Posted to alt.home.repair
amdx amdx is offline

Default Coleman Powermate

"amdx" wrote in message

"Meat Plow" wrote in message
On Mon, 09 Jun 2008 13:44:51 -0500, amdx wrote:

Three years ago I bought a Colemane Powermate (ProGen 5000)
I unboxed it Saturday evening plugged in some freezers and it worked
fine
for over an hour. Then it stopped producing current. The circuit
breakers
did not trip. The engine runs fine. The only procedure in the manual is
about remagnetizing the unit.
It doesn't seem to me that it would lose magnitism while it is
producing
power.
Anybody have a clue?
Thanks, Mike
BTW, Coleman powermate is closed, employees laidoff, bankrupcy and
lawsuits
are filed.

Jump on the lawsuit bandwagon unless you can find someone to repair it.
Just for the hell of it did your try the re-magnetizing thingy?

No, I haven't tried re-magnetizing, yet.

Ok, I went out and checked connections, looked good. I got out a 12v power
supply and connected it per the manual to remagnetize the unit. I heard the
motor drag down, plugged in a light and it is producing power.
With a small 50 watt load the output voltage is only 104 Volts.
I came in wrote the post, then decided to try a bigger load. The unit had
lost its magnetism.
I remagnitized it and connected an 1800 watt load and the output voltage is
only 94 volts.
Doesn't seem good!
Mike