Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Coleman Powermate

Three years ago I bought a Colemane Powermate (ProGen 5000)
I unboxed it Saturday evening plugged in some freezers and it worked fine
for over an hour. Then it stopped producing current. The circuit breakers
did not trip. The engine runs fine. The only procedure in the manual is
about remagnetizing the unit.
It doesn't seem to me that it would lose magnitism while it is producing
power.
Anybody have a clue?
Thanks, Mike
BTW, Coleman powermate is closed, employees laidoff, bankrupcy and lawsuits
are filed.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 9, 1:44*pm, "amdx" wrote:
*Three years ago I bought a Colemane Powermate (ProGen 5000)
*I unboxed it Saturday evening plugged in some freezers and it worked fine
for over an hour. Then it stopped producing current. The circuit breakers
did not trip. The engine runs fine. The only procedure in the manual is
about remagnetizing the unit.
*It doesn't seem to me that it would lose magnitism while it is producing
power.
*Anybody have a clue?
* * * * * * * * * * * * Thanks, Mike
*BTW, Coleman powermate is closed, employees laidoff, bankrupcy and lawsuits
are filed.

Its probably something that was defective and would have shown up 3
years ago after 1 hr, I also thought remagnatising was done only if no
power was produced. All you can do is run it and trace the power flow,
or you might open the panel and smell something bad.
alt.energy.homepower has alot of genheads visiting that know
equipment.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Meat Plow wrote:

On Mon, 09 Jun 2008 13:44:51 -0500, amdx wrote:

Three years ago I bought a Colemane Powermate (ProGen 5000)
I unboxed it Saturday evening plugged in some freezers and it worked fine
for over an hour. Then it stopped producing current. The circuit breakers
did not trip. The engine runs fine. The only procedure in the manual is
about remagnetizing the unit.
It doesn't seem to me that it would lose magnitism while it is producing
power.
Anybody have a clue?
Thanks, Mike
BTW, Coleman powermate is closed, employees laidoff, bankrupcy and lawsuits
are filed.

Jump on the lawsuit bandwagon unless you can find someone to repair it.
Just for the hell of it did your try the re-magnetizing thingy?

With it being stored that long, I'd take a look at the brushes. A little
corrosion or insect activity could cause a brush to be stuck in the
holder and loose contact after a couple hundred k revs.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Meat Plow" wrote in message
On Mon, 09 Jun 2008 13:44:51 -0500, amdx wrote:

Three years ago I bought a Colemane Powermate (ProGen 5000)
I unboxed it Saturday evening plugged in some freezers and it worked
fine
for over an hour. Then it stopped producing current. The circuit breakers
did not trip. The engine runs fine. The only procedure in the manual is
about remagnetizing the unit.
It doesn't seem to me that it would lose magnitism while it is producing
power.
Anybody have a clue?
Thanks, Mike
BTW, Coleman powermate is closed, employees laidoff, bankrupcy and
lawsuits
are filed.

Jump on the lawsuit bandwagon unless you can find someone to repair it.
Just for the hell of it did your try the re-magnetizing thingy?

No, I haven't tried re-magnetizing, yet.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Pete C." wrote in message

Meat Plow wrote:

[...]

Box was clean and dry, no sign of any insects or corrosion, but I'll check
the brushes.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"ransley" wrote in message
On Jun 9, 1:44 pm, "amdx" wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the tip on alt.energy.homepower.
Mike

Posted to alt.home.repair

"amdx" wrote in message

"Meat Plow" wrote in message
[...]

Ok, I went out and checked connections, looked good. I got out a 12v power
supply and connected it per the manual to remagnetize the unit. I heard the
motor drag down, plugged in a light and it is producing power.
With a small 50 watt load the output voltage is only 104 Volts.
I came in wrote the post, then decided to try a bigger load. The unit had
lost its magnetism.
I remagnitized it and connected an 1800 watt load and the output voltage is
only 94 volts.
Doesn't seem good!
Mike