Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT - The harassing calls

I know someone who's getting harassing calls and emails. The angry, mentally
unstable harasser says "I'll call the police and have you arrested". Even
though, there's no crime committed (by the victim). The calls are getting a
bit tiring.

I'm thinking there's got to be some way to divert this unstable person's
attention. Give him something more interesting to do. Judo move, back away
and let the attacker hurt himself.

With the collective wisdom of this group, there has to be some creative
answer. I thought of sending the angry harasser an email from a disposable
account (Hotmail?) and provoke the person. Tempt him to make some angry
phone calls (to the number in the signature box?). Number of what? Flower
shop? Fire department? Gay bar?

Need some ideas, folks.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
I know someone who's getting harassing calls and emails. The angry,
mentally unstable harasser says "I'll call the police and have you
arrested". Even though, there's no crime committed (by the victim).
The calls are getting a bit tiring.

I'm thinking there's got to be some way to divert this unstable
person's attention. Give him something more interesting to do. Judo
move, back away and let the attacker hurt himself.

With the collective wisdom of this group, there has to be some
creative answer. I thought of sending the angry harasser an email
from a disposable account (Hotmail?) and provoke the person. Tempt
him to make some angry phone calls (to the number in the signature
box?). Number of what? Flower shop? Fire department? Gay bar?

Need some ideas, folks.

File a police report. Notify the phone company to log the calling #, record the
call, and let the police persue it?

Talk to the phone company and police for the right way to do it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

FBI office in a neighboring state.
Homeland Security tip line.
U-Verse support.
Posted to alt.home.repair

*57 will log even caller ID blocked calls for the phone company to
proscuete.

Most modern phones have the ability to block incoming calls by number
or all those lacking caller ID info.

why is the caller upset?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/10/2011 10:25 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
I know someone who's getting harassing calls and emails. The angry, mentally
unstable harasser says "I'll call the police and have you arrested". Even
though, there's no crime committed (by the victim). The calls are getting a
bit tiring.

I'm thinking there's got to be some way to divert this unstable person's
attention. Give him something more interesting to do. Judo move, back away
and let the attacker hurt himself.

With the collective wisdom of this group, there has to be some creative
answer. I thought of sending the angry harasser an email from a disposable
account (Hotmail?) and provoke the person. Tempt him to make some angry
phone calls (to the number in the signature box?). Number of what? Flower
shop? Fire department? Gay bar?

Need some ideas, folks.

The caller could be dangerous, so doing anything "in return" is stupid.
I'd start with the phone co. to block the calls. Police should be
informed.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I'm thinking there's got to be some way to divert this unstable person's
attention. Give him something more interesting to do. Judo move, back
away
and let the attacker hurt himself.
Need some ideas, folks.

Phone company to get proof of the calls and then the police for prosecution.
Anything else will get the "victim" sent to jail.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
I know someone who's getting harassing calls and emails. The angry,
mentally
unstable harasser says "I'll call the police and have you arrested". Even
though, there's no crime committed (by the victim). The calls are getting
bit tiring.

I'm thinking there's got to be some way to divert this unstable person's
attention. Give him something more interesting to do. Judo move, back away
and let the attacker hurt himself.

With the collective wisdom of this group, there has to be some creative
answer. I thought of sending the angry harasser an email from a disposable
account (Hotmail?) and provoke the person. Tempt him to make some angry
phone calls (to the number in the signature box?). Number of what? Flower
shop? Fire department? Gay bar?

Need some ideas, folks.

I agree with the others about police involvement. If the victim has nothing
to hide, let the police handle it.

On a side note, when the harasser calls again, keep a nice loud airhorn next
to the phone and put it to the mouthpiece when he calls. His ears will be
ringing for a long time after that.

Posted to alt.home.repair

No one really knows. The caller has aparently done this to others, also.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"bob haller" wrote in message
*57 will log even caller ID blocked calls for the phone company to
proscuete.

Most modern phones have the ability to block incoming calls by number
or all those lacking caller ID info.

why is the caller upset?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Sounds reasonable, actually. Thanks.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Norminn" wrote in message

The caller could be dangerous, so doing anything "in return" is stupid.
I'd start with the phone co. to block the calls. Police should be
informed.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Sounds like a wise and thoughtful idea. Thank you.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"h" wrote in message

I'm thinking there's got to be some way to divert this unstable person's
attention. Give him something more interesting to do. Judo move, back
away
and let the attacker hurt himself.
Need some ideas, folks.

Phone company to get proof of the calls and then the police for prosecution.
Anything else will get the "victim" sent to jail.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/10/2011 10:25 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
I know someone who's getting harassing calls and emails. The angry, mentally
unstable harasser says "I'll call the police and have you arrested". Even
though, there's no crime committed (by the victim). The calls are getting a
bit tiring.

I'm thinking there's got to be some way to divert this unstable person's
attention. Give him something more interesting to do. Judo move, back away
and let the attacker hurt himself.

With the collective wisdom of this group, there has to be some creative
answer. I thought of sending the angry harasser an email from a disposable
account (Hotmail?) and provoke the person. Tempt him to make some angry
phone calls (to the number in the signature box?). Number of what? Flower
shop? Fire department? Gay bar?

Need some ideas, folks.

I've put on call block a few times. With Verizon, here, it costs an
extra $5 per month and you can block up to 10 numbers. Had to do it to
an annoying neighbor last summer but she was not threatening. Removed
it in the fall and she has not called since. Guess she found others to
annoy.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 11 Dec 2011 08:38:20 -0500, Frank
wrote:

-snip-

I've put on call block a few times. With Verizon, here, it costs an
extra $5 per month and you can block up to 10 numbers.

My $50[?]-for-4-handsets phones can block numbers. [10?-20?]

It works nicely for the idiotic sales-droids who don't notice that I'm
on all the do-not-call lists. By the time I'm up to the limit
they've probably already gotten a new number.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/11/2011 9:06 AM, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
On Sun, 11 Dec 2011 08:38:20 -0500, Frank
wrote:

-snip-

I've put on call block a few times. With Verizon, here, it costs an
extra $5 per month and you can block up to 10 numbers.

My $50[?]-for-4-handsets phones can block numbers. [10?-20?]

It works nicely for the idiotic sales-droids who don't notice that I'm
on all the do-not-call lists. By the time I'm up to the limit
they've probably already gotten a new number.

Jim

Don't even try to block these. They just flaunt the law and do
everything to get through. I've got 2 land lines but use one for
business and it goes to fax machine after 4 rings. I get more junk
faxes than real ones but some clients insist I still use a fax machine.

Also had problem with father suffering dementia in nursing home as
numbers would rotate and I just had to keep blocking a new one.
Hated to block my own father but he would call at all hours of the night
as he did not understand it that he might be calling at 2 am.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 11, 10:30*am, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
Hmmm. Didn't know about that option. I'll suggest that.

I did chat with a deputy Sherrif. Says that in NYS the harassment needs to
include threats of violence or harm, in order to qualify for police action.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Hmmm. Didn't know about that option. I'll suggest that.

I did chat with a deputy Sherrif. Says that in NYS the harassment needs to
include threats of violence or harm, in order to qualify for police action.
Just being irritating isn't enough.

I was assuming this was the case, which is why I didn't suggest
calling the Fuzz, but it was wise to give it a shot anyway...

Simple contact is enough to qualify for police action
if you get a restraining order. With evidence of email
and phone call harrassment I would think getting a
restraining order would not be difficult. Very likely the
loon would not even show up to defend against the
action.

Posted to alt.home.repair

*wrote:
Hmmm. Didn't know about that option. I'll suggest that.

I did chat with a deputy Sherrif. Says that in NYS the harassment needs to
include threats of violence or harm, in order to qualify for police action.
Just being irritating isn't enough.

I was assuming this was the case, which is why I didn't suggest
calling the Fuzz, but it was wise to give it a shot anyway...

Simple contact is enough to qualify for police action
if you get a restraining order. * With evidence of email
and phone call harrassment I would think getting a
restraining order would not be difficult. *Very likely the
loon would not even show up to defend against the
action.

I sure don't know about your jurisdiction, but they have sure quit just
handing out VPO's here. *They require evidence in writing, recordings,
photos, and/or multiple verifiable eye witnesses before they will even
consider court action. *The pendulum has apparently swung away from just
handing them out on an individual's statement.

Never suggested that courts just hand out restraining
orders anywhere. I suggested the person make sure to
save the relevant harrassing emails and phone calls
to present as evidence to the police or to get a restraining
order.

Also, this apparently is not a case of a husband/wife,
boyfriend girlfriend, or
similar, where there may be complex issues involved. From
what has been presented, it's a case of some unstable
person harrassing someone with whom they have no
reason to be in contact. I think in most jurisdictions if
you presented phone and email messages demonstrating
the harrassment, the restraining order would be issued.
The harrasser likely would not even show up to dispute
it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
I know someone who's getting harassing calls and emails. The angry,
mentally unstable harasser says "I'll call the police and have you
arrested". Even though, there's no crime committed (by the victim).
The calls are getting a bit tiring.

I'm thinking there's got to be some way to divert this unstable
person's attention. Give him something more interesting to do. Judo
move, back away and let the attacker hurt himself.

Is the harasser known to the victim?

If so, a visit to his home by you and a half-dozen of your friends may
educate him as to socially-acceptable behavior.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Hmmm. Didn't know about that option. I'll suggest that.

I did chat with a deputy Sherrif. Says that in NYS the harassment needs to
include threats of violence or harm, in order to qualify for police action.
Just being irritating isn't enough.

I was assuming this was the case, which is why I didn't suggest
calling the Fuzz, but it was wise to give it a shot anyway...

From The NYS Penal Law.

SEC. 240.30
Aggravated harassment in the second degree.

A person is guilty of aggravated harassment in the second degree when,
with intent to harass, annoy, threaten or alarm another person, he or she:
1. Communicates, or causes a communication to be initiated by mechanical
or electronic means or otherwise, with a person, anonymously or otherwise,
by telephone, or by telegraph, mail or any other form of written
communication, in a manner likely to cause annoyance or alarm; or
2. Makes a telephone call, whether or not a conversation ensues, with no
purpose of legitimate communication; or
3. Strikes, shoves, kicks, or otherwise subjects another person to
physical contact, or attempts or threatens to do the same because of the
race, color, religion or national origin of such person; or
4. Commits the crime of harassment in the first degree and has previously
been convicted of the crime of harassment in the first degree as defined
by section 240.25 of this article within the preceding ten years.
Aggravated harassment in the second degree is a class A misdemeanor.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Hmmm. Didn't know about that option. I'll suggest that.

I did chat with a deputy Sherrif. Says that in NYS the harassment needs to
include threats of violence or harm, in order to qualify for police action.
Just being irritating isn't enough.

I was assuming this was the case, which is why I didn't suggest
calling the Fuzz, but it was wise to give it a shot anyway...

*From The NYS Penal Law.

[...]

That's a very generous defintion. You think I could get
Obama arrested based on that? Section 1 would seem
to apply..... He regularly communicates via electronic
means and he sure annoys me.....

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 11 Dec 2011 11:54:17 -0600, "HeyBub"
wrote:

Stormin Mormon wrote:
I know someone who's getting harassing calls and emails. The angry,
mentally unstable harasser says "I'll call the police and have you
arrested". Even though, there's no crime committed (by the victim).
The calls are getting a bit tiring.

I'm thinking there's got to be some way to divert this unstable
person's attention. Give him something more interesting to do. Judo
move, back away and let the attacker hurt himself.

Is the harasser known to the victim?

If so, a visit to his home by you and a half-dozen of your friends may
educate him as to socially-acceptable behavior.

They better bring their guns.
The harasser has the right to defend himself.

--Vic
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/11/2011 12:54 PM, HeyBub wrote:
Stormin Mormon wrote:
I know someone who's getting harassing calls and emails. The angry,
mentally unstable harasser says "I'll call the police and have you
arrested". Even though, there's no crime committed (by the victim).
The calls are getting a bit tiring.

I'm thinking there's got to be some way to divert this unstable
person's attention. Give him something more interesting to do. Judo
move, back away and let the attacker hurt himself.

Is the harasser known to the victim?

If so, a visit to his home by you and a half-dozen of your friends may
educate him as to socially-acceptable behavior.

Good grief! Then all the party has to do is make up a story for the
police and the callee will be in jail/court....there is no good way to
"get back" at an out-of-control nutcase.

As for police, it very likely makes a difference whether the calls are
coming once a week or twenty times a day, whether daytime or late night,
etc. If the caller is known to the callee, add points. In early
stages, the phone co. might take it more seriously than the police...the
police like to see blood, or at least some bruises.

My IP has a set up to block emails; trouble is, the IP sends me an email
each time it blocks one! I definitely would not respond to them, other
than ONCE to tell them that the victim does not want any contact with
them. I have been through dealings with nut cases who are not afraid to
lie to police; trust me, it is difficult to defend one's self in those
situations, esp. when aggressor is a cop )
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Stormin Mormon" wrote:

I know someone who's getting harassing calls and emails. The angry, mentally
unstable harasser says "I'll call the police and have you arrested". Even
though, there's no crime committed (by the victim). The calls are getting a
bit tiring.

I'm thinking there's got to be some way to divert this unstable person's
attention. Give him something more interesting to do. Judo move, back away
and let the attacker hurt himself.

With the collective wisdom of this group, there has to be some creative
answer. I thought of sending the angry harasser an email from a disposable
account (Hotmail?) and provoke the person. Tempt him to make some angry
phone calls (to the number in the signature box?). Number of what? Flower
shop? Fire department? Gay bar?

Need some ideas, folks.

Just call the phone company and report the abuse. They handle it from there. You
could say there had been threats of violence...how could the caller prove they
weren't making them...and if future calls are recorded, it seems the caller
stopped making threats
Posted to alt.home.repair

Not known. That's a good idea. I figure the harasser will probably try his
behaviour on a biker gang, some time.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...

Is the harasser known to the victim?

If so, a visit to his home by you and a half-dozen of your friends may
educate him as to socially-acceptable behavior.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/11/2011 6:43 AM, bob haller wrote:
*57 will log even caller ID blocked calls for the phone company to
proscuete.

Most modern phones have the ability to block incoming calls by number
or all those lacking caller ID info.

why is the caller upset?

Some of us refuse to pay extra for caller ID, just like we refused to
pay extra for touch-tone back in the day. Ma Bell has a lot of balls
charging for a data stream that is in the switch anyway, and actually
costs them more to NOT provide to the end of the local loop. We also
decline to buy modern disposable phones.

--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 11, 8:25*am, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
No one really knows. The caller has aparently done this to others, also.

So... what did the others do...?
-----

- gpsman
Posted to alt.home.repair

Good question, and I don't know.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote:
No one really knows. The caller has aparently done this to others, also.

So... what did the others do...?
-----

- gpsman

Posted to alt.home.repair

m...
Stormin Mormon wrote:
[...]

Very true, but the "victim" needs to get SOMETHING filed with SOMEONE ASAP.
Sure, the cops are unlikely to do anything and the phone company can't do
much, but at least you need to start a paper trail. Nut jobs like this often
escalate and having proof of a complaint, even if the cops didn't do
anything other than file the paperwork, bolsters the victim's credibility in
the future. The victim also needs to document each and every unwanted call,
preferably recorded by voicemail or machine, as well as any response to the
nut job ("Please stop calling me"). This sounds like stalking, and there are
laws against that in many states.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 12, 8:29*am, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
Good question, and I don't know.

That seems odd. By what method did it become apparent...?
-----

- gpsman
Posted to alt.home.repair

If I don't know, how would I know?

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote:
Good question, and I don't know.

That seems odd. By what method did it become apparent...?
-----

- gpsman

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
No one really knows. The caller has aparently done this to others, also.

So... what did the others do...?

I had a friend tell me that she had a neighbor who was making
harassing calls to her husband and other male neighbors. The guy was
accusing these guys of molesting his wife, and threatening to call the
police. She dealt with it by picking up the phone next time he called
and telling him to leave hubby alone or she'd come over accompanied by
all the other women in the neighborhood, plus the cops, and deal with
him then and there. The calls stopped.

Seriously, tell your friend to file a police report. It won't
necessarily do anything about stopping it, but oftentimes the police
tend to give more credence to the party that complained first. So if
this caller is threatening people with the police, call the cops
first. For all you know, the cops will end up telling you this person
has a history of doing this. Maybe they're looking for someone willing
to file a complaint.
Posted to alt.home.repair

From: "Stormin Mormon"
Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2011 08:25:24 -0500

"The caller has aparently done this to others, also."
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.h...n&dmode=source

H o w d i d i t b e c o m e a p p a r e n t...?
-----

- gpsman
Posted to alt.home.repair

If you leave enough quoted text, maybe I'll know what you are asking. Now
that you have done so, I can answer. The victim has heard from other people
in the same social network, who have been harassed.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote:
If I don't know, how would I know?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 12, 12:49*pm, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
If you leave enough quoted text, maybe I'll know what you are asking.

Try scrolling.

Now
that you have done so, I can answer.

You could have answered before, if you could remember how many things
in this thread you have recently declared apparent.

The victim has heard from other people
in the same social network, who have been harassed.

And they all exchanged that fact with one another and then went on to
discuss things of greater import...?
-----

- gpsman

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
I know someone who's getting harassing calls and emails. The angry,

mentally
unstable harasser says "I'll call the police and have you arrested". Even
though, there's no crime committed (by the victim). The calls are getting

bit tiring.

My buddy solved his problem with his old professional tape deck that had a
slight delay between the recording of a sound and its playing back. I
imagine you've heard one of those radio call in programs with the time
delay "safety" when the caller has a radio on to hear what they sound like
on the radio. It's almost impossible to continue speaking when you hear the
words you've just spoken played back to you with a slight time delay. Takes
all the fun out of it for prank callers. (-:

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 10, 10:25*pm, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
[...]

.

"GOD IS LOVE"... WHY ARE YOU FREAKING OUT ?
LOVE THE TWISTED ****TARD OUT OF HIS DELUSION.
OR CONTINUE TO SUFFER HIM
JESUS CHRIST ! YOU NINNY, LEARN MORE ABOUT PSYCHOLOGY
BOOWAHAHAHAHA
PATECUM
TGITM