Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Warning ... Whirlpool Fridge Unserviceable

Rant on ......

I got a new Whirlpool side by side fridge 2 years ago. So,
yesterday I was changing its horribly expensive water filter for the
water and ice. So I decided to check the condenser coils for
cleaning. To my amazement they were packed with dirt. Now comes
the good (actually bad) part. While you can vacuum the front-most
coil, where most to the dirt collects, all of the remaining coils
are not cleanable. Sure, you could tip the fridge on its side and
get it from the bottom. The coils are zig-zagged starting in front,
going up at 45 degrees to the floor towards the rear. As you go
towards the rear the coils then go down at 45 degrees and so on.
There are about 4 or so of these up and down coils. The front-most
coil blocks access to all the rear coils. There's no room to get
into the sides, only the bottom. I looked at the manual and it
says, "There is no need for routine condenser cleaning in normal
home operating environments." What? I've never seen a condenser,
even in the cleanest homes, that doesn't need periodic cleaning.
Even my old built-in Kitchen Aid with the condenser on the top,
needed cleaning. How can they even claim Energy Star Compliance?
I called they "Customer Experience" line. I know why they call it
that ... every time I have talked to them, it was literally an
experience! They were of NO HELP, as usual. I talked to the
supervisor. She was of NO HELP. I asked about how they can claim
"Energy Star" compliance and she said "it is Energy Star compliant",
litterally ignoring what I had said. Luckily, I was able to drag
the hose from the garage air compressor, up the stairs and blow out
the coil .... everyone has an air compressor, right? If the house
had a particularly greasy environment, I'm sure the air might not
clean the further back.

BTW, this isn't the only problem with this unit. There are many.
The most frustrating one is that frost builds up in the ice maker.
You have to chisel the ice build up and that's if you can remove the
ice bucket/grinder. They replaced the entire door. Still does it.
The authorized repair guy said that if this where a house with 5
kids and no AC he might expect this. He said that his engineering
contact at WP told him, to tell the customer that it was the
customers' responsibility to keep the parts free of ice build up.
He told me he wouldn't tell HIS customers that, although in a round
about way, he did. That's why he changed the entire door.

Sorry for venting.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Jun 18, 9:25*am, Art Todesco wrote:
[...]

No need to apologize. With the prices of these appliances these days,
having a lemon in the house is beyond merely aggravating.

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Art Todesco wrote:

The most frustrating one is that frost builds up in the ice maker.
You have to chisel the ice build up and that's if you can remove the
ice bucket/grinder.

I bought a side-by-side whirlpool about two years ago, that was about
two years old when I bought it. Had the ice build-up problem until I
figured out that the dispenser door can get lodged ajar by a piece of
ice. That leads to a melt/freeze cycle that creates an ice jam. Once in
the habit of checking that the flapper closes securely, the problem
stopped.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Sorry to hear. I repair refrigerators, and some other
appliances. Usually, Whirlpool are easy to repair, and the
parts are reasonably priced. Sounds like they made a mess of
this one.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Art Todesco" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

.

[...]

I don't know that the way the Whirpool is built is so unusual.
I have a two year old Kitchenaid side by side and while I
can see the front of the coils, I also can't see any way
to clean anything but a small portion. Which is somewhat
understandable, since they have the coils underneath, not
in the back where they were out in the open. My complaint
is that they should then include a filter which is at the
front and accessible.

As for meeting Energy Star, that's easy to explain. There
is a series of govt tests that must be met and AFAIK,
they have nothing to do with the coils being accessible.
How much impact having some dirt accumulate on the
condenser over the years would make on efficiency is
anyone's guess.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 18 Jun 2011 23:16:05 +0000 (UTC), "A. Baum"
wrote:

On Sat, 18 Jun 2011 10:25:34 -0400, Art Todesco wrote:

snip

[...]

Don't feel too bad. I bought a Sears Kenmore side by side with ice maker,
front door water and ice dispenser and had nothing but trouble with it 3
years after purchase. Had the ice maker paddles replaced, door electronic
controls replaced a couple times. Then I came home to a flooded kitchen
floor one day. The electronics had decided to switch on the water
dispenser. On inspection there were several fried components on the
control board. I took this up with Sears and after just a week of
arbitration received a $2200 credit with Sears to pick out any fridge I
wanted. I found a nice Samsung over/under for $2100. Sears also payed
for the water cleanup and damage to downstairs carpeting. So all in all I
can't really bitch too much besides the horror of walking into a flooded
kitchen and the week inconvenience of not having a fridge. Luckily I have
an old Kenmore out in the garage for beer that served well in my time of
need

They don't make 'em like they used to.
I replaced our GE top-freezer last year after the compressor seized.
A 500 buck fridge lasting only 9 years.
And the compressor was banging after 5-6 years.
At least there was no maintenance. Plain Jane model.
The new Kenmore bottom freezer was about $800 and I have no idea how
long it will last.
Seems they're all made in Mexico now, and the compressors are sealed
units.
Like you, I have a spare, but in the basement.
A Westinghouse that has to be over 50 years old.. Single door with
the small flap door freezer inside. Works every time, quietly.
The one that failed had the same deal with most of the coils being
unreachable. And I have dogs.
Haven't tipped the new one yet to look at the coils.
As Art said, you need compressed air.

--Vic

--Vic
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

[...]

In a time of great need, you can hire a Brit to drink warm beer for
you.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Probably for appearance sake.

Filter in front would clog regularly, and rapidly. Most
people would never clean the filter, as like most people
never brush and vacuum the coils as it is. Filter would lead
to more warranty calls, as the units overheat sooner.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote in message

My complaint is that they should then include
a filter which is at the front and accessible.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Vic Smith wrote:
They don't make 'em like they used to.

[snip]
Like you, I have a spare, but in the basement.
A Westinghouse that has to be over 50 years old.. Single door with
the small flap door freezer inside. Works every time, quietly.

My fridge is a Sears Coldspot that I bought used when I bought my house over
20 years ago, and it is still running like a top. The only issue is that
the evaporator coil drainage hose is disconnected somewhere, and the
drippings end up in a little pan I keep in the fridge.

I have the empty the little pan more often in the summer than in the winter,
but that's par for the course, at least until (or if) I ever tear into the
unit far enough to reconnect or unplug the hose.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

I have a side by side whirlpool fridge could no clean back coils got out my small electric leave blower putonhigh coils are nice and clean fridge working fine problem solved
Posted to alt.home.repair

It's been 5 years since Art posted his cleaning problem, so if he cleans it every 2 years he has cleaned it twice since his OP. He is still lurking in this group and has not posted about this particular problem again, so his air compressor must do the trick. He could tell us how he cleans up the dirt from the fridge/freezer that now is scattered all over his kitchen or wherever he keeps the freezer.....
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/15/2016 10:42 AM, wrote:
It's been 5 years since Art posted his cleaning problem, so if he cleans it every 2 years he has cleaned it twice since his OP. He is still lurking in this group and has not posted about this particular problem again, so his air compressor must do the trick. He could tell us how he cleans up the dirt from the fridge/freezer that now is scattered all over his kitchen or wherever he keeps the freezer.....

Well, I replaced the fridge because the door arrangement just didn't fit
in you kitchen. We originally wanted the French door thing, but at that
time, they were new and very pricey. The condenser coils were on the
bottom right side, near the front. But to clean the coils, you really
had to access it from the right side of the unit which of course, is a
solid side, which was not good. So, I put the vacuum hose on the left
side of the condenser unit and ran an air hose up from the basement to
blow it out injecting the air in the right side. The vacuum picked up
most of the blow through, but some did still come out. What a pain. I
replaced it with another WP French door unit which was pretty nice,
however, I have yet to look for the coils. And, the big problem is this
unit is susceptible to power glitches. We were gone for a week and came
home to a unit that had shut down and all the food spoiled. When I told
the "WP Experience Center" (and it WAS an experience) that a
refrigerator must be fault tolerant and must run 24/7/365, she told me
that is worked as it should and that's it. I asked if they have it in
their sales brochure, that it shuts down and spoils food ... no answer.
I'm still working this one. More later.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 15 Jun 2016 13:03:53 -0400, Art Todesco
wrote:

When I told
the "WP Experience Center" (and it WAS an experience) that a
refrigerator must be fault tolerant and must run 24/7/365, she told me
that is worked as it should and that's it. I asked if they have it in
their sales brochure, that it shuts down and spoils food ... no answer.
I'm still working this one. More later.

While you're working -- check into subrogation law, warranties and
such. I have a friend that works for a subrogation law office.
Interesting stuff. The lawyer once won a significant case (Millions)
against appliance manufactures.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren posted for all of us...

wrote:

When I told
the "WP Experience Center" (and it WAS an experience) that a
refrigerator must be fault tolerant and must run 24/7/365, she told me
that is worked as it should and that's it. I asked if they have it in
their sales brochure, that it shuts down and spoils food ... no answer.
I'm still working this one. More later.

While you're working -- check into subrogation law, warranties and
such. I have a friend that works for a subrogation law office.
Interesting stuff. The lawyer once won a significant case (Millions)
against appliance manufactures.

Better call Saul...

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, June 15, 2016 at 8:19:38 AM UTC-4, wrote:
I have a side by side whirlpool fridge could no clean back coils got out my small electric leave blower putonhigh coils are nice and clean fridge working fine problem solved

I've been trying to figure out how to clean these coils since I do not have a compressed air tank and I don't think that one of those cans of compressed air for cleaning electronics would be strong enough. But I do have a leaf blower that I think I will try tonight. But I am concerned that it will make a mess.

Thanks
Posted to alt.home.repair

Have a Whirlpool French door/bottom drawer freezer. The coil set up is the zig zag rows described earlier. We take the front grill off, clean whats accessible with the crevice tool of the vaccum cleaner. Theres still tons of dust. We wet towels and wring them out pretty dry and place along the edges of the refrigerator (which is pulled out). With the back plate on the back unscrewed and tipped we put more wet towels along the floor where the dust is most likely to blow. Then we blow from the front to the back with a homemade compressed air bottle. Takes about three fills of air to do a good job. Replace back plate, replace grill, pick up wet towels with dust trapped in them, move refrigerator back, turn on. Repeat as needed ( once or twice a year). I like the leaf blower idea.
Posted to alt.home.repair

danmaa... excellent idea with the damp towels and air compressor. When I suggested an air compressor to my husband he said it'll make a mess all over the kitchen.