Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Can Coleman Stoves use regular gasoline?

On 2015-03-01, Vic Smith wrote:

I used unleaded gas in my Coleman stove. Never had a problem.

I agree.

I had Coleman stoves and lanterns in the 50s-60s. The Amoco guy sed
their white gas was jes unleaded, so that's what I always used.
Worked fine for decades. Now, Coleman come's out with a "dual-fuel"
line of stoves/lanterns. Runs on both Coleman fuel AND unleaded
gasoline. What the heck did I have before?

nb

"White Gas" was basically the same as coleman fuel. Unleaded motor
fuel is a bit different - a veritable witch's brew. But it does work
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 1 Mar 2015 18:21:55 -0500, "Ralph Mowery"
wrote:

wrote in message
.. .
Amoco "white gas" is generically known as "naptha" and is the same as

coleman fuel. Used to use it in the old Maytag and IronHorse washing
machine engines, as well as the "gasoline" (mantle) lanterns on the
farm, as well as in the old "gasoline" blowtorches used by tinsmiths
to heat theit soldering "copper". It used to be available at every
local hardware store.

I think you are wrong on that. The Amoco white gas that was sold in service
stations for cars was not "naptha" but gasoline that cars used. It just
differant addativies instead of 'lead' to raise the octane.
Coleman fuel may actually be naptha, but it will not work very well in a car
engine.

Back in the 50's they used to add mothballs to gasoline for stock car
racing. I asked some guy about that, and he knew a lot about cars. He
said they release Naptha, which boosts the octane. But he also said
they have impurities that can cause filter clogging, and said it's
better to add straight Naptha.

In the 80's I was working for a place that had a half filled 55 gallon
barrel of naptha, and he owner asked me if I knew here to dispose of it.
I took it home, knowing it would be good for cleaning car parts. But
then I remembered what that guy told me, and I read up on it, and sure
enough, it's an octane booster for gasoline. I added a pint to a full
tank of gas in my 70's Chevy, and had no problems, but did not notice
any performance gain either. I then added a quart, and it seemed my old
worn out engine had more life. I then added a half gallon to 10 gallons
of gas, (5%) and that engine came right to life, and had a lot more
power. I then increased it to 1 gallon to 10 gallons of gas, (10%) but
that seemed to make it run rough. So, I went back to the 5% mix, and
continued to do this until I used up all that Naptha. The engine was
not harmed. It has a carburetor and mechanical fuel pump. The increase
in power was impressive. I dont know if it would work in modern fuel
injected cars????

I didn't know that Coleman fuel is naptha. I've never used it. I
always buy propane camping stuff, or mostly just use plain old firewood
for cooking, and flashlights for light.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, March 1, 2015 at 3:31:14 PM UTC-6, wrote:
On Sat, 28 Feb 2015 23:53:55 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

Gasoline is the most hazardous and toxic substance that the average person comes in contact with on a regular basis. If you have prolonged contact with it on your skin, you will get a nasty rash. Benzene is present in gasoline and is a known carcinogen. Who knows what other chemicals are in gas? (just what is "Techron" anyway?) What deposits could it leave on a lantern mantle?

I buy Coleman fuel when it goes on sale. It is free from additives and has an indefinite shelf life. I think it burns cleaner and has a bit less odor. Less "gunking" up your stove/lantern. A gallon will last me a long time.. Don't risk your health to save a few bucks!

If the spit hits the fan, I could always use gasoline. But only in an emergency.

As for refilling small propane cylinders, I have a refill adapter that fits on a bulk tank. I turn the 20lb cylinder upside down, screw everything together and fill the small cylinder without bleeding it. I put the 16oz cylinders in my freezer prior to filling. I would estimate that I can fill each cylinder about 2/3rds full doing this. Some will start leaking, especially when they get old. If I get a leaker, I will immediately attach it to a device such as a torch head, lantern, stove, etc., mark it as bad, and use it normally. I then discard it when empty.

While propane is convenient, Coleman fuel is more economical (one gallon = about 5 cylinders of propane) and will work far better when it is cold outside. It is also "greener" as there is less waste than throwaway propane cylinders. (most people don't refill them)

Just my 2 cents.

Some coleman devices are rated for use with lead free gasoline, some
are not. It will work even in the non-rated units in a pinch.
Techron is Chevron's registered trademark for a polyetheramine (pea)
"detergent" which is actually quite effective at keeping fuel systems
clean, and at higher concentrations even cleaning fuel systems and
combustion cleaners.

Refilling 1lb propane tanks is OK if you are carefull, but it is
ILLGAT to transport a refilled single use fuel canister. Will you get
caught? Not likely. If it blows up can they prove you refilled it?
Unlikely. But keep it in mind - the law is there, and CAN be eforced.

Leaky 1lb canisters are not at all uncommon - and are not restricted
to refills.

Using propane in cold weather requires pre-heating the tank. Coleman
fuel or gasoline can heat their own "generators" even at -40.

Are you so bored that you bring this thread back after a year...and have all the morons here rehash everything?
Posted to alt.home.repair
Roy Roy is offline

On Monday, March 2, 2015 at 11:29:19 AM UTC-7, wrote:
On Sun, 01 Mar 2015 16:31:04 -0500, wrote:

Using propane in cold weather requires pre-heating the tank. Coleman
fuel or gasoline can heat their own "generators" even at -40.

I dont have to preheat the 500 gallon outdoor bulk tank of propane that
heats my house......

At -40 degrees you may have to do so. I had to do it once.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ralph Mowery wrote:

I think you are wrong on that. The Amoco white gas that was sold in
service stations for cars was not "naptha" but gasoline that cars used.
It just differant addativies instead of 'lead' to raise the octane.

In my (fading) memory, white gas was different. It was dispensed from a 55
gallon drum like kerosene, not a pump on the island. Not all gas stations
had it. I remember Amoco advertising the supposed purity of their gasoline
compared to other brands and some people swore by it, but that wasn't what
we called white gas for camp stoves or lanterns.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"rbowman" wrote in message
Ralph Mowery wrote:

I think you are wrong on that. The Amoco white gas that was sold in
service stations for cars was not "naptha" but gasoline that cars used.
It just differant addativies instead of 'lead' to raise the octane.

In my (fading) memory, white gas was different. It was dispensed from a 55
gallon drum like kerosene, not a pump on the island. Not all gas stations
had it. I remember Amoco advertising the supposed purity of their gasoline
compared to other brands and some people swore by it, but that wasn't what
we called white gas for camp stoves or lanterns.

The Amco 'white gas' I put in my car was from the pump. At that time as I
recall it, they had 2 pumps one for the 'regular' or low octaine and another
pump for the 'white gas' or high test as the higher octain gas was called.

I don't know if they had anything in the 55 gallon drums or not, of if they
did if it was anything else just for the stoves and lanterns.

Posted to alt.home.repair

My dad bought white gas (unleaded gas) for the 5 HP Johnson outboard we had...and added (I think) 20 weight oil to it. This was around 60 yrs ago...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 3 Mar 2015 10:06:19 -0500, "Ralph Mowery"
wrote:

The Amco 'white gas' I put in my car was from the pump. At that time as I
recall it, they had 2 pumps one for the 'regular' or low octaine and another
pump for the 'white gas' or high test as the higher octain gas was called.

I don't know if they had anything in the 55 gallon drums or not, of if they
did if it was anything else just for the stoves and lanterns.

Back then, leaded gas had a red tint to it. I'm not sure if the lead
made the red color, or if they added a dye, but it was always red/pink
in color.

These days, all gas is "white" (clear).

Posted to alt.home.repair

"bob_villa" wrote in message
My dad bought white gas (unleaded gas) for the 5 HP Johnson outboard we
had...and added (I think) 20 weight oil to it. This was around 60 yrs
ago...

Many years ago lots of small engines (say under 10 HP) were 2 cycle and you
had to mix the oil and gas. My dad had a 7 1/2 HP boat motor that needed
oil mixed with it. Even the much larger boat motors still mix oil in some of
them, or have an oil injuctor that does it for you . I also remember a lawn
mower he had that required mixing and he got the mix wrong one time and I
had to mow. That thing put out so much smoke it was difficult to mow with.

I doubt it was 20 weight oil but some special oil designed for 2 cycle
engines.

The smaller engines such as chain saws and weed eaters most often are 2
cycle and mix in oil.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, March 3, 2015 at 11:32:13 AM UTC-6, Ralph Mowery wrote:
"bob_villa" wrote in message
My dad bought white gas (unleaded gas) for the 5 HP Johnson outboard we
had...and added (I think) 20 weight oil to it. This was around 60 yrs
ago...

I doubt it was 20 weight oil but some special oil designed for 2 cycle
engines.

I did some searching on marine message boards and this was the consensus for circa 1950: white gas and automotive non-detergent SAE 30 Weight in a 24:1 ratio.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"bob_villa" wrote in message
My dad bought white gas (unleaded gas) for the 5 HP Johnson outboard we
had...and added (I think) 20 weight oil to it. This was around 60 yrs
ago...

I doubt it was 20 weight oil but some special oil designed for 2 cycle
engines.

I did some searching on marine message boards and this was the consensus
for circa 1950: white gas and automotive non-detergent SAE 30 Weight in a
24:1 ratio.

For the very old engines that could be correct. Now the oil has changed and
is not recommended. There are even different oils for water or air cooled
engines.
http://www.oddjobmotors.com/tt5_2-stroke-oil.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 03 Mar 2015 07:48:36 -0700, rbowman
wrote:

Ralph Mowery wrote:

I think you are wrong on that. The Amoco white gas that was sold in
service stations for cars was not "naptha" but gasoline that cars used.
It just differant addativies instead of 'lead' to raise the octane.

In my (fading) memory, white gas was different. It was dispensed from a 55
gallon drum like kerosene, not a pump on the island. Not all gas stations
had it. I remember Amoco advertising the supposed purity of their gasoline
compared to other brands and some people swore by it, but that wasn't what
we called white gas for camp stoves or lanterns.

Amoco "white gas" was "straight run" gasoline - with no octane
boosters. More expensive to produce that way..

The old hardware store "White Gas" was basically the same as Coleman
Fuel - it is a liquid petroleum fuel (100% light hydrotreated
distillate) Originally, it was simply casing-head gas or drip gas
which has similar properties. Drip gas was sold commercially at gas
stations and hardware stores in North America until the early 1950s.
The white gas sold today is a similar product but is produced at
refineries with the benzene removed. It is roughly 55 octane. OK for
flathead engines.

Amoco white gas was 93 octane. Today's motor fuel is a far cry from
the older gasolines - todays are a veritable witch's brew

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 3 Mar 2015 12:39:46 -0500, "Ralph Mowery"
wrote:

"bob_villa" wrote in message
My dad bought white gas (unleaded gas) for the 5 HP Johnson outboard we
had...and added (I think) 20 weight oil to it. This was around 60 yrs
ago...

Many years ago lots of small engines (say under 10 HP) were 2 cycle and you
had to mix the oil and gas. My dad had a 7 1/2 HP boat motor that needed
oil mixed with it. Even the much larger boat motors still mix oil in some of
them, or have an oil injuctor that does it for you . I also remember a lawn
mower he had that required mixing and he got the mix wrong one time and I
had to mow. That thing put out so much smoke it was difficult to mow with.

I doubt it was 20 weight oil but some special oil designed for 2 cycle
engines.

The smaller engines such as chain saws and weed eaters most often are 2
cycle and mix in oil.

Back in the "early days" standard sae30 motor oil was mixed with gas
12 or 18:1 for 2 stroke engines - like the old Jacobsen and Lawn boy
(iron horse) engines.
That was late '50s, early '60s. Down to 20-25:1 in the seventies, when
dedicated 2 stroke oil was developed and specified. Now 50 and even
100:1 are not terribly uncommon., with ashless smokeless synthetics.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/3/2015 10:44 PM, rbowman wrote:
We had a 12' aluminum boat with a well worn 7 1/2 hp Evinrude when I was a
kid. Trolling with it on a still night generated enough smoke to keep the
mosquitoes at bay and there was the pretty rainbow slick floowing you.

Today the EPA would skip the shot across the bow and just fire for effect if
they saw a rig like that. I imagine ****ing off the side is frowned upon
too. I don't know hwat kids do for fun anymore except diddling with XBoxes.

As recently as a few generations ago, kids played with
gasoline, firearms, and gosh knows what. Now days, they
text their friends. "Lol; KWIM? BFF, BRB, LOL." And
that passes for conversation.

During one phase of my adolsence I amused myself with
a full sheet magnifying lens, exploding black ants on
the pool deck.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, June 13, 2012 at 6:20:41 AM UTC-4, wrote:
I no longer own one of these old stoves, but as a child, I recall my dad
said you had to use "White Gas" and could never use "red gas" from the
gas station. But back then, red gas meant leaded gas, and the reason
for not using it was because the lead would clog something in the stove
(not sure what).

Anyhow, a friend just got one of these old stoves and wants to know what
to burn. I know Coleman fuel is costly, and gas stations no longer sell
the stuff called "white gas".

Yet, no gasoline contains lead anymore, and it's all white in color.
(actually clear). Therefore, I cant see why a person cant just use any
standard unleaded gasoline?

Anyone know?

(Personally, I prefer propane camping stoves. Easier to use and safer).

Best to go with ethanol free available at some stations as ethanol destroys seals.

Coleman Powermate low voltage Pumbaa Home Repair 2 June 24th 09 03:48 PM
Coleman Powermate amdx Home Repair 7 June 9th 08 11:20 PM
Jotul Stoves - Anyone sell these stoves Online? M Wilson Home Repair 3 October 28th 04 10:23 PM
White Gas, Coleman Fuel, and Unleaded Gasoline Gunner Metalworking 11 October 6th 03 05:44 AM