Pete Snell

Default Update on Suzuki engine

Ignoramus21002 wrote:

A police detective called me. I told him the full fedex story. After
realizing that I will not be home during his working hours, he asked
me to get a VIN number off the engine. He said that it should be there
in at least 3 places (any ideas where?)

I don't think it will be in three places, but it is typically in one of
three places, maybe that's what he meant. It will be stamped into the
engine cases, or attached to them (metal tag riveted). Likely spots are
near the starter and clutch cover, near the bottom of the clutch cover
(the part with the sightglass), or somewhere near the sprocket. I'm
drawing a blank on where it would be for a GSXR, which is kinda
embarrasing cause I should know. If you're having a lot of trouble
finding it let me know and I'll ask a friend who WILL know.

I will call him back tomorrow with the vin number. He said that if the
engine is stolen, they would be interested (and, I suppose, take it off
my hands), and if it is not stolen, they would not be interested.

__
Pete Snell
Royal Military College
Kingston Ontario

The reasonable man adapts himself to the world;
the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself.
Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.
- George Bernard Shaw
JWho

"Ignoramus21002" wrote in message
On Thu, 27 Oct 2005 17:25:03 -0400, Pete Snell wrote:
Ignoramus21002 wrote:

A police detective called me. I told him the full fedex story. After
realizing that I will not be home during his working hours, he asked
me to get a VIN number off the engine. He said that it should be there
in at least 3 places (any ideas where?)

I don't think it will be in three places, but it is typically in one of
three places, maybe that's what he meant. It will be stamped into the
engine cases, or attached to them (metal tag riveted). Likely spots are
near the starter and clutch cover, near the bottom of the clutch cover
(the part with the sightglass), or somewhere near the sprocket. I'm
drawing a blank on where it would be for a GSXR, which is kinda
embarrasing cause I should know. If you're having a lot of trouble
finding it let me know and I'll ask a friend who WILL know.

I will check it out tonight. Maybe will make better pix, also. Thanks.

Check the right side of the crankcase. You are looking for the engine's
serial number, not the VIN.

I hope this helps.

JWho

"Ignoramus21002" wrote in message
OK. I set the engine vertically and looked quite closely. No trace of
the VIN number. I do not want to detective to come to my home. I need
some real urgent help on where may the VIN be located. Thanks.

Ignoramus21002 wrote:

[...]

You may want to search Google for "GSX-R" GSX" "GSXR" and forums message
board, etc. Someone that actually owns a GSX-R would be much better help
than me. For now, with the exhaust pointting forward, and you looking
forward like you are riding the bike, that is considered the right side in
bike descriptions.

Shawn

"Ignoramus21002" wrote in message
OK. I set the engine vertically and looked quite closely. No trace of
the VIN number. I do not want to detective to come to my home. I need
some real urgent help on where may the VIN be located. Thanks.

Uh, isn't this the engine serial number??

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/suzuki-motor/dscf0005.jpg

Shawn

The Davenport's

OK. I set the engine vertically and looked quite closely. No trace of
the VIN number. I do not want to detective to come to my home. I need
some real urgent help on where may the VIN be located. Thanks.

Uh, isn't this the engine serial number??

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/suzuki-motor/dscf0005.jpg

Shawn

I need a vin number. Not the engine serial number.

The only place you are going to get a VIN is from the frame tag that is
either mounted on the left side of the steering head or on the left side of
the lower frame...well, that's where almost all bikes have the VIN, anyway

Mike

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

replying to Shawn, JAMES wrote:
THis is on a motorcyle or a car?