Posted to alt.home.repair

Default plug in timer

I have a cheaper coffee pot maker (inherited and makes good coffee)
that I like but it doesn't have a built in timer like my old one. I
want to buy a timer that works like the built in kind that is always
set say to 2 hours and each time I plug in the coffee pot, it counts
down from 2 hours or whatever I have it last set at. I don't want to
have to reset it each time I use the coffee pot. Does something like
this exist as a plug in? I looked so far on line and in one or two
stores without luck.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Doug wrote:
I have a cheaper coffee pot maker (inherited and makes good coffee)
that I like but it doesn't have a built in timer like my old one. I
want to buy a timer that works like the built in kind that is always
set say to 2 hours and each time I plug in the coffee pot, it counts
down from 2 hours or whatever I have it last set at. I don't want to
have to reset it each time I use the coffee pot. Does something like
this exist as a plug in? I looked so far on line and in one or two
stores without luck.

If you find one, let me know. I'd like a similar device to turn off the
battery charger for a drill after 5-7 hours.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/22/2012 7:27 AM, Doug wrote:
I have a cheaper coffee pot maker (inherited and makes good coffee)
that I like but it doesn't have a built in timer like my old one. I
want to buy a timer that works like the built in kind that is always
set say to 2 hours and each time I plug in the coffee pot, it counts
down from 2 hours or whatever I have it last set at. I don't want to
have to reset it each time I use the coffee pot. Does something like
this exist as a plug in? I looked so far on line and in one or two
stores without luck.

I have had one for years and years and was going to go and see who made it
so I could tell you but at the moment I can't find it so maybe I should say
I _had_ one. In any case, Belkin makes something that might work but it
doesn't have a 2-hour period, just ½, 3, and 6 hours. Cheap enough though:

http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-Conserv...f=pd_sim_hpc_1

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 22 Jun 2012 06:27:36 -0500, "Doug"
wrote:

I have a cheaper coffee pot maker (inherited and makes good coffee)
that I like but it doesn't have a built in timer like my old one. I
want to buy a timer that works like the built in kind that is always
set say to 2 hours and each time I plug in the coffee pot, it counts
down from 2 hours or whatever I have it last set at. I don't want to
have to reset it each time I use the coffee pot. Does something like
this exist as a plug in? I looked so far on line and in one or two
stores without luck.

Search for a 24 hour lamp (vacation) timer. I use them on lamps or a
radio while on vacation.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 22 Jun 2012 07:41:55 -0500, "HeyBub"
wrote:

Doug wrote:
I have a cheaper coffee pot maker (inherited and makes good coffee)
that I like but it doesn't have a built in timer like my old one. I
want to buy a timer that works like the built in kind that is always
set say to 2 hours and each time I plug in the coffee pot, it counts
down from 2 hours or whatever I have it last set at. I don't want to
have to reset it each time I use the coffee pot. Does something like
this exist as a plug in? I looked so far on line and in one or two
stores without luck.

If you find one, let me know. I'd like a similar device to turn off the
battery charger for a drill after 5-7 hours.

I have a couple of timers similar to this. Get a brand with a 24 hour
cycle.

http://www.amazon.com/GE-15153-Heavy-24-Hour-Mechanical/dp/B0035GF8NA/ref=pd_cp_hi_0

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I have a cheaper coffee pot maker (inherited and makes good coffee)
that I like but it doesn't have a built in timer like my old one. I
want to buy a timer that works like the built in kind that is always
set say to 2 hours and each time I plug in the coffee pot, it counts
down from 2 hours or whatever I have it last set at. I don't want to
have to reset it each time I use the coffee pot. Does something like
this exist as a plug in? I looked so far on line and in one or two
stores without luck.

Search for a 24 hour lamp (vacation) timer. I use them on lamps or a
radio while on vacation.

Actually, I don't think I've ever seen anything on the market like that.
Way back in the 80s I designed and built such a unit for the office
coffee pot. But, this one was for 10 hours, so that the 1st person in
the morning, hit the button, which turned on power for 10 hours.
Subsequent button pushed did nothing. After the 10 hours, the pot shut
off. Other departments wanted one, but had to build it themselves. It
would be easy to change it to 2 hours or anything in between. I don't
know where the schematic is now, however, if you are interested in a
build-it-yourself unit, I'll look. It does require some electronic
skills to build it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Doug" wrote:

I have a cheaper coffee pot maker (inherited and makes good coffee)
that I like but it doesn't have a built in timer like my old one. I
want to buy a timer that works like the built in kind that is always
set say to 2 hours and each time I plug in the coffee pot, it counts
down from 2 hours or whatever I have it last set at. I don't want to
have to reset it each time I use the coffee pot. Does something like
this exist as a plug in? I looked so far on line and in one or two
stores without luck.

You go to weird stores-- I think they are $8-10 in every hardware
store I've ever been in.

Harbor Freight has them for $5-
http://www.harborfreight.com/lamp-an...mer-40148.html

On/off as many times a day as there are 15 minute increments.

I've had a $10 one running my coffee pot for 10 years--- that's about
5 $10 coffee pots.

The HF ones have been running my grow lights for 3-4 years .

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 22 Jun 2012 09:09:01 -0400, Art Todesco
wrote:

Search for a 24 hour lamp (vacation) timer. I use them on lamps or a
radio while on vacation.

Actually, I don't think I've ever seen anything on the market like that.

Gosh.

Automatically turns devices On/Off

Manual constant ON override switch

Program repeats daily

Two grounded outlets

Slide pin construction that avoids lost pins

http://www.amazon.com/Westinghouse-T00448-2-Outlet-Indoor-Mechanical/dp/B0039UT73Y/ref=pd_bxgy_hi_text_b
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 22 Jun 2012 08:45:17 -0400, John McGaw
wrote:

On 6/22/2012 7:27 AM, Doug wrote:
I have a cheaper coffee pot maker (inherited and makes good coffee)
that I like but it doesn't have a built in timer like my old one. I
want to buy a timer that works like the built in kind that is always
set say to 2 hours and each time I plug in the coffee pot, it counts
down from 2 hours or whatever I have it last set at. I don't want to
have to reset it each time I use the coffee pot. Does something like
this exist as a plug in? I looked so far on line and in one or two
stores without luck.

I have had one for years and years and was going to go and see who made it
so I could tell you but at the moment I can't find it so maybe I should say
I _had_ one. In any case, Belkin makes something that might work but it
doesn't have a 2-hour period, just ½, 3, and 6 hours. Cheap enough though:

http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-Conserv...f=pd_sim_hpc_1

Thanks John. This looks like the closest to what I have in mind. I
guess I tried in too many words that some didn't understand me. Your
timer says it better... I want a power timerthat is on-demand instead
of on a schedule. I wish it had a 2 hour instead of 3 hour (like my
old coffee pot) but still this is basically what I have in mind. Now
just to ask for more, is there something just like this but instead of
1/2, 3 and 6 hours, allows for varied amount of time that you can set
it and it stays at that amount until you make it different ... still
tho as a on demand timer like this one ? Thanks John again.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 6/22/2012 7:27 AM, Doug wrote:
[...]

Not quite so simple as the first one I proposed nor as cheap but this might do:

http://www.amazon.com/Simple-Touch-C.../dp/B002KKCVYQ

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 6/22/2012 7:27 AM, Doug wrote:
[...]

Yep that's basically what I have in mind tho it may not be convenient
to operate but you understood me perfectly. Appreciate your replies
and thank you !!!!!
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Doug" wrote:

-snip-

Not quite so simple as the first one I proposed nor as cheap but this might do:

http://www.amazon.com/Simple-Touch-C.../dp/B002KKCVYQ

Yep that's basically what I have in mind tho it may not be convenient
to operate but you understood me perfectly. Appreciate your replies
and thank you !!!!!

You do realize that the timers that Oren and I posted have on off
switches and can be spun to the current time with a flick of the
wrist, right?

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 22, 6:27*am, "Doug" wrote:
I have a cheaper coffee pot maker (inherited and makes good coffee)
that I like but it doesn't have a built in timer like my old one. *I
want to buy a timer that works like the built in kind that is always
set say to 2 hours and each time I plug in the coffee pot, it counts
down from 2 hours or whatever I have it last set at. *I don't want to
have to reset it each time I use the coffee pot. * Does something like
this exist as a plug in? *I looked so far on line and in one or two
stores without luck.

Scrounge the mechanical timer from an old microwave oven, They can
usually be turned to maximum and have a run time of about 60 minutes
before shutting off whatever is conected to them off. If you're too
lazy to set it each time, then you will have to buy something.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/22/2012 12:27 PM, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
"Doug" wrote:

-snip-

Not quite so simple as the first one I proposed nor as cheap but this might do:

http://www.amazon.com/Simple-Touch-C.../dp/B002KKCVYQ

Yep that's basically what I have in mind tho it may not be convenient
to operate but you understood me perfectly. Appreciate your replies
and thank you !!!!!

You do realize that the timers that Oren and I posted have on off
switches and can be spun to the current time with a flick of the
wrist, right?

Jim

The idea is not to turn anything on or off at a particular time but to turn
something off x hours from _now_ ,whenever now might be, with as little
fuss as possible. In other words "press the button and use the appliance
with the assurance that in two hours it will turn off in case I forget to".

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 22 Jun 2012 12:27:36 -0400, Jim Elbrecht
wrote:

"Doug" wrote:

-snip-

Not quite so simple as the first one I proposed nor as cheap but this might do:

http://www.amazon.com/Simple-Touch-C.../dp/B002KKCVYQ

Yep that's basically what I have in mind tho it may not be convenient
to operate but you understood me perfectly. Appreciate your replies
and thank you !!!!!

You do realize that the timers that Oren and I posted have on off
switches and can be spun to the current time with a flick of the
wrist, right?

Jim

Yes Jim. I have something similar (identical ??) but it needs input
as to when to go on and how much. I think it's better suited for
lamps when usually you know when you want the lamp to go on and how
long it should stay on. Once you program it, it essentially is a
constant unless you change it. The difference with my coffee pot is
I don't know when I want it to start it each day or thru out the day
but I do know how long it should stay on for each use.

That said, your timer whether right or wrong for my purpose, deserves
a thank you from me to you and Oren (among others too). I know
everyone is just trying to help me. I appreciate the help, thank you
all !!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/22/2012 10:19 AM, John McGaw wrote:
On 6/22/2012 12:27 PM, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
"Doug" wrote:

-snip-

Not quite so simple as the first one I proposed nor as cheap but
this might do:

http://www.amazon.com/Simple-Touch-C.../dp/B002KKCVYQ

Yep that's basically what I have in mind tho it may not be convenient
to operate but you understood me perfectly. Appreciate your replies
and thank you !!!!!

You do realize that the timers that Oren and I posted have on off
switches and can be spun to the current time with a flick of the
wrist, right?

Jim

The idea is not to turn anything on or off at a particular time but to
turn something off x hours from _now_ ,whenever now might be, with as
little fuss as possible. In other words "press the button and use the
appliance with the assurance that in two hours it will turn off in case
I forget to".

set it to turn on at noon, off at 2pm. when you get there, simply plug
in and rotate the dial to noon to turn it on. when you leave, unplug.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 22 Jun 2012 13:19:17 -0400, John McGaw
wrote:

On 6/22/2012 12:27 PM, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
"Doug" wrote:

-snip-

Not quite so simple as the first one I proposed nor as cheap but this might do:

http://www.amazon.com/Simple-Touch-C.../dp/B002KKCVYQ

Yep that's basically what I have in mind tho it may not be convenient
to operate but you understood me perfectly. Appreciate your replies
and thank you !!!!!

You do realize that the timers that Oren and I posted have on off
switches and can be spun to the current time with a flick of the
wrist, right?

Jim

The idea is not to turn anything on or off at a particular time but to turn
something off x hours from _now_ ,whenever now might be, with as little
fuss as possible. In other words "press the button and use the appliance
with the assurance that in two hours it will turn off in case I forget to".

Ah ha, I now see the difference. Turn the appliance on at will, timed
and then it shuts off.

Not the same as a lamp timer on a 24 hour cycle; on a X and off at X
times.

Learn something every day :-\
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 22 Jun 2012 10:40:58 -0700, chaniarts
wrote:

On 6/22/2012 10:19 AM, John McGaw wrote:
On 6/22/2012 12:27 PM, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
"Doug" wrote:

-snip-

[...]

I guess this works. Not exactly what I had in mind but I guess you
get the same results as long as you remember to turn the dial to noon
grin. Thanks !!
Posted to alt.home.repair
Han Han is offline

"Doug" wrote in
:

I have a cheaper coffee pot maker (inherited and makes good coffee)
that I like but it doesn't have a built in timer like my old one. I
want to buy a timer that works like the built in kind that is always
set say to 2 hours and each time I plug in the coffee pot, it counts
down from 2 hours or whatever I have it last set at. I don't want to
have to reset it each time I use the coffee pot. Does something like
this exist as a plug in? I looked so far on line and in one or two
stores without luck.

We had timers like these in our lab. They could either turn on or turn off
appliances etc.
http://www.gralab.com/products/details.asp?ID=3
I think this is the type you want, but you probably could get half a dozen
coffeemakers for that price ...
--
Best regards
Han

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Doug" wrote:

On Fri, 22 Jun 2012 12:27:36 -0400, Jim Elbrecht
wrote:

-snip-

You do realize that the timers that Oren and I posted have on off
switches and can be spun to the current time with a flick of the
wrist, right?

Jim

Yes Jim. I have something similar (identical ??) but it needs input
as to when to go on and how much. I think it's better suited for
lamps when usually you know when you want the lamp to go on and how
long it should stay on. Once you program it, it essentially is a
constant unless you change it. The difference with my coffee pot is
I don't know when I want it to start it each day or thru out the day
but I do know how long it should stay on for each use.

We use our coffee pots differently-- Mine goes on at 6:15 & off at 11
unless I tell it not to.g Back in the day when alarms mattered to
me, if the alarm failed, the smell of fresh coffee woke me up.

That said, your timer whether right or wrong for my purpose, deserves
a thank you from me to you and Oren (among others too). I know
everyone is just trying to help me. I appreciate the help, thank you
all !!

You're Welcome--
I was just thinking that for 1/2 the price, and twice the versatility,
it would do what you wanted, and more.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Doug wrote:
I have a cheaper coffee pot maker (inherited and makes good coffee)
that I like but it doesn't have a built in timer like my old one. *I
want to buy a timer that works like the built in kind that is always
set say to 2 hours and each time I plug in the coffee pot, it counts
down from 2 hours or whatever I have it last set at. *I don't want to
have to reset it each time I use the coffee pot. * Does something like
this exist as a plug in? *I looked so far on line and in one or two
stores without luck.

If you find one, let me know. I'd like a similar device to turn off the
battery charger for a drill after 5-7 hours.

I have a couple of timers similar to this. *Get a brand with a 24 hour
cycle.

http://www.amazon.com/GE-15153-Heavy-24-Hour-Mechanical/dp/B0035GF8NA...

I don't see how that meets the reqts as outlined.
These 24 hour timers are very common and
available everywhere. What he appears to want is
a timer that will shut off the coffee pot 2 hours after
it is turned on and actually makes coffee, whatever
that time of day may happen to be.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 22 Jun 2012 11:47:56 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

I don't see how that meets the reqts as outlined.
These 24 hour timers are very common and
available everywhere. What he appears to want is
a timer that will shut off the coffee pot 2 hours after
it is turned on and actually makes coffee, whatever
that time of day may happen to be.

Yes. And I learned something today about the difference.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 22 Jun 2012 08:45:17 -0400, John McGaw wrote
Re plug in timer:

Belkin makes something that might work but it
doesn't have a 2-hour period, just ½, 3, and 6 hours. Cheap enough though:

http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-Conserv...f=pd_sim_hpc_1

That's a nice product.
Posted to alt.home.repair

... blah blah blah snipped...
You do realize that the timers that Oren and I posted have on off
switches and can be spun to the current time with a flick of the
wrist, right?

Jim

The idea is not to turn anything on or off at a particular time but to turn
something off x hours from _now_ ,whenever now might be, with as little
fuss as possible. In other words "press the button and use the appliance
with the assurance that in two hours it will turn off in case I forget to".

I use a cheap timer like this one from Harbor Freight
http://www.harborfreight.com/lamp-an...mer-40148.html
for $4.99 and set it to (for example) turn on at 3 pm and off at 5 pm, but
don't bother to actually set it to the reall time. When I want to use it
with a dumb battery charger, I just spin the timer till the pilot light
comes on, and know that it will shut off 2 hours later. Of course, If I
forget to unplug the charger before the next day, it will run through the
2 hour cycle again.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 22, 3:04*pm, CRNG wrote:
On Fri, 22 Jun 2012 08:45:17 -0400, John McGaw wrote
Re plug in timer:

Belkin makes something that might work but it
doesn't have a 2-hour period, just ½, 3, and 6 hours. Cheap enough though:

http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-Conserv...ergy-Saving/dp...

That's a nice product.

Yes, it's good to know they exist. I don't have a
need for one right now and may never, but if I
do, now I know where to find it.

digital plug in timer switches - do they all have power cut proof memory? Jim K[_3_] UK diy 16 May 30th 11 09:51 PM
7-day digital timer plug - clarafication Rob UK diy 4 April 20th 09 09:41 PM
Plug in timer Mark Spice UK diy 8 May 14th 07 05:50 PM
Plug in Timer - Thermostatic? David P UK diy 6 February 24th 06 04:54 PM