Posted to alt.home.repair
Sacramento Dave

Default Small engine help

the engine on my lawn edger has started pulsating. the RPM's go high and
low. It has been sitting for awhile, but I do put gas saver in my gas before
winter. The edger is about a year old, If I hold the throttle linkage it
runs smooth, the linkage move when running. Any suggestions?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Pop

Start with a good external cleaning of everything that moves,
especially the linkage. Look for things rubbing, sticky, etc..
WD40 is good for cleaning. Air hose helps some too.

"Sacramento Dave" wrote in message
. com...
the engine on my lawn edger has started pulsating. the RPM's go
high and low. It has been sitting for awhile, but I do put gas
saver in my gas before winter. The edger is about a year old,
If I hold the throttle linkage it runs smooth, the linkage move
when running. Any suggestions?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

Sacramento Dave wrote:
the engine on my lawn edger has started pulsating. the RPM's go high
and low. It has been sitting for awhile, but I do put gas saver in my
gas before winter. The edger is about a year old, If I hold the
throttle linkage it runs smooth, the linkage move when running. Any
suggestions?

I would look for some sort of air leak, a loose screw or two (on the
edger, not you). I doubt if it was the gas, but it is possible that it has
gummed something up inside. If so since you can get it running, it should
clear out after a few more uses. Next year try to let it run dry after the
last use and dump the old gas in the your car's tank (unless it is a
diesel.) Even if you normally mix oil in it, it will not hurt the car.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair
digitalmaster

"Sacramento Dave" wrote in message
. com...
the engine on my lawn edger has started pulsating. the RPM's go high and
low. It has been sitting for awhile, but I do put gas saver in my gas
before winter. The edger is about a year old, If I hold the throttle
linkage it runs smooth, the linkage move when running. Any suggestions?

check your air filter..sometimes when they get dirty they will do that.
Is it a briggs and stratton engine with the carb mounted to the fuel tank???
If it is sometimes the carb base will warp and it will suck air between the
carb and the tank and get the same effect.

Posted to alt.home.repair
WConner

Well you have gotten several good suggestions. If nothing is apparent right
off, I would put some SeaFoam or similar product in the gasoline per
instructions. You may have developed a little varnish, moisture or other
contaminant in the carb over the winter. Sounds like it is lean.

Walt Conner

Posted to alt.home.repair
WConner

SeaFoam is the latest rage of gasoline additives similar to "Gumout" for
cutting carburator deposits, carbon in combustion chamber, pick up moisture
from fuel, etc. I have little experience with it but several on a small
engines list I monitor have good things to say about it. Our local Farm
Supply Store has it, I would expect most Auto Parts Stores and perhaps,
Wal-Mart. $5 - $6 per can.

Walt Conner

I'm not familiar with "Sea Foam". What is it and where can it be obtained?