Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Can Coleman Stoves use regular gasoline?

On Tue, 03 Mar 2015 16:45:47 GMT, (Scott Lurndal)
wrote:

writes:
On Tue, 3 Mar 2015 10:06:19 -0500, "Ralph Mowery"
wrote:

The Amco 'white gas' I put in my car was from the pump. At that time as I
recall it, they had 2 pumps one for the 'regular' or low octaine and another
pump for the 'white gas' or high test as the higher octain gas was called.

I don't know if they had anything in the 55 gallon drums or not, of if they
did if it was anything else just for the stoves and lanterns.

Back then, leaded gas had a red tint to it. I'm not sure if the lead
made the red color, or if they added a dye, but it was always red/pink
in color.

Actually, the red tint was added to untaxed light distillates
used on farms. One was subject to penalty if tinted gasoline
was used on vehicles driven exclusively on public roadways.

These days, all gas is "white" (clear).

Not necessarily, see above.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuel_dyes
Non Taxed diesel is died red.
Gasoline was coloured to indicate the octane rating. Particularly Av
Gas - but regular MoGas as well.

Sunoco premium was blue.

In AvGas, the old 80/87 was red, 82 UL was purple, 100LL is blue,
100/130 was green.
Today anything other than 100LL is pretty rare.