Posted to alt.home.repair
DD_BobK DD_BobK is offline

Default fixing old window - pic attached

On Jul 10, 2:34*pm, leza wang wrote:
my bed room windows is too old i need to do some repair (i.e. wood
filling, cleaning, painting etc). I am not sure how to open it to
clean it and do the wood filling. i could not find any youtube video
to show how to repair an old 2 hung window. any help would be very
much appreciated. the following are pictures of my windows which are
identicals

http://tinypic.com/r/2m43kzs/7http:/...om/r/2whnnva/7

Leza-

I see windows like these every day.......my SoCal house built in 1930
has 18 pair.

Are you wanting to repair / refurbish:

1) the sashes? (the moving parts of the a double hung window system
2) the frames & sill?

In any case the link posted by Oren & the description by Colbyt are
excellent guidance on how to proceed.

Do not underestimate the strength of paint holding things in place.
Use a utility knife to score the paint at joints to lessen the chance
of breaking wooden parts.
A bit of paint remover in the right places can really help.

As Joseph said, for no a lot of money you can have new modern windows.
I have restored my 1930 double hung windows; reglazed, epoxied, added
bronze weather stripping but they're still old tech.
I live in a mild climate so its not a huge issue.

Repair / restoring old double hung windows is a lot of work but
doable.

Most new window installs I've seen tend to have leak issues....make
sure you get a pro & a good guaranty if you go with new windows.
If you choose to DIY, make sure you understand the water intrusion
issues.

cheers
Bob