Posted to alt.home.repair

Default fixing old window - pic attached

my bed room windows is too old i need to do some repair (i.e. wood
filling, cleaning, painting etc). I am not sure how to open it to
clean it and do the wood filling. i could not find any youtube video
to show how to repair an old 2 hung window. any help would be very
much appreciated. the following are pictures of my windows which are
identicals

http://tinypic.com/r/2m43kzs/7
http://tinypic.com/r/2whnnva/7
Posted to alt.home.repair

I haven't seen a window like that in ages. Have a look at the site:

http://www.do-it-yourself-help.com/window_sash_cord_repair.html

Good link. If you live in a northern climate, it's too much effort
reworking an existing window like that. If you're on a budget (and
even if you're not...), Menard's has on-the-shelf pocket (replacement)
single-hung windows for $99 after rebate, and in today's flier they
have Jeld-Wen double-hungs for $130 or so. Any of them would be about
a hundred times more efficient & comfortable than what you have now.

It looks like you're on the second floor, so a minimum of ladder work
would be called for, but when you're done you're DONE. You can fill
those counterweight cavities with expanding foam and stay cozy & warm
all winter.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 10, 5:34*pm, leza wang wrote:
my bed room windows is too old i need to do some repair (i.e. wood
filling, cleaning, painting etc). I am not sure how to open it to
clean it and do the wood filling. i could not find any youtube video
to show how to repair an old 2 hung window. any help would be very
much appreciated. the following are pictures of my windows which are
identicals

http://tinypic.com/r/2m43kzs/7http:/...om/r/2whnnva/7

You just have to start taking them apart starrting with the stop
molding if it is actually holding in the window. I coulnt tell from
the pic. This looks like some windows I have seen where you remove the
rail the window slides on by pushing the window all the way down and
removing the screws from the top of the rail then slide the window up
to remove the screws on the bottom. You may not have to remove any
molding but new would certainly make it look better. I know picture is
worth a thousand words but some carefully chosen verbage would really
help describe what we are seeing here.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"leza wang" wrote in message
my bed room windows is too old i need to do some repair (i.e. wood
filling, cleaning, painting etc). I am not sure how to open it to
clean it and do the wood filling. i could not find any youtube video
to show how to repair an old 2 hung window. any help would be very
much appreciated. the following are pictures of my windows which are
identicals

http://tinypic.com/r/2m43kzs/7
http://tinypic.com/r/2whnnva/7

It does look like a second floor window so consider that when I say,

Most old double hung windows have long since been painted or caulked so that
the top sash does not move.
Removing the storm window allows access to both sashes. Repairs and glazing
can be applied in this manner without further damage or effort.

As designed the lower sash was removable from the inside, by removing the
interior trim along the inside edge of each window.
As designed the outer sash was removable from the inside, by removing the
parting bead, the rectangular shaped piece of vertical wood between the
sashes. After all these years of paint and caulk it is not likely to come
out with ease. Chances are it will break during removal.

So removing the storm window is your best option for repairing these.

--
Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 10, 2:34*pm, leza wang wrote:
my bed room windows is too old i need to do some repair (i.e. wood
filling, cleaning, painting etc). I am not sure how to open it to
clean it and do the wood filling. i could not find any youtube video
to show how to repair an old 2 hung window. any help would be very
much appreciated. the following are pictures of my windows which are
identicals

http://tinypic.com/r/2m43kzs/7http:/...om/r/2whnnva/7

Leza-

I see windows like these every day.......my SoCal house built in 1930
has 18 pair.

Are you wanting to repair / refurbish:

1) the sashes? (the moving parts of the a double hung window system
2) the frames & sill?

In any case the link posted by Oren & the description by Colbyt are
excellent guidance on how to proceed.

Do not underestimate the strength of paint holding things in place.
Use a utility knife to score the paint at joints to lessen the chance
of breaking wooden parts.
A bit of paint remover in the right places can really help.

As Joseph said, for no a lot of money you can have new modern windows.
I have restored my 1930 double hung windows; reglazed, epoxied, added
bronze weather stripping but they're still old tech.
I live in a mild climate so its not a huge issue.

Repair / restoring old double hung windows is a lot of work but
doable.

Most new window installs I've seen tend to have leak issues....make
sure you get a pro & a good guaranty if you go with new windows.
If you choose to DIY, make sure you understand the water intrusion
issues.

cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

Most old double hung windows have long since been painted or caulked
so that the top sash does not move.
Removing the storm window allows access to both sashes. Repairs and
glazing can be applied in this manner without further damage or
effort.
As designed the lower sash was removable from the inside, by
removing the interior trim along the inside edge of each window.
As designed the outer sash was removable from the inside, by
removing the parting bead, the rectangular shaped piece of vertical
wood between the sashes. After all these years of paint and caulk it
is not likely to come out with ease. Chances are it will break during
removal.
So removing the storm window is your best option for repairing these.

Windows like this can be easily opened by tapping the corner of a 1" putty knife
into the "gap" between the window and the trim, then straightening it so the
flat tip is evenly maybe 1/4" in between the window and the trim. Then, use a
hammer to tap the edge of the blade, guideing it with your hand on the handle so
it moves through the "gap", breaking the paint connection. Done carefully, this
can free the window without damage.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"leza wang" wrote in message
my bed room windows is too old i need to do some repair (i.e. wood
filling, cleaning, painting etc). I am not sure how to open it to
clean it and do the wood filling. i could not find any youtube video
to show how to repair an old 2 hung window. any help would be very
much appreciated. the following are pictures of my windows which are
identicals

http://tinypic.com/r/2m43kzs/7
http://tinypic.com/r/2whnnva/7

Unless the house has some historical significance, don't even try. You can
buy replacement windows that will seal better, tilt in for cleaning, and
save energy. Not to mention just plain work better. I used to sell and
install them years ago. Once you've done a few, you can do a window in less
than 30 minutes start to finish.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in
:

"leza wang" wrote in message
..
.
my bed room windows is too old i need to do some repair (i.e. wood
filling, cleaning, painting etc). I am not sure how to open it to
clean it and do the wood filling. i could not find any youtube video
to show how to repair an old 2 hung window. any help would be very
much appreciated. the following are pictures of my windows which are
identicals

http://tinypic.com/r/2m43kzs/7
http://tinypic.com/r/2whnnva/7

Unless the house has some historical significance, don't even try.
You can buy replacement windows that will seal better, tilt in for
cleaning, and save energy. Not to mention just plain work better. I
used to sell and install them years ago. Once you've done a few, you
can do a window in less than 30 minutes start to finish.

Don't disagree with you at al Ed. I would not think to do anything but
replace it.

OP is on 2nd floor. Need to mention window gets installed from outside as
far as I know.

fixing window JTM UK diy 3 October 9th 10 07:34 PM
Fixing new window sil [email protected] UK diy 4 October 17th 07 09:28 PM
Window board fixing. 4square UK diy 25 May 1st 07 05:25 PM
fixing a hard to slide window jsb Home Repair 0 October 3rd 05 05:38 AM
Fixing to PVA window frames Roly UK diy 12 March 23rd 04 09:37 AM