Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Gasoline engine driven chain saw recommendation

Need a gasoline engine driven chain saw around 22-24 inches. Any first
hand recommendations?

Thanks
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Pointer" wrote in message
Need a gasoline engine driven chain saw around 22-24 inches. Any first
hand recommendations?

Thanks

Three, in order of their quality

1. Stihl
2. Johnserand (mostly European)
3. Husqvarna

HTH, and good luck. Don't cheap out on a cheap saw. You can fix and
maintain Stihl and Husky's from a common supplier. So long as you don't
screw up the gas mix and run it without enough oil, the other problems are
nuts and bolts. When you do go buy a good saw, you will have a $200 boat
anchor. Don't listen to those who tell you Echo and Poulan and such are
good saws. If you use it at all, you will burn it up, and be in the market
for a REAL saw.

Learn how to take the bar off regularly, and clean it with a blowgun and
parts washer to keep the bar oiler working, and "stuff" out of the
centrifugal clutch. Keep your blades sharp, getting them professionally
sharpened, or buy a good Oregon sharpener. It will make all the difference
in the world.

If you start off with a cheapie off brand saw .................... Happy
boating.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/13/2011 5:49 PM, Pointer wrote:
Need a gasoline engine driven chain saw around 22-24 inches. Any first
hand recommendations?

Thanks

I now use what most professional tree services use, a Stihl.

www.stihlusa.com

I used to buy the junk saws at the big box home centers but none of them
ever lasted too long. All were hard to start and they didn't run worth a
damn either.

My Stihl on the other hand, runs like a raped ape and cuts through logs
like an angry beaver.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 13, 7:12*pm, Woody wrote:
On 9/13/2011 5:49 PM, Pointer wrote:

Need a gasoline engine driven chain saw around 22-24 inches. Any first
hand recommendations?

Thanks

I now use what most professional tree services use, a Stihl.

www.stihlusa.com

I used to buy the junk saws at the big box home centers but none of them
ever lasted too long. All were hard to start and they didn't run worth a
damn either.

My Stihl on the other hand, runs like a raped ape and cuts through logs
like an angry beaver.

I have a Stihl 031AV that's closing in on 40 years old now.
I just use it for occasional work around the house, so it
hasn't seen a lot of rough use, but it still works like new.
Posted to alt.home.repair

That's a memorable description. Perhaps you can (memorably)
describe the chain, bar, grip handles, and throttle. I'm
sure this will be the most memorable post of the year. I'm
all aquiver.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Woody" wrote in message

I now use what most professional tree services use, a Stihl.

www.stihlusa.com

I used to buy the junk saws at the big box home centers but
none of them
ever lasted too long. All were hard to start and they didn't
run worth a
damn either.

My Stihl on the other hand, runs like a raped ape and cuts
through logs
like an angry beaver.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 13 Sep 2011 17:01:53 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Sep 13, 7:12Â*pm, Woody wrote:
On 9/13/2011 5:49 PM, Pointer wrote:

Need a gasoline engine driven chain saw around 22-24 inches. Any first
hand recommendations?

Thanks

I now use what most professional tree services use, a Stihl.

www.stihlusa.com

I used to buy the junk saws at the big box home centers but none of them
ever lasted too long. All were hard to start and they didn't run worth a
damn either.

My Stihl on the other hand, runs like a raped ape and cuts through logs
like an angry beaver.

I have a Stihl 031AV that's closing in on 40 years old now.
I just use it for occasional work around the house, so it
hasn't seen a lot of rough use, but it still works like new.

Don't know how old my Remington is - I've owned it for 20 years and
it was old as Methuselah when I got it.

Generally starts on about the third pull after sitting for a year (if
it doesn't pull the rope out of your hand) - one seriously POTENT
little saw.Very high compression and it sounds VISCIOUS. Can't
remember off hand but I think 42cc with a 20 inch bar - makes short
work of trimming the cherry and locust trees - and the maples? - it
just shrugs them off. I do not use it a LOT - but it's seen a lot of
use over it's long life.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Woody wrote:

I used to buy the junk saws at the big box home centers but none of them
ever lasted too long. All were hard to start and they didn't run worth a damn either.

Thats because the saws sold at lowes depot are chinasaws not chainsaws.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 13 Sep 2011 17:49:30 -0400, Pointer
wrote Re Gasoline engine driven chain saw recommendation:

Need a gasoline engine driven chain saw around 22-24 inches. Any first
hand recommendations?

Thanks

StihL
http://www.stihlusa.com/chainsaws/

Been using mine for 20 years now.

Make sure you buy if from a dealer that also services the saws. You
probably won't need any service, but it's a good idea to support
dealers that can provide it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
..
Don't know how old my Remington is - I've owned it for 20
years and
it was old as Methuselah when I got it.

Generally starts on about the third pull after sitting for
a year (if
it doesn't pull the rope out of your hand) - one seriously
POTENT
little saw.Very high compression and it sounds VISCIOUS.
Can't
remember off hand but I think 42cc with a 20 inch bar -
makes short
work of trimming the cherry and locust trees - and the
maples? - it
just shrugs them off. I do not use it a LOT - but it's
seen a lot of
use over it's long life.

Remington Chainsaws were made by Desa International prior to
2009.

In December of 2008 Desa International filed bankruptcy and
has since gone out of business.
During the spring of 2009 MTD purchased the Remington
Chainsaw assets from Desa.

I don't think the new ones will sound so vicious:

http://www.mtdproducts.com/webapp/wc...71__-1_2_5__3_

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/13/2011 11:01 PM, pseudonym wrote:
wrote:

I used to buy the junk saws at the big box home centers but none of them
ever lasted too long. All were hard to start and they didn't run worth a damn either.

Thats because the saws sold at lowes depot are chinasaws not chainsaws.

I'm agreeing too. My current saw is a Poulan Wild Thing which worked
great at first but oil pump went out. I had it repaired under warranty
and now out of warranty, I have to tie down the trigger to start it as
catch does not hold. My son bought one too and it failed after a few
months so he returned it to HD for refund (only good thing you can say
about box store products).

I'll never buy another product which says, "for occasional use only".

Posted to alt.home.repair

*wrote:

I used to buy the junk saws at the big box home centers but none of them
ever lasted too long. All were hard to start and they didn't run worth a damn either.

Thats because the saws sold at lowes depot are chinasaws not chainsaws.

I'm agreeing too. *My current saw is a Poulan Wild Thing which worked
great at first but oil pump went out. *I had it repaired under warranty
and now out of warranty, I have to tie down the trigger to start it as
catch does not hold. *My son bought one too and it failed after a few
months so he returned it to HD for refund (only good thing you can say
about box store products).

I'll never buy another product which says, "for occasional use only".

I've had a mac for 30+ years now but I think the stihls are the best
these days.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/13/2011 4:49 PM, Pointer wrote:
Need a gasoline engine driven chain saw around 22-24 inches. Any first
hand recommendations?

Thanks

there really is only ONE chain saw manufacturer. Stihl.

www.stihlusa.com

--
Steve Barker
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/14/2011 5:45 AM, Caesar Romano wrote:
On Tue, 13 Sep 2011 17:49:30 -0400,
wrote Re Gasoline engine driven chain saw recommendation:

Need a gasoline engine driven chain saw around 22-24 inches. Any first
hand recommendations?

Thanks

StihL
http://www.stihlusa.com/chainsaws/

Been using mine for 20 years now.

Make sure you buy if from a dealer that also services the saws. You
probably won't need any service, but it's a good idea to support
dealers that can provide it.

The clear winner is Stihl and the loser is Poulan for neighbor has two
one cuts well if you can get it started, the other never wants to start.

Thanks
Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve B wrote:
Keep your blades sharp, getting them
professionally sharpened, or buy a good Oregon sharpener. It will
make all the difference in the world.

I've never had a problem sharpening with a file. Does a sharpener really make
that much difference? I figured they would just eat away the chain 4 times
faster.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

On Sep 13, 6:45*pm, "Steve B" wrote:
"Pointer" wrote in message

Need a gasoline engine driven chain saw around 22-24 inches. *Any first
hand recommendations?

Thanks

Three, in order of their quality

1. *Stihl
2. Johnserand (mostly European)
3. Husqvarna

HTH, and good luck. *Don't cheap out on a cheap saw. *You can fix and
maintain Stihl and Husky's from a common supplier. *So long as you don't
screw up the gas mix and run it without enough oil, the other problems are
nuts and bolts. *When you do go buy a good saw, you will have a $200 boat
anchor. *Don't listen to those who tell you Echo and Poulan and such are
good saws. *If you use it at all, you will burn it up, and be in the market
for a REAL saw.

Hmmmm....my Poulan has been working fine since I bought it in 2004.

Guess I got a lemon.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

*wrote:

I used to buy the junk saws at the big box home centers but none of them
ever lasted too long. All were hard to start and they didn't run worth a damn either.

Thats because the saws sold at lowes depot are chinasaws not chainsaws.

I'm agreeing too. *My current saw is a Poulan Wild Thing which worked
great at first but oil pump went out. *I had it repaired under warranty
and now out of warranty, I have to tie down the trigger to start it as
catch does not hold. *My son bought one too and it failed after a few
months so he returned it to HD for refund (only good thing you can say
about box store products).

I'll never buy another product which says, "for occasional use only".

Same saw I have...no problems for 7 years.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 14 Sep 2011 05:57:52 -0400, "Michael Angelo" michael@angelo
wrote:

wrote in message
.. .
.
[...]

Sadly, anything with the MTD or Yardworks name tag is pretty poor
stuff today. I used to buy there stuff when it was made here in
Kitchener Ontario - but if they can't make it here, I'll buy whatever
I like.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 14 Sep 2011 14:06:32 -0700 (PDT), Ron
wrote:

On Sep 13, 6:45Â*pm, "Steve B" wrote:
"Pointer" wrote in message

Need a gasoline engine driven chain saw around 22-24 inches. Â*Any first
hand recommendations?

Thanks

Three, in order of their quality

1. Â*Stihl
2. Johnserand (mostly European)
3. Husqvarna

HTH, and good luck. Â*Don't cheap out on a cheap saw. Â*You can fix and
maintain Stihl and Husky's from a common supplier. Â*So long as you don't
screw up the gas mix and run it without enough oil, the other problems are
nuts and bolts. Â*When you do go buy a good saw, you will have a $200 boat
anchor. Â*Don't listen to those who tell you Echo and Poulan and such are
good saws. Â*If you use it at all, you will burn it up, and be in the market
for a REAL saw.

Hmmmm....my Poulan has been working fine since I bought it in 2004.

Guess I got a lemon.

There ARE different levels of Poulan product. I believe one is
"poulan pro" - which is a HALF decent product. There cutesy mass
market CRAP isn't anywhere close to decent.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

wrote:

On Sep 13, 6:45*pm, "Steve B" wrote:
"Pointer" wrote in message

[...]

Poulan Wood Shark from Home Depot.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

*wrote:

I used to buy the junk saws at the big box home centers but none of them
ever lasted too long. All were hard to start and they didn't run worth a damn either.

Thats because the saws sold at lowes depot are chinasaws not chainsaws.

I'm agreeing too. *My current saw is a Poulan Wild Thing which worked
great at first but oil pump went out. *I had it repaired under warranty
and now out of warranty, I have to tie down the trigger to start it as
catch does not hold. *My son bought one too and it failed after a few
months so he returned it to HD for refund (only good thing you can say
about box store products).

I'll never buy another product which says, "for occasional use only".

Same saw I have...no problems for 7 years.

Oops, mine is a "Wood Shark".
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 14 Sep 2011 08:22:19 -0400, Frank
wrote:

I'll never buy another product which says, "for occasional use only".

Or one that says, "for use in California" :-/

They require spark arrestors on small engines (?). I've read they can
clog frequently, causing above normal service.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bob F" wrote:
Steve B wrote:
Keep your blades sharp, getting them
professionally sharpened, or buy a good Oregon sharpener. It will
make all the difference in the world.

I've never had a problem sharpening with a file. Does a sharpener really make
that much difference? I figured they would just eat away the chain 4 times
faster.

I tried to sharpen with a file. I guess I just don't have the knack. My
brother used a harbor freight sharpener and it came out sharp. I always get
in trouble cutting stumps. I got a Husqvarna. Easiest starting thing I
have. Sharpness sure makes a difference. I got the supplied extra chain so
I can keep one sharp.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

Stumps are wood, mixed with sand, rocks, and crud. Chainsaws
are not designed to cut stumps, or roots.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"gregz"
wrote in message

I always get in trouble cutting stumps.

I got a Husqvarna. Easiest starting thing I
have. Sharpness sure makes a difference.
I got the supplied extra chain so
I can keep one sharp.

Greg

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/14/2011 4:06 PM, Ron wrote:
On Sep 13, 6:45 pm, "Steve wrote:
wrote in message

Need a gasoline engine driven chain saw around 22-24 inches. Any first
hand recommendations?

Thanks

Three, in order of their quality

1. Stihl
2. Johnserand (mostly European)
3. Husqvarna

HTH, and good luck. Don't cheap out on a cheap saw. You can fix and
maintain Stihl and Husky's from a common supplier. So long as you don't
screw up the gas mix and run it without enough oil, the other problems are
nuts and bolts. When you do go buy a good saw, you will have a $200 boat
anchor. Don't listen to those who tell you Echo and Poulan and such are
good saws. If you use it at all, you will burn it up, and be in the market
for a REAL saw.

Hmmmm....my Poulan has been working fine since I bought it in 2004.

Guess I got a lemon.

has it cut 20 to 40 cords of hedge (osage orange) per year? or just
pruned redbuds in the fall?

--
Steve Barker

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve Barker" wrote in message
On 9/14/2011 4:06 PM, Ron wrote:
On Sep 13, 6:45 pm, "Steve
wrote:
wrote in message

[...]

I'm guessing that poulan has got cobwebs on it.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

On Sep 15, 1:30*am, Steve Barker wrote:
On 9/14/2011 4:06 PM, Ron wrote:

On Sep 13, 6:45 pm, "Steve *wrote:
*wrote in message

[...]

I bought it to cut up 2 oak trees that fell when Hurricane Charley
came through in '04. I bought a Home Depot brand (Homelite) at first
that crapped out halfway through the first tree. So returned it for
the Poulan.

Since then it has been used to cut up 2 more fallen oak trees
(neighbors trees) from storms.

It gets used once a year to prune 4 trees.

I used it a few months ago to cut up a LOT of 2x6s and 4x4s for a
friend of mine. He was removing a "gazebo" and a pool deck that was
built around an above ground pool.

AFA as hedges, I use a hedge cutter for those. And I have no clue what
"osage orange" is.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

On Sep 15, 5:26*am, "Ted" wrote:
"Steve Barker" wrote in message

On 9/14/2011 4:06 PM, Ron wrote:
On Sep 13, 6:45 pm, "Steve
wrote:
*wrote in message

[...]

Nope. Gets used when I need it and works fine. And I've cut **** that
I really shouldn't have with only a 14" bar. I EXPECTED it to crap out
by now, but it hasn't.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

On Sep 15, 5:26*am, "Ted" wrote:
"Steve Barker" wrote in message

On 9/14/2011 4:06 PM, Ron wrote:
On Sep 13, 6:45 pm, "Steve
wrote:

[...]

I really shouldn't have with only a 14" bar. I've EXPECTED it to crap
out by now, but it hasn't.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Pointer wrote:
Need a gasoline engine driven chain saw around 22-24 inches. Any first
hand recommendations?

Thanks

I have a couple of Echo saws that I bought 20+ years ago. The big one
is magnesium bodied and the little one is thick plastic. They are
great saws, and still run good, but they don't have as much power as
their cubic inches should deliver. Never did. The new ones at HD
look just as good as the old ones, but with the new EPA and CARB rules
I'd be afraid they would have lost even more power due to a
restrictive exhaust. Of course you could open that up... Also Echo
has a bad habit of discontinuing parts for their old saws. I could
understand dropping things like handles and housings, but there's no
excuse for ever discontinuing consumables like air cleaners.

I bought a Husqvarna 235e recently because it was on sale to cheap not
to buy it. ($150 new with a 16" bar, and I had a $20 coupon on top of
that) It does OK for what it is (lightweight "backup saw" for when I
don't want to drag out the big saw or it's in the shop or it's stuck
in a tree and I have to rescue it) but I couldn't recommend it. And I
don't think I'd buy anything with the Husky name on it unless it has
XP on the end of the model number.

If I were to buy a new saw (and didn't already have at least one good
one) I would seriously look at Sachs-Dolmar.

Whatever you get, plan on buying some new non-safety chain for it.
You wouldn't believe how much difference a "professional" chain makes
(like Oregon 91VXL or 72LPX, or Stihl or Carlton equivalents) and
chains are cheap if you order them off the Internet.

-Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 15 Sep 2011 05:25:30 -0700 (PDT), Ron
wrote:

On Sep 15, 1:30Â*am, Steve Barker wrote:
On 9/14/2011 4:06 PM, Ron wrote:

On Sep 13, 6:45 pm, "Steve Â*wrote:
Â*wrote in message

[...]

has it cut 20 to 40 cords of hedge (osage orange) per year? Â*or just
pruned redbuds in the fall?

I bought it to cut up 2 oak trees that fell when Hurricane Charley
came through in '04. I bought a Home Depot brand (Homelite) at first
that crapped out halfway through the first tree. So returned it for
the Poulan.

Since then it has been used to cut up 2 more fallen oak trees
(neighbors trees) from storms.

It gets used once a year to prune 4 trees.

I used it a few months ago to cut up a LOT of 2x6s and 4x4s for a
friend of mine. He was removing a "gazebo" and a pool deck that was
built around an above ground pool.

AFA as hedges, I use a hedge cutter for those. And I have no clue what
"osage orange" is.

From what I remember, it is "hard"
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 15 Sep 2011 05:43:09 -0700 (PDT), Ron
wrote:

On Sep 15, 5:26Â*am, "Ted" wrote:
"Steve Barker" wrote in message

On 9/14/2011 4:06 PM, Ron wrote:
On Sep 13, 6:45 pm, "Steve
wrote:

[...]

The 14 inch bar has likely saved the rest of it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bob F" wrote in message
Steve B wrote:
Keep your blades sharp, getting them
professionally sharpened, or buy a good Oregon sharpener. It will
make all the difference in the world.

I've never had a problem sharpening with a file. Does a sharpener really
make that much difference? I figured they would just eat away the chain 4
times faster.

If you know how to sharpen with just a file, why make it complicated and
more expense? The last time I went wood cutting, I was trying to get
together a 28' toyhauler, four ATVs, and all that go with that for a five
day trip. Having the chains sharpened at Ace for $16 was a no brainer.
That being said, I don't mind fiddling with sharpening them myself when I
have the time. They do work sweet when sharpened professionally, but I
question the amount of metal taken off, and whether it shortens the life of
the chain. To sharpen them on a really good sharpener, it seems you cut
some metal off every tooth, even the ones that don't need any taken off.
And I see it operated like a chop saw. What about the round surface? It
seems that is not touched.

Whatever winds yer clock, I guess. I found the best thing you can do is
keep it out of the dirt........... DAMHIKT

Steve

--
Please go to my facebook page, Heart Surgery Survival Guide and LIKE me so I
can get my domain name.

Heart surgery pending?
www.heartsurgerysurvivalguide.com
Heart Surgery Survival Guide on Facebook

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ron" wrote in message
On Sep 13, 6:45 pm, "Steve B" wrote:
"Pointer" wrote in message

Need a gasoline engine driven chain saw around 22-24 inches. Any first
hand recommendations?

Thanks

Three, in order of their quality

1. Stihl
2. Johnserand (mostly European)
3. Husqvarna

HTH, and good luck. Don't cheap out on a cheap saw. You can fix and
maintain Stihl and Husky's from a common supplier. So long as you don't
screw up the gas mix and run it without enough oil, the other problems are
nuts and bolts. When you do go buy a good saw, you will have a $200 boat
anchor. Don't listen to those who tell you Echo and Poulan and such are
good saws. If you use it at all, you will burn it up, and be in the market
for a REAL saw.

Hmmmm....my Poulan has been working fine since I bought it in 2004.

Guess I got a lemon.

reply: I've heard a hell of a lot more stories from people who have tossed
Poulan, Echo, and McCulloch chain saws than Stihl or Huskys. Yes, you got a
lemon. The factory designs them to fail within a short time. Either that,
or you did not use it much, and stuck to the directions pretty well.

Why is it that I NEVER see any Poulans on those logger TV shows? Or see a
professional arborist with a Poulan?

Steve

--
Please go to my facebook page, Heart Surgery Survival Guide and LIKE me so I
can get my domain name.

Heart surgery pending?
www.heartsurgerysurvivalguide.com
Heart Surgery Survival Guide
Now on facebook, too.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ron" wrote

Nope. Gets used when I need it and works fine. And I've cut **** that
I really shouldn't have with only a 14" bar. I EXPECTED it to crap out
by now, but it hasn't.

reply: Well, the OP DID request suggestions for a MUCH larger saw. Does
Poulan make 22-24" versions? Anyone here have a 22-24" Poulan that has
lasted any length of time?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/14/2011 4:06 PM, Ron wrote:

On Sep 13, 6:45 pm, "Steve wrote:
wrote in message

[...]

reply: Take it out and cut six cords of plain pine and get back to us.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

http://www.gpnc.org/osage.htm

--
Steve Barker
Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

On Sep 18, 1:53*pm, Steve Barker wrote:
On 9/15/2011 7:25 AM, Ron wrote:

AFA as hedges, I use a hedge cutter for those. And I have no clue what
"osage orange" is.

http://www.gpnc.org/osage.htm

snip

The wood is strong and so dense that it will neither rot nor succumb
to the attacks of termites or other insects for decades. The trees
also found use as an effective component of windbreaks and
shelterbelts.

snip

No doubt you would need a high end chainsaw to prune a row of those
every year.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

On Sep 15, 11:26*pm, "Steve B" wrote:
"Ron" wrote in message

On Sep 13, 6:45 pm, "Steve B" wrote:

"Pointer" wrote in message

[...]

Well, I'm not a logger. I don't use it professionally either. It get
used once or twice a year and works well for my needs.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve B" wrote in message

Why is it that I NEVER see any Poulans on those logger TV
shows? Or see a professional arborist with a Poulan?

Because the pro's don't want to climb 60' up a tree only to
have some cheap piece-of-**** chainsaw stall out/break?