Posted to alt.home.repair
Jon Danniken[_4_] Jon Danniken[_4_] is offline

Default Warning ... Whirlpool Fridge Unserviceable

hr(bob) wrote:

Yeah - It is interesting how we will put up with something like you
describe because to actually fix the problem is just too inconvenient,
even if the accumulated time for the minor inconvenience would be much
more than getting in there and actually fixing the problem. Human
nature is interesting.

Have you ever tried putting a refrigerator back together after tearing it
apart? It isn't easy!

The last time I attempted to fix it, I had the freezer apart to the
evaporator coil, and thawed out the unit. I tried probing the drain with a
length of cord from a string trimmer, but it stopped at something (what I
suspect is the disconnection) about six inches in.

At this point I would need to tear apart the inside of the fridge to see if
I could fix it, which, being a bit more complicated than getting access to
the evap coil, would entail removing the entire inside shell of the fridge
(it's in one large piece, unlike the freezer) to get access to where the
hose goes through the insulation in the back.

It's a lot like working with a car's interior - there are a lot of little
clips that you have to know the trick to reasembly, as well as having a
ready supply of replacement clips for when you eventually break one.

Maybe one of these years.

Jon