Roly

Default Fixing to PVA window frames

A friend has asked me to help her fix some net curtains to a PVA
double glazed bay window.

How should I fasten them ?

There is no wood, just plastic.

My inclination is to drill a hole and screw into it, but what is
likely to be behind it ?

Is it strong enough ?

What about making good the hole afterwards if it proves to be in an
unsuitable position ? - You can's just use filler and paint. It won't
match.
Bob Minchin

Roly wrote in message ...
A friend has asked me to help her fix some net curtains to a PVA
double glazed bay window.

How should I fasten them ?

There is no wood, just plastic.

My inclination is to drill a hole and screw into it, but what is
likely to be behind it ?

Is it strong enough ?

What about making good the hole afterwards if it proves to be in an
unsuitable position ? - You can's just use filler and paint. It won't
match.

Some have metal inside some not. sniff around with a compass, might give you
a clue. Or take out one hinge screw at a time and look down the hole.
Screws should hold ok. afterall the hinges are screwed into the frame.

No second chance by filling holes so get it right first time

David Hearn

Roly wrote:
A friend has asked me to help her fix some net curtains to a PVA
double glazed bay window.

How should I fasten them ?

There is no wood, just plastic.

My inclination is to drill a hole and screw into it, but what is
likely to be behind it ?

Is it strong enough ?

What about making good the hole afterwards if it proves to be in an
unsuitable position ? - You can's just use filler and paint. It won't
match.

We did this a couple of weeks ago. 1mm pilot hole and small hook screwed
into the bay corner. Whilst they have reinforced bay poles inside, they
usually have a few mm clearance behind - so no problem drilling. No
problems so far. Just make sure you get the height/position right first
time. Measure, hold up nets and check height and get it right first time!

Incidentally, the biggest problem I've had is fixing the end hooks into the
wall. The hooks keep pulling out the plugs (or plugs out the wall). Small
1mm type hooks don't work well with even the smallest plugs as they're not
long/large enough to open them out. Downstairs we didn't need plugs and
managed to screw it right into the plaster/mortar and its held perfectly.

David

Tim Hardisty

On Mon, 22 Mar 2004 10:16:44 -0000, "David Hearn"
wrote:

Roly wrote:
A friend has asked me to help her fix some net curtains to a PVA
double glazed bay window.

How should I fasten them ?

Incidentally, the biggest problem I've had is fixing the end hooks into the
wall. The hooks keep pulling out the plugs (or plugs out the wall). Small
1mm type hooks don't work well with even the smallest plugs as they're not
long/large enough to open them out.

What I do is drill a small hole and use matchsticks to fill the hole.
Then screw the hook (or whatever) in. Sometimes a blob of glue on the
screw helps as this binds with the matchstick to give a stronger grip
to the screw - almost a cast-in-situ custom rawl plug moulded to fit
the threads perfectly.

YMMV.

Tim Hardisty.
Remove HAT before replying
yorkie_pudd

Why damage them irreversibly with screw holes etc.

You can buy metal extending rods for net curtains, they just slot onto a pin
and holder that has an adhesive pad on the back and attaches to the window
frame. Easy to fit, cheap, non-destructive, completely universal and dead
easy to take down for washing etc. and if you ever tire of them they can be
removed without damage.

What could be better?

wrote:

Roly wrote:
[...]

David Hearn

Well, for our simple bay window you would need to buy 3 sets and would
probably work best with separate nets for each pole (with noticable
gap/overlap between each)- unless putting 3 poles through 1 net is the
idea!. For a more complex bow window you'd need more like 5. Using the
wire would probably cost less than £2 depending where you picked the wire up
from. Irreversible damage would be 2x 1mm holes in the frame corner. In
our situation, you can't really notice them when the screw is out, and
certainly not when the nets are up.

How do you remove the adhesive pad without leaving a mark/anything behind?

Your method is probably the best in doing absolutely no real damage to the
frame - but I'm not sure how it would actually work with bay windows.

Thanks

David

wrote:

Roly wrote:
A friend has asked me to help her fix some net curtains to a PVA
double glazed bay window.

How should I fasten them ?
Incidentally, the biggest problem I've had is fixing the end hooks
into the wall. The hooks keep pulling out the plugs (or plugs out
the wall). Small 1mm type hooks don't work well with even the
smallest plugs as they're not long/large enough to open them out.

What I do is drill a small hole and use matchsticks to fill the hole.
Then screw the hook (or whatever) in. Sometimes a blob of glue on the
screw helps as this binds with the matchstick to give a stronger grip
to the screw - almost a cast-in-situ custom rawl plug moulded to fit
the threads perfectly.

YMMV.

Tim Hardisty.
Remove HAT before replying

David Hearn

MBQ wrote:
(Lurch) wrote in message
On 21 Mar 2004 13:41:04 -0800, in uk.d-i-y
(Roly)
strung together this:

A friend has asked me to help her fix some net curtains to a PVA
double glazed bay window.

ITYM PVC.

How should I fasten them ?

As you would with a wooden frame.

There is no wood, just plastic.

My inclination is to drill a hole and screw into it,

You've got it. That should be fine.

but what is
likely to be behind it ?

Most probably, air. At least for a few mm, then probably aluminium.
Plenty of space to screw a net curtain hook into.

Have you ever actually done it?

If you're using the springy plastic coated wire type stuff threaded
through the top of the nets then it depends on the width of the window
and the weight of the nets. The tension you need to stop any droop in
the middle can be enough to slowly rip the hooks out of a uPVC frame.
You need to use a bigger hook, certainly not a "net curtain hook".

Our 10mm Screwfix hooks using very high tension (so high its difficult to
hook it over the 2nd hook) is fine. No signs of pulling out after nearly a
month, or damage to the frames. Of course, we've fixed the ends into
brick - rather than the uPVC. I could imagine if the ends were put into
frames and subjected to 90 degree forces (ie. sideways) they would likely
bend/twist out of the frame. In our cases, they're just being pulled
forwards, which appears to be okay.

David

dmc

In article ,
yorkie_pudd wrote:

You can buy metal extending rods for net curtains, they just slot onto a pin
and holder that has an adhesive pad on the back and attaches to the window
frame. Easy to fit, cheap, non-destructive, completely universal and dead
easy to take down for washing etc. and if you ever tire of them they can be
removed without damage.

What could be better?

I my experience (ok, limited to two brands!) ones that didn't go all gooooey
and fall off when the temps in my conservatory got too hot :-)

Darren

Tim Hardisty

On Mon, 22 Mar 2004 11:12:19 -0000, "yorkie_pudd"
wrote:

top posting corrected. Yawn

"Tim Hardisty" wrote in message
On Mon, 22 Mar 2004 10:16:44 -0000, "David Hearn"
wrote:

Roly wrote:

snip question on securely fixing small hooks into a WALL

snip suggestion on how to use matchsticks and glue for this

snip info on fixing to window frames

What could be better?

It might be better if you realised the point I was answering was
related to fixings into the wall not the frames.

Tim Hardisty.
Remove HAT before replying