Posted to alt.home.repair
Ralph Mowery Ralph Mowery is offline

Default Can Coleman Stoves use regular gasoline?

"bob_villa" wrote in message
On Tuesday, March 3, 2015 at 11:32:13 AM UTC-6, Ralph Mowery wrote:
"bob_villa" wrote in message
My dad bought white gas (unleaded gas) for the 5 HP Johnson outboard we
had...and added (I think) 20 weight oil to it. This was around 60 yrs
ago...

I doubt it was 20 weight oil but some special oil designed for 2 cycle
engines.

I did some searching on marine message boards and this was the consensus
for circa 1950: white gas and automotive non-detergent SAE 30 Weight in a
24:1 ratio.

For the very old engines that could be correct. Now the oil has changed and
is not recommended. There are even different oils for water or air cooled
engines.
http://www.oddjobmotors.com/tt5_2-stroke-oil.htm