Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT Harassing calls

Years ago I put my name on the national no call list. After reporting
Card Holder Services to the National Do Not Call Registry web site
many times, I bought a phone that blocks phone numbers. The phone
still rings once, but then reports "caller blocked"

Card Holder Services still call from different numbers. I have even
asked several of the callers who I could sleep with to keep them from
calling. (I may have phrased it a little differently) They still
call. I have asked to speak to the supervisor and they hang up.

Anyone think this would work?
http://lemberglaw.com/debt-collectio...FQP0nAodPyYAcQ
Posted to alt.home.repair

Metspitzer wrote in news:17el189bh0ost43s6nfrrtnb21l9joagvf@
4ax.com:

Years ago I put my name on the national no call list. After reporting
Card Holder Services to the National Do Not Call Registry web site
many times, I bought a phone that blocks phone numbers. The phone
still rings once, but then reports "caller blocked"

Card Holder Services still call from different numbers. I have even
asked several of the callers who I could sleep with to keep them from
calling. (I may have phrased it a little differently) They still
call. I have asked to speak to the supervisor and they hang up.

There's not really much you can do about it -- the calls are coming from overseas via VOIP,
with spoofed caller ID. These clowns are almost certainly outside the reach of U.S. law.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/2/2012 12:39 PM, Metspitzer wrote:
Years ago I put my name on the national no call list. After reporting
Card Holder Services to the National Do Not Call Registry web site
many times, I bought a phone that blocks phone numbers. The phone
still rings once, but then reports "caller blocked"

Card Holder Services still call from different numbers. I have even
asked several of the callers who I could sleep with to keep them from
calling. (I may have phrased it a little differently) They still
call. I have asked to speak to the supervisor and they hang up.

Anyone think this would work?
http://lemberglaw.com/debt-collectio...FQP0nAodPyYAcQ

These people are running a phishing scam where they convince you they
can get you a lower interest rate on your credit card, and then ask
you for your financial information to set it up. Since they're crooks,
no, you really can't expect to get their cooperation, and you can't
expect them to pay any attention to your complaints. Sadly, they find
some victims among the financially desperate, the gullible, and the
elderly, who tend to be much more trusting than younger generations.

According to a friend of mine whose husband has been investigating
them, part of the problem is that as their boiler room employees learn
how to run the scam, they go off and start up the same business
themselves. That's one of the reasons for all the different phone
numbers. Plus the fact that they're boiler room operations, meaning
they shut down and start up again using different numbers whenever the
law starts to catch up with them.

She said something else they'll do, if you keep asking them for
information about themselves, is to give you the names and phone
numbers of legitimate credit card companies and banks. Gullible people
are taken in by that; suspicious people will hang up and call those
companies/phone numbers, only to find out they have nothing to do with
the scam.

Since there's no such thing as content-based killfiles to catch phone
spam, the best you can do is hang up as soon as you hear 'Cardholder
Services'.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Metspitzer Kilowatt charter.net wrote:

Years ago I put my name on the national no call list. After
reporting Card Holder Services to the National Do Not Call
Registry web site many times, I bought a phone that blocks phone
numbers. The phone still rings once, but then reports "caller
blocked"

I get the same useless feeling about the Do Not Call List.
I don't believe the claim that nothing can be done about it.
Where there's a will, there is a way.

So I do the same, I just add the number to a contact that has a
quiet ring tone. It works okay. Easier than filing a "complaint"
for nothing.

--

Card Holder Services still call from different numbers. I have
even asked several of the callers who I could sleep with to keep
them from calling. (I may have phrased it a little differently)
They still call. I have asked to speak to the supervisor and
they hang up.

Anyone think this would work?
http://lemberglaw.com/debt-collectio...5.php?gclid=CJ
774627ybECFQP0nAodPyYAcQ

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Hell Toupee" wrote in message
[...]

There is software that will use a modem to monitor your phone line
You can enter numbers that are allowed to pass through and numbers that are
blocked
The modem will intercept and block those numbers on the black list

Posted to alt.home.repair
tom tom is offline

"Metspitzer" wrote in message
Years ago I put my name on the national no call list. After reporting
Card Holder Services to the National Do Not Call Registry web site
many times, I bought a phone that blocks phone numbers. The phone
still rings once, but then reports "caller blocked"

Card Holder Services still call from different numbers. I have even
asked several of the callers who I could sleep with to keep them from
calling. (I may have phrased it a little differently) They still
call. I have asked to speak to the supervisor and they hang up.

I've found this seems to discourage repeat offenders.

http://www.walmart.com/search/search...anned+air+horn

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 2 Aug 2012 14:04:24 -0500, "Atila Iskander"
wrote:

[...]

I haven't had a modem in a computer for many years, but I still have a
drawer full of them. If I could find software that would block what
was on the caller ID I would use it.
Not always, but even from new numbers the caller ID says Card Holder's
Services.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I used a police whistle on a caller, about 10 times in a row. She called
back the next day. Left a message on my machine, suggesting I get psych
help.

I was tempted to call back, and suggest she learn what a rape whistle is.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"tom" wrote in message ...

I've found this seems to discourage repeat offenders.

http://www.walmart.com/search/search...anned+air+horn

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 02 Aug 2012 13:39:53 -0400, Metspitzer

Do not answer the calls. Simple enough, right?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"tom" wrote in :

I've found this seems to discourage repeat offenders.

http://www.walmart.com/search/search...anned+air+horn

How effective is it against recorded messages?

Posted to alt.home.repair
tom tom is offline

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
. ..
"tom" wrote in :

I've found this seems to discourage repeat offenders.

http://www.walmart.com/search/search...anned+air+horn

How effective is it against recorded messages?

1st line of defense: http://www.phonetray.com/phonetrayfree.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

"tom" wrote in :

I've found this seems to discourage repeat offenders.

http://www.walmart.com/search/search...anned+air+horn

How effective is it against recorded messages?

1st line of defense: http://www.phonetray.com/phonetrayfree.htm

I may have to break out a modem for this.
Thanks
Posted to alt.home.repair

"tom" wrote in :

I've found this seems to discourage repeat offenders.

http://www.walmart.com/search/search...anned+air+horn

How effective is it against recorded messages?

1st line of defense: http://www.phonetray.com/phonetrayfree.htm

I had 6 modems laying around. I can't see very well, but it was
pretty easy to guess which was the most modern.

http://i.imgur.com/Cnxgw.jpg
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Do not answer the calls. Simple enough, right?

Don't have a land line.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Do not answer the calls. Simple enough, right?

Don't have a land line.

If I did that I wouldn't know when there is an election year.

sigh

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Metspitzer" wrote in message
Years ago I put my name on the national no call list. After reporting
Card Holder Services to the National Do Not Call Registry web site
many times, I bought a phone that blocks phone numbers. The phone
still rings once, but then reports "caller blocked"

Card Holder Services still call from different numbers. I have even
asked several of the callers who I could sleep with to keep them from
calling. (I may have phrased it a little differently) They still
call. I have asked to speak to the supervisor and they hang up.

Anyone think this would work?
http://lemberglaw.com/debt-collectio...FQP0nAodPyYAcQ

Google "Tom Mabe" telemarketer call. It is hilarious. The one he does
about the cemetery plots is a little dark, but funny, too. Whenever I get
telemarketers, which is rare for some reason, I will take great sport at
having fun with them, and taking as much time out of their day as I can.
Time is their most important asset, and when you can waste a lot of it, they
generally don't call you back.

Get creative, and let your little Chuckie run amok, of course, always
staying within boundaries of law and good taste. I can't think of when I
got my last telemarketing call, but my wife gets them constantly. Don't
know what the difference is.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Do not answer the calls. Simple enough, right?

Don't have a land line.

If I did that I wouldn't know when there is an election year.

www.drudgereport.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/2/2012 3:04 PM, Atila Iskander wrote:

[...]

Most VoIP services can have blacklist or whitelist but the problem is
they are using bogus numbers so you don't know what the next number they
will sending when they call will be.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Years ago I put my name on the national no call list. After reporting
Card Holder Services to the National Do Not Call Registry web site
many times, I bought a phone that blocks phone numbers. The phone
still rings once, but then reports "caller blocked"

Card Holder Services still call from different numbers. I have even
asked several of the callers who I could sleep with to keep them from
calling. (I may have phrased it a little differently) They still
call. I have asked to speak to the supervisor and they hang up.

Anyone think this would work?
http://lemberglaw.com/debt-collectio...FQP0nAodPyYAcQ

This guy managed to keep them on the phone for 4 min. I don't think I
could pull that off. I may give that a try.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r37QzZuq8xY
Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

"George" wrote in message
[...]

I have had my call display show my own phone number, indicating that I am
calling myself with my own phone. Sometimes the number displayed is
123-456-7890, or many other numbers that they dream up.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 02 Aug 2012 18:14:13 -0400, Metspitzer
wrote:

This guy managed to keep them on the phone for 4 min. I don't think I
could pull that off. I may give that a try.

Tom Mabe:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAb8vGSRBoE
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Years ago I put my name on the national no call list. After reporting
Card Holder Services to the National Do Not Call Registry web site
many times, I bought a phone that blocks phone numbers. The phone
still rings once, but then reports "caller blocked"

Card Holder Services still call from different numbers. I have even
asked several of the callers who I could sleep with to keep them from
calling. (I may have phrased it a little differently) They still
call. I have asked to speak to the supervisor and they hang up.

Anyone think this would work?
http://lemberglaw.com/debt-collectio...FQP0nAodPyYAcQ

This guy managed to keep them on the phone for 4 min. I don't think I
could pull that off. I may give that a try.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r37QzZuq8xY

I always hit the number to bring on a live operator then put the phone
down until they leave. This costs them as they have to pay a live
person. If everybody did it, it would not be profitable for them as I'm
sure the response rate that brings them business is not high enough to
sustain such loss. I knew a realtor that used to call 20 people each
morning. For the business he got, he figured it was worth $5/call.

I used to talk to them and string them out but this wastes my time.

Initial question on a lawyer would do nothing. It is for the harassing
calls which are illegal even if you owe them.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Do not answer the calls. Simple enough, right?
--

I have been getting a bunch of calls lately. Some months ago, I got calls
from politicians, and some things I belong to. I usually let the a

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 02 Aug 2012 13:34:04 -0500, Hell Toupee
wrote:

These people are running a phishing scam where they convince you they
can get you a lower interest rate on your credit card, and then ask
you for your financial information to set it up. Since they're crooks,
no, you really can't expect to get their cooperation, and you can't
expect them to pay any attention to your complaints. Sadly, they find
some victims among the financially desperate, the gullible, and the
elderly, who tend to be much more trusting than younger generations.

I had a call last night. Rather than hang up, I pressed 1 to talk to a
friendly customer service person. I had her believing I had about
$60,000 in debt and my interest rates varied from 22% to 32%. She
assured me she could get single digit rates.

When I told her I could not verify the card numbers, she hung up on
me.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Yow, that's not polite of her.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message

I had a call last night. Rather than hang up, I pressed 1 to talk to a
friendly customer service person. I had her believing I had about
$60,000 in debt and my interest rates varied from 22% to 32%. She
assured me she could get single digit rates.

When I told her I could not verify the card numbers, she hung up on
me.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Metspitzer wrote:
Years ago I put my name on the national no call list. After reporting
Card Holder Services to the National Do Not Call Registry web site
many times, I bought a phone that blocks phone numbers. The phone
still rings once, but then reports "caller blocked"

Card Holder Services still call from different numbers. I have even
asked several of the callers who I could sleep with to keep them from
calling. (I may have phrased it a little differently) They still
call. I have asked to speak to the supervisor and they hang up.

Anyone think this would work?
http://lemberglaw.com/debt-collectio...FQP0nAodPyYAcQ

I sometimes get 6 of those calls a day. Probably average at least 1 a day.
Really annoying.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"tom" wrote in :

I've found this seems to discourage repeat offenders.

http://www.walmart.com/search/search...anned+air+horn

How effective is it against recorded messages?

1st line of defense: http://www.phonetray.com/phonetrayfree.htm

The phonetray manual is misleading. The manual shows phonetray free
with blocking options. I just downloaded the software and it seems
to be only a caller ID reporter. No blocking options.

You may have to receive a phone call to make those options show up,
but where the blocking options should be I get a link to get the "Pro"
version.

And..........it looks like Phonetray Pro is not yet ready.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 02 Aug 2012 23:36:40 -0400, Metspitzer
wrote:

On Thu, 2 Aug 2012 15:32:49 -0500, "tom" wrote:

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
0...
"tom" wrote in :

I've found this seems to discourage repeat offenders.

http://www.walmart.com/search/search...anned+air+horn

How effective is it against recorded messages?

1st line of defense: http://www.phonetray.com/phonetrayfree.htm

The phonetray manual is misleading. The manual shows phonetray free
with blocking options. I just downloaded the software and it seems
to be only a caller ID reporter. No blocking options.

You may have to receive a phone call to make those options show up,
but where the blocking options should be I get a link to get the "Pro"
version.

And..........it looks like Phonetray Pro is not yet ready.

I figured how to enable the block..............never mind.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

One that I recall was CallAlert
Did a fast Google and found this
http://www.freedownloadscenter.com/Utilities/Misc__Utilities/Phone_Calls_Filter.html
But I know that there was freeware out there as well.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Metspitzer wrote:
Years ago I put my name on the national no call list. After reporting
Card Holder Services to the National Do Not Call Registry web site
many times, I bought a phone that blocks phone numbers. The phone
still rings once, but then reports "caller blocked"

Card Holder Services still call from different numbers. I have even
asked several of the callers who I could sleep with to keep them from
calling. (I may have phrased it a little differently) They still
call. I have asked to speak to the supervisor and they hang up.

Anyone think this would work?
http://lemberglaw.com/debt-collectio...FQP0nAodPyYAcQ

I see your URL and raise you
http://onthespotblog.com/the-hunt-fo...lder-services/

I read recently that the Feds have started looking into these scammers
again. But as indicated by the blog, the Feds are too toothless and
impotent to do anything to stop it. Feds move at a extremely glacial
pace. And I don't mean that they're outmaneuvered by nimble scammers
who exploit VOIP relocate their boiler rooms everyday. I mean the Feds
take years and years and years and years to take any action and the
result of all their hard work is a laughably trivial fine a promise by
professional liars to be good boys and girls.

I still see people fixating on the numbers they see on caller-ID.
When it comes to email spam, people have generally wised up and realize
that who the email says it's from is complete bull****. I wonder why
people won't do the same for these cardmemeberservices scammers.

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Since this is a scam os the sort you described, the OP should contact
their state attorney general and file a complaint. The FBI also has on
their web page where complaints can be filed online. They ask
categories before giving you the proper complaint form, for example, is
this an online scam? Is it on the phone, or snail mail, or an actual
brick and mortar business, etc....

It's good to post this stuff on a newsgroup so that others know, but if
people really want to stop these scams, they need to report these
scammers to the officials. If the OP is on the DNC (do not call) list,
and got calls, go to the DNC website and file a complaint against Card
Holder Services. The fine is up to $700 per call that they make.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

When I told her I could not verify the card numbers, she hung up on
me.

I actually had one going so much that she called me back and called me
an ass on my voice mail. This particular rocket scientist was from an
area business and they were actually using their real phone number. So,
I was able to get the little darlin' fired BEFORE I sent the AG to their
door.
Probably the most personally fulfilling time I had had with a
marketer.
the *******s."-- Claire Wolfe
Posted to alt.home.repair

PhoneTray Free can filter phone calls based on a blacklist of callerid
phone numbers using a "voice modem". You can set it up to use different
WAV files of your choice for each caller.
You can also block all phone calls for "quiet time".
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 3 Aug 2012 01:57:53 +0000 (UTC), gregz
wrote:

I get caller I'd
on tv, but some are getting through with name unavailable, which I may have
to make sure that feature is enabled to block those calls.

We just got this feature with a new service change. Last night a call
showed up on the TV. The number was all zeros.
Posted to alt.home.repair

It's good to post this stuff on a newsgroup so that others know, but if
people really want to stop these scams, they need to report these
scammers to the officials. If the OP is on the DNC (do not call) list,
and got calls, go to the DNC website and file a complaint against Card
Holder Services. The fine is up to $700 per call that they make.

Calling the state AG does little good. Here is what the Ohio AG sent me back
about the one that calls herself Rachael.

The Ohio Attorney General's Office is in receipt of the complaint you
recently filed regarding unsolicited telephone calls. Specifically, you
filed your complaint about unsolicited telephone calls you have been
receiving from representatives of card holder services and/ or card member
services. Unfortunately, you do not know much information about the callers
other than a few names and/ or the telephone numbers reported on your Caller
ID display. You would like these calls to stop.

The Ohio Attorney General's Consumer Protection Section is charged with
enforcing Ohio's consumer protection laws on behalf of our state in its
entirety. Telemarketing and sweepstakes fraud and other scams are a
persistent problem in not only the State of Ohio, but the entire United
States. It has been our experience that individuals who experience these
fraudulent activities are often contacted again by fraudsters. We understand
your frustration regarding these nuisance calls, but unfortunately our
office will not be able to directly assist you in stopping these calls.

While the federal do not call registry (http://www.donotcall.gov/,
888-382-1222) is oftentimes useful in stopping unwanted telemarketing calls,
it is important to recognize that this registry is only effective when
companies check their calling lists against the registry, and only
law-abiding companies will do that. Consequently, the do not call registry
is not effective in stopping unwanted calls from fraudsters.

When fraudulent callers use public telephone lines to make calls, Caller ID
can positively identify the call. Unfortunately, today's technology with
cell phones and internet telephones, callers can disguise their identity in
an effort to defraud or harass consumers. Obviously, when callers are scam
artists preying on unwary consumers in an effort to harass them and/ or take
their money the state and federal do not call laws will not stop these
fraudulent and deceptive business practices. However, complaints such as
yours are the source of much of our information and are often an indication
of a problem that may warrant investigation. Pursuant to Ohio Revised Code
Section 1345.05(A)(7), once the Ohio Attorney General's Office opens an
investigation against a particular business, the investigation and the facts
developed under that investigation are not public record, so the Ohio
Attorney General's Office cannot confirm whether or not a business is under
investigation, or one of our potential litigation targets. Investigations
will not become public until the Ohio Attorney General's Office takes legal
action against that business.

The information you have provided has been recorded in our complaint
retention system. Thank you for taking the time to write to our office with
your concerns, as the information identified in complaints from consumers
like you is invaluable to our office.

We regret that we cannot assist you in stopping these calls, but we hope
that the information contained in this letter has better explained the role
of the Ohio Attorney General's Consumer Protection Section.

Respectfully,

MIKE DEWINE
Attorney General of Ohio

Posted to alt.home.repair

"tom" wrote in :

I've found this seems to discourage repeat offenders.

http://www.walmart.com/search/search...anned+air+horn

How effective is it against recorded messages?

1st line of defense: http://www.phonetray.com/phonetrayfree.htm

I hope this works. There were two calls from them already stored on
the caller ID. Since I have my main phone set up to block these two
numbers I didn't bother to enter the number into the software. I did
enter the name from the caller ID. It is supposed to automatically
play a "not in service" recording. We will have to just wait and see
if it works. Now I am looking forward to their next call.

http://imgur.com/5ZKj3

From reading a little more about Cardholders Services on the web, a
"not in service" message may get the number taken off the list. One
can only hope.

Thanks

BTW the default setting for phonetray is to play a recording for "toll
free" I actually get important calls from two places that report
"toll free" on the caller ID. I changed that default setting to
accept calls from "toll free"
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 3 Aug 2012 11:11:11 -0400, "Roanin"
wrote:

We regret that we cannot assist you in stopping these calls, but we hope
that the information contained in this letter has better explained the role
of the Ohio Attorney General's Consumer Protection Section.

Respectfully,

MIKE DEWINE
Attorney General of Ohio

I furnished my name and email to the National Do Not Call Registry at
least once a week for months listing the new numbers they use and the
times they called.

If the National Do Not Call Registry can't do anything about the
calls, it would be nice to get an email saying.........we feel your
pain, instead of just letting people file complaint after complaint.

If anyone out there, and I know there are, get these calls, just hang
up. You can't win.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

We regret that we cannot assist you in stopping these calls, but we
hope that the information contained in this letter has better
explained the role of the Ohio Attorney General's Consumer
Protection Section.

Respectfully,

MIKE DEWINE
Attorney General of Ohio

I furnished my name and email to the National Do Not Call Registry at
least once a week for months listing the new numbers they use and the
times they called.

If the National Do Not Call Registry can't do anything about the
calls, it would be nice to get an email saying.........we feel your
pain, instead of just letting people file complaint after complaint.

If anyone out there, and I know there are, get these calls, just hang
up. You can't win.

An elderly person I know has a feature from the phone company that picks up each
call, telling the caller something like "this number does not accept
solicitation calls. If you are a solicitor, hang up now. Otherwise, hit 1 to
connect". The phone in her home does not ring until that key is hit.

Anyone have a way to do this with a modem?

Posted to alt.home.repair
tom tom is offline

"Metspitzer" wrote in message

1st line of defense: http://www.phonetray.com/phonetrayfree.htm

I hope this works. There were two calls from them already stored on
the caller ID. Since I have my main phone set up to block these two
numbers I didn't bother to enter the number into the software. I did
enter the name from the caller ID. It is supposed to automatically
play a "not in service" recording. We will have to just wait and see
if it works. Now I am looking forward to their next call.

In all honesty I use the program below. I got the license key from a friend
who purchased it. I mentioned PT because I've always thought PT seemed as
good or better, and is free, but I've never switched over to it.

http://www.beiley.com/acallerid/index.html

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 03 Aug 2012 22:09:58 GMT, FlavorFlav wrote:

The spammers are now calling my cell phone. There was no instruction on
the phone how to block calls. I finally found that if I put the callers
into a group I don't use (school), then I block the entire school group.
My phone never rings from them. They rarely leave a VM. Of course I have
to wait for the spammers to first call so I can get their phone numbers.
They are in the contact list as Z unk1, Z unk 2....and so forth. So far I
have 11 of them.

The problem with blacklisting is that you have to do it for each number. SWMBO
as problems with SMS spam. She can log onto our Verizon account and block the
number (only lasts three months, or something) but there is no way to opt out
of all SMS service. We don't like paying the $.10 per spam but there is no
way to block it.