Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

Default Gasoline engine driven chain saw recommendation

On Sep 15, 1:30*am, Steve Barker wrote:
On 9/14/2011 4:06 PM, Ron wrote:

On Sep 13, 6:45 pm, "Steve *wrote:
*wrote in message

Need a gasoline engine driven chain saw around 22-24 inches. *Any first
hand recommendations?

Thanks

Three, in order of their quality

1. *Stihl
2. Johnserand (mostly European)
3. Husqvarna

HTH, and good luck. *Don't cheap out on a cheap saw. *You can fix and
maintain Stihl and Husky's from a common supplier. *So long as you don't
screw up the gas mix and run it without enough oil, the other problems are
nuts and bolts. *When you do go buy a good saw, you will have a $200 boat
anchor. *Don't listen to those who tell you Echo and Poulan and such are
good saws. *If you use it at all, you will burn it up, and be in the market
for a REAL saw.

Hmmmm....my Poulan has been working fine since I bought it in 2004.

Guess I got a lemon.

has it cut 20 to 40 cords of hedge (osage orange) per year? *or just
pruned redbuds in the fall?

I bought it to cut up 2 oak trees that fell when Hurricane Charley
came through in '04. I bought a Home Depot brand (Homelite) at first
that crapped out halfway through the first tree. So returned it for
the Poulan.

Since then it has been used to cut up 2 more fallen oak trees
(neighbors trees) from storms.

It gets used once a year to prune 4 trees.

I used it a few months ago to cut up a LOT of 2x6s and 4x4s for a
friend of mine. He was removing a "gazebo" and a pool deck that was
built around an above ground pool.

AFA as hedges, I use a hedge cutter for those. And I have no clue what
"osage orange" is.