Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default (OT) Must I allow political calls on my phone?

On Tue, 11 Sep 2012 11:44:03 -0500, wrote:

My landline phone is on the "Do Not Call" (DNC) list. That has stopped
most of the phone spam. However, I know that the DNC list does not
block political calls.

Right. Political speech is traditionally considered one of the most
protected, and even though blocking the calls would not be a violation
of the first amendment, since they can say whatever they want
somewhere else

I haven't got time to read this right now, It's 100 dollars but seems
to do several things.
http://www.digitone.com/Digitone%20Call%20Blocker.htm

This is what I referred to in another post
It wasn't a fax tone. It was the squeal that it makes when you call a
disconnected number. If this does't work, you can probably call a
disconnected number and record the tone. Put the tone at the start
of your phone machine's message. People may wonder what it is but at
least the second time your friend's call they[ll wait on the line past
the tone.

http://www.payphone-directory.org/sounds.html

Margaret writes

Here's the answer to all our prayers. Telemarketers almost
exclusively use "autodialers" to make their calls. One out of a
thousand will have live reps doing the dialing. When these dialers
connect (you answer the phone) they listen for any "tones" generated.
If no "tones" are detected they then transfer the call to one of the
reps in a call center. "IF" the autodialer hears the 3 beeps from

-- I wouldn't call them beeps. I think they were like oooeeeooo.
And I don't know which sound on that page is the one you want, because
I'm too in a hurry to read them all. Let us know which is the right
one. --

dialing a "DISCONNECTED" number, the number that was just dialed is
automatically "REMOVED" from their list. Below is a link that has
this "tone" plus the verbal message. You DO NOT need the verbal
message. Download or copy the "DISCONNECTED" MP3 or WAV file to your
desktop. Create or change the greeting you have when someone calls
you and you're not available. At the VERY BEGINNING of your message
place the 3 tones (NOT THE VOICE MESSAGE) then continue with your
usual or normal greeting. The autodialer will hear the tones and
BINGO, your number will be removed since they think it's a
disconnected number. DONE. In a few weeks you will be removed from
all the lists. Of course you may have to explain the tones to the
callers you DO want to speak to but that's a small tradeoff. Pass
this info on to anyone you know that gets junk calls or even help post
this on these websites. GET RID OF JUNK / SPAM CALLS.

http://www.payphone-directory.org/sounds.html