Posted to alt.home.repair
rbowman rbowman is offline

Default Can Coleman Stoves use regular gasoline?

Ralph Mowery wrote:

I think you are wrong on that. The Amoco white gas that was sold in
service stations for cars was not "naptha" but gasoline that cars used.
It just differant addativies instead of 'lead' to raise the octane.

In my (fading) memory, white gas was different. It was dispensed from a 55
gallon drum like kerosene, not a pump on the island. Not all gas stations
had it. I remember Amoco advertising the supposed purity of their gasoline
compared to other brands and some people swore by it, but that wasn't what
we called white gas for camp stoves or lanterns.