Posted to alt.home.repair

Default (OT) Must I allow political calls on my phone?

On 9/11/2012 11:47 PM, micky wrote:
On Tue, 11 Sep 2012 17:34:08 -0400, wrote:

On Tue, 11 Sep 2012 11:44:03 -0500,
wrote:

My landline phone is on the "Do Not Call" (DNC) list. That has stopped
most of the phone spam. However, I know that the DNC list does not
block political calls. With election time getting close, I'm getting
more of these. I dont want them. Particularly those that want my
opinion about candidates. This annoys me to no end.

1. I hate politics, and want no part of any of it. It's bad enough
seeing all the TV commercials that make every candidate look bad. I
wont vote for any *major party* candidate for any reason.

2. My choice of candidate is no one's business except my own, and I
refuse to tell anyone other than family members who I choose.

3. They are flooding my answering machine with this garbage, which is
causing me to lose important calls when the machine gets filled.

My phone is PRIVATE, and I dont want *anyone* calling it except persons
to whom I give my phone number.

Must I allow political calls on my phone, or is there some way to stop
them?

Until I do find a way to stop them, I will continue to be as rude and
nasty as I can to those who do call. Doing that just makes me hope they
get the message that I dont want them calling me.

Let the phone ring. Most robo callers hang up by the 4th ring. By the
second ring my caller ID on the TV has identified them anyway.
Sometimes I just pick up and hang up.

I often wondered if the robo dialer was smart enough to hear a fax
machine and remove the number from the list.

Before the do not call list, there was a tone you could record on your
phone machine that I believe told the robocall computer to erase you.
First they sold this tone, but then it appeared on the web, and I was
going to put it on my phone machine but the DNC list appeared.

You can call a disconnected number and record the SIT tones "Special
Information Tones" that precede the voice announcement that the number
is disconnected or no longer in service. Record the SIT tones and use
them as the start of your answering machine message. Predictive dialer
systems will drop your number from their dialing database when
encountering SIT tones. ^_^

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special_information_tones

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Predictive_dialer

TDD