Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default coleman 400 watt power inverter

have a coleman 400 watt power inverter.

DON'T have a schematic or anything that resembles this circuit.
is there anyplace I can find this?

it exploded a 100mf 16v cap.
has 2 sets of 4 power MOSFETs.
2 are shorted in the same group on the same side.

ie --- A1 A2 X X

B1 B2 B3 B4

they are STP60NF06

The cap was across the fan power which apparently came from these
MOSFETs

checked what I could - diodes, etc. - other things are at least not
shorted - could be open

question is...
what are the chances that replacing those 2 devices and the cap will
solve the problem?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Wed, 09 Aug 2006 22:12:19 GMT, CJT wrote:

wrote:
have a coleman 400 watt power inverter.

DON'T have a schematic or anything that resembles this circuit.
is there anyplace I can find this?

it exploded a 100mf 16v cap.
has 2 sets of 4 power MOSFETs.
2 are shorted in the same group on the same side.

ie --- A1 A2 X X

B1 B2 B3 B4

they are STP60NF06

The cap was across the fan power which apparently came from these
MOSFETs

checked what I could - diodes, etc. - other things are at least not
shorted - could be open

question is...
what are the chances that replacing those 2 devices and the cap will
solve the problem?

Wouldn't a whole new one be cheaper?

Well, the devices are $1.01 each plus $5.85 shipping, so for $10.00 I
can replace all 4 devices and fix it -- Unless someone with experience
thinks there is more problems.
What can I say, I'm and engineer and don't believe in throwing things
away.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article ,
wrote:
Well, the devices are $1.01 each plus $5.85 shipping, so for $10.00 I
can replace all 4 devices and fix it -- Unless someone with experience
thinks there is more problems.
What can I say, I'm and engineer and don't believe in throwing things
away.

At that price try it and see, but order up some spare MOSFETs in case. The
other thing to check are the high voltage driver transistor(s). And of
course for any damage to the PCB/wiring.

--
*I used up all my sick days so I called in dead

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
wrote:
Well, the devices are $1.01 each plus $5.85 shipping, so for $10.00 I
can replace all 4 devices and fix it -- Unless someone with experience
thinks there is more problems.
What can I say, I'm and engineer and don't believe in throwing things
away.

At that price try it and see, but order up some spare MOSFETs in case. The
other thing to check are the high voltage driver transistor(s). And of
course for any damage to the PCB/wiring.

--
*I used up all my sick days so I called in dead

Hmmmm, pretty good sig!

I am in the middle of repairing a UPS that was overloaded and blew out the
four output fets. It also took out a small portion of board trace. Pretty
violent. I think I will put a .01 or .05 ohm resistor in series with the
battery lead when I fire it up after making the repair. I'm not going to
spend a lot of time fooling with this one, but like you, I hate just
chucking something if I know it can be repaired.
regards,
tom