Posted to alt.home.repair
Larry W Larry W is offline

Default plug in timer

... blah blah blah snipped...
You do realize that the timers that Oren and I posted have on off
switches and can be spun to the current time with a flick of the
wrist, right?

Jim

The idea is not to turn anything on or off at a particular time but to turn
something off x hours from _now_ ,whenever now might be, with as little
fuss as possible. In other words "press the button and use the appliance
with the assurance that in two hours it will turn off in case I forget to".

I use a cheap timer like this one from Harbor Freight
http://www.harborfreight.com/lamp-an...mer-40148.html
for $4.99 and set it to (for example) turn on at 3 pm and off at 5 pm, but
don't bother to actually set it to the reall time. When I want to use it
with a dumb battery charger, I just spin the timer till the pilot light
comes on, and know that it will shut off 2 hours later. Of course, If I
forget to unplug the charger before the next day, it will run through the
2 hour cycle again.