David Hearn

Default Fixing to PVA window frames

Roly wrote:
A friend has asked me to help her fix some net curtains to a PVA
double glazed bay window.

How should I fasten them ?

There is no wood, just plastic.

My inclination is to drill a hole and screw into it, but what is
likely to be behind it ?

Is it strong enough ?

What about making good the hole afterwards if it proves to be in an
unsuitable position ? - You can's just use filler and paint. It won't
match.

We did this a couple of weeks ago. 1mm pilot hole and small hook screwed
into the bay corner. Whilst they have reinforced bay poles inside, they
usually have a few mm clearance behind - so no problem drilling. No
problems so far. Just make sure you get the height/position right first
time. Measure, hold up nets and check height and get it right first time!

Incidentally, the biggest problem I've had is fixing the end hooks into the
wall. The hooks keep pulling out the plugs (or plugs out the wall). Small
1mm type hooks don't work well with even the smallest plugs as they're not
long/large enough to open them out. Downstairs we didn't need plugs and
managed to screw it right into the plaster/mortar and its held perfectly.

David