elected is going to do that same
thing (Nothing).

I often wondered if the robo dialer was smart enough to hear a fax
machine and remove the number from the list.
Sending an unsolicited fax is a federal crime so I doubt they would do
that.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Do you have a modem on your computer ?
If yes, hook it up
Then install something called PhoneTray
http://www.phonetray.com/

There's even more sophisticated software out there that can do more.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren wrote:

The penalty for an unsolicited fax is a fine (up to $1500) only.
Jail time is not possible. Further, the judgment is levied by your
local Justice of the Peace.

Judgment is not a local event by a Justice of the Peace for a federal
crime. Wrong court of jurisdiction.

Nope.

47 U.S.C. Section 227

"(3) Private Right of Action. A person or entity may, if otherwise
permitted by the laws or rules of court of a State, bring in an appropriate
court of that State -
(A) an action based on a violation of this subsection or the regulations
prescribed under this subsection to enjoin such violation,
(B) an action to recover for actual monetary loss from such a violation,
or to receive $500 in damages for each such violation, whichever is greater,
or
(C) both such actions.

If the court finds that the defendant willfully or knowingly violated this
subsection or the regulations prescribed under this subsection, the court
may, in its discretion, increase the amount of the award to an amount equal
to not more than 3 times the amount available under subparagraph (B) of this
paragraph."

http://www.keytlaw.com/faxes/47usc227.htm

"Under the [Telephone Consumer Protection Act], recipients of unsolicited
fax advertisements can file suit in state court to collect the greater of
$500 or actual damages for each violation, and/or obtain an injunction (a
single junk fax can, and often does, contain multiple violations). If a
court determines that the violations were willful or knowing, the damages
can be tripled at the discretion of the court."
http://www.junkfaxes.org/federal_law.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 12 Sep 2012 08:44:35 -0500, "HeyBub"
wrote:

Oren wrote:

[...]

I understand using a state court. What I disagreed to was using a
Justice of the Peace.

A Justice of the Peace in some states have no legal training --
"non-lawyer". They have very limited jurisdiction with limited powers.

A state district court would have jurisdiction, as your links point
out.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren wrote:

[...]

A. A Justice of the Peace is a court. They can issue fines and, in some
cases, jail.

B. To get into a state district court, the amount at issue must exceed some
reasonable value. In my state it is $2000. (The amount must exceed $10,000
to bring a suit in a federal court.) Things may differ where you are; you
can always call the clerk of your local justice court and ask.

C. I've collected $750 in the Justice Court for unsolicited faxes (three
times at $250), plus reimbursement for filing fees.

But I haven't gotten an unsolicited fax in like forever. I think the
scum-suckers have a background information network.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/12/2012 9:44 AM, HeyBub wrote:

http://www.keytlaw.com/faxes/47usc227.htm

"Under the [Telephone Consumer Protection Act], recipients of unsolicited
fax advertisements can file suit in state court to collect the greater of
$500 or actual damages for each violation, and/or obtain an injunction (a
single junk fax can, and often does, contain multiple violations). If a
court determines that the violations were willful or knowing, the damages
can be tripled at the discretion of the court."
http://www.junkfaxes.org/federal_law.htm

What you say is true but trying to collect the $500 will be the most
difficult and frustrating money you've ever earned. Only a masochist
would even attempt it. ;-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 12 Sep 2012 20:51:21 -0400, "Norm A. Brams"
wrote:

On 9/12/2012 9:44 AM, HeyBub wrote:

http://www.keytlaw.com/faxes/47usc227.htm

"Under the [Telephone Consumer Protection Act], recipients of unsolicited
fax advertisements can file suit in state court to collect the greater of
$500 or actual damages for each violation, and/or obtain an injunction (a
single junk fax can, and often does, contain multiple violations). If a
court determines that the violations were willful or knowing, the damages
can be tripled at the discretion of the court."
http://www.junkfaxes.org/federal_law.htm

What you say is true but trying to collect the $500 will be the most
difficult and frustrating money you've ever earned. Only a masochist
would even attempt it. ;-)

10% of lawyers graduated at the bottom of their class.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 12 Sep 2012 07:16:07 -0500, "Atila Iskander"
wrote:

.. .

wrote:

[...]

Better hurry. Both producst are disappearing "on September 15", which
is 2 or 3 days from now.

But if you get them now

PhoneTray Dialup will be discontinued on September 15th, 2012.

You will not be able to purchase PhoneTray Dialup after this date and
new versions of PhoneTray Dialup will not be released.

Your purchased version of PhoneTray Dialup will continue to work
forever and we will continue to provide technical support to paid
customers. AND

You will not be able to download PhoneTray Free after this date and
new versions of PhoneTray Free will not be released.

Your installed version of PhoneTray Free will continue to work forever
but technical support will be provided only to customers who paid for
PhoneTray Free.

It sounds like I have to both dl and install PTFree for it to work

System Requirements:
Windows 98, Windows ME, Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows 2003,
Windows Vista or Windows 7
Caller ID capable modem
Caller ID service from your local phone company I don't have
that, but most people do. I was thinking of getting it, so I'll dl
t his thing, I'm sure they won't mind.

Also there
Additional Downloads
Voices for Windows XP and Windows 2003
Download additional announcer voices. Includes:
Microsoft Mary voice (English)
Microsoft Mike voice (English)

Direct Download (4 MB) | Alternative Download Link (4 MB)
Speech Engine for Windows 98, Windows ME and Windows 2000
Download this to get voice announcements on Windows 98, Windows ME and
Windows 2000. Includes:
Text-to-Speech Engine
Microsoft Mary voice (English)
Microsoft Mike voice (English)
Microsoft Sam voice (English)

There's even more sophisticated software out there that can do more.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

You can call a disconnected number and record the SIT tones "Special
Information Tones" that precede the voice announcement that the number
is disconnected or no longer in service. Record the SIT tones and use
them as the start of your answering machine message. Predictive dialer
systems will drop your number from their dialing database when
encountering SIT tones. ^_^

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special_information_tones

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Predictive_dialer

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

Norm A. Brams wrote:

What you say is true but trying to collect the $500 will be the most
difficult and frustrating money you've ever earned. Only a masochist
would even attempt it. ;-)

You may be correct in some places. Here's how mine worked.
1. I took the judgment around to the Constable's office and gave them a
modest fee (I think it was $25).
2. They sent a letter to the bums demanding payment.
3. In all three cases, this was enough. In the fullness of time I got a
check from the county for everything.

4. Had the defendant NOT responded properly, the constable's office (for
another small fee) would "levy and execute." That is, they would go to the
assholes place of business and seize sufficient of his property that, when
auctioned off, would be sufficient to cover the court's award.

The potential actions on #4 were spelled out quite emphatically in step #2
above.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"micky" wrote in message
On Wed, 12 Sep 2012 07:16:07 -0500, "Atila Iskander"
wrote:

. ..

wrote:

[...]

You only need PhoneTray free to block the calls

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote

The problem is that they leave this **** on my answering machine, and
fill it up, thus I lose important calls. I rarely answer any phone.

Answering machine? How quaint. Okay, you rarely answer your phone but yet
you're worried about losing "important calls".

Go away kid; you bother me...

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

So those tones are not just nationally standardized but
internationally.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Predictive_dialer

" The FCC requires that predictive dialers abandon less than 3% of
answered calls.[2]" I'm not sure that does me much good. My
complaint is not that when I answer they are not there, but that they
called me at all. (I'm currently geting calls about once a month
from 2 junk callers, who ignore the law. AFAIK I have no relationship
with them and I've told them to put me on the DNCall list)

http://transition.fcc.gov/cgb/policy...ting-Rules.pdf

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

When a telemarketer calls and I feel like amusing myself, I'll answer as
a brain damaged immigrant from some indeterminate country and talk
bizarre nonsense until they finally hangup, it can be fun. ^_^

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in message

When a telemarketer calls and I feel like amusing myself, I'll answer as
a brain damaged immigrant from some indeterminate country and talk
bizarre nonsense until they finally hangup, it can be fun. ^_^

In other words, you just act natural. (-:

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

When a telemarketer calls and I feel like amusing myself, I'll answer as
a brain damaged immigrant from some indeterminate country and talk
bizarre nonsense until they finally hangup, it can be fun. ^_^

In other words, you just act natural. (-:

--
Bobby G.

I naturally torment pests. ^_^

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

When a telemarketer calls and I feel like amusing myself, I'll answer

as
a brain damaged immigrant from some indeterminate country and talk
bizarre nonsense until they finally hangup, it can be fun. ^_^

In other words, you just act natural. (-:

--
Bobby G.

I naturally torment pests. ^_^

So, you're a self-abuser, too? (-:

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

When a telemarketer calls and I feel like amusing myself, I'll answer

as
a brain damaged immigrant from some indeterminate country and talk
bizarre nonsense until they finally hangup, it can be fun. ^_^

In other words, you just act natural. (-:

--
Bobby G.

I naturally torment pests. ^_^

So, you're a self-abuser, too? (-:

--
Bobby G.

I grew out of that, besides, the Irish nuns told me it was a sin. ^_^

TDD