Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Small Gasoline Engine RPM Fluctuates

I have a 31-ton hydraulic log splitter powered by an 8 HP Briggs & Stratton
gasoline engine. It's about 7 years old and we split about four cords a
year.

Several weeks ago, it wouldn't start. I changed the oil and replaced the
fuel filter, air filter and spark plug. I also took off the "pot" under the
carb that holds the gasoline and float, cleaning that out; there was a
little scum as if there had been water in there somewhere along the line. I
started it up and ran it for a few minutes, then shut it off.

This afternoon it wouldn't start until I shot some ether into the carb and
fiddled with the choke a bit. When it finally started running, we began to
split some logs. Although it split well, we both noticed that the engine RPM
was fluctuating noticeably, something it never did before to that degree.
After about six logs and ten minutes, it stopped dead and wouldn't start
again.

Any idea as to what might be causing this?

Paul

Posted to alt.home.repair

I would take that bowl (pot as you called it) off try and inspect for
contamination, you may still have water in the fuel system. also make sure
before you reassemble allparts are clean the float is properly adjusted and
go from there. After that it could be a number of things mis adjusted carb
air / fuel mixture, worn carb throttels shafts, carb / govenor links/
springs are damaged or missing , plugged airfilters, ect. Good luck

"Pavel314" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bubba" wrote in message
On Sun, 24 Feb 2008 17:53:59 -0500, "Pavel314"
wrote:

[...]

Paul,
Why not take it to a small engine repair shop and have it serviced for
once in its lifetime? Its given you plenty of good service now return
the favor to it.
Bubba

Or, invest some time and learn to fix it. Leaving you ready when it happens
again. These motors are not that complex.

O.P. - Either the carb has a problem (plugged jet, stuck float, etc) or you
didn't adjust the choke appropriately. You did replace old fuel with fresh?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Sounds like it may be running lean and searching.