Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Coleman Powermate low voltage

Just one question: are you measuring the voltage under load, or under no load?

On this gen, you don't get ANY voltage unless there is some sort of
load... I have been using a 300 Watt shop light (just 'cause it was
handy)
Posted to alt.home.repair

Latest and Greatest.

Okay, I un-soldered the diodes and checked them one more time, good
to go. Put the whole thing back together, and fired it up.
Same problems, If I want 60Hz I get about 90 volts. If I want 120
Volts I get about 70Hz. (In my house for comparison the Kill A Watt
shows 59.9Hz and 122.0 Volts) Just to see what would work, I tried
hooking up my table saw, it took a second but it did spin up and I am
sure that baby pulls some amps! I then tried my battery charger, no
luck it would not even turn on (which is kind of the reason I want
this gen anyway). And on the 12 Volt socket I get 24 Volts!!! I'm
not out any money here, just time. But, after I burned my thumb on
the exhaust trying to tweek the rpm's I decided enough is enough. If
I had a shotgun I would end this units pain and suffering...

Thanks to everyone who posted
Craig
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Pumbaa" wrote in message
[...]

I actually bought a new engine for mine (the first one didn't last very
long) and it just never seemed to have enough output. I even tried
connecting it to a 4 HP Honda engine. I broke the cooling fan on the rotor
when I connected it to a 10 HP engine, just to see if the low output was due
to not enough engine power. I found another use for that Honda engine and
I'm looking for another use for the replacement engine (compressor
perhaps?). I replaced all the diodes, checked the resistors, checked the
coils, and I just can't find anything wrong with it. Come to think of it,
you may have a bad capacitor. That might cause the low frequency. Make
sure you get one with the exact same value. It should at least get a
battery charger to come on (assuming it's a high-frequency smart charger
type). Your DC voltage seems a bit high but I wouldn't be surprised to see
17 or 18 volts. For emergency battery charging only.

BTW Coleman gets about $250 for a new rotor. The cooling fan on my cheap
Chinese generator starting falling apart (at 3000 hours) and they only want
$25 for a new rotor. The whole generator usually sells for about $250 (or
less on sale). My Coleman engine only lasted about 300 hours.