B.B.

Default Update on Suzuki engine

In article ,
Ignoramus21002 wrote:

A police detective called me. I told him the full fedex story. After
realizing that I will not be home during his working hours, he asked
me to get a VIN number off the engine. He said that it should be there
in at least 3 places (any ideas where?)

I will call him back tomorrow with the vin number. He said that if the
engine is stolen, they would be interested (and, I suppose, take it off
my hands), and if it is not stolen, they would not be interested.

While you're looking for a VIN number, also look for pairs of cut-off
rivets or a ground-off area somewhere flat. That'll be where the VIN
used to be and a good indication your engine passed through a thief's
hands. At that point I'd call the detective and ask where he'd like the
engine delivered to.
However, it's pretty unlikely that there has ever actually been a VIN
on the engine, as vehicles in their normal life spans get engines
swapped out from time to time. You might have to give the detective the
engine serial number and tell him to see about getting a cross-reference
through Suzuki or one of their dealerships. Perhaps they'll accommodate
him where they wouldn't accommodate you. Let him know you tried and
give him any phone numbers you have written down.
If a VIN had been put on the engine after the fact for security
reasons, it's most likely going to be etched in the engine block itself.
If you don't find any likely candidates on the block it's a safe
assumption that there's no VIN anywhere on the rest of the engine.